• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How to stop blowing belt on a M1000?

AaronBND

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2005
Cascade Mnts, OR.
Literally fragged a brand new XS817 today going down a trail in about 8" of powder (I know MrQuick68, you told me they were crank killers but I had already bought 2 of them)! I am running the Cutler secondary kit and a ton of venting and the things get smokin' hot. I have to find a way to cool the clutches down. I am also geared down to 57/63 gearing. My question is, I know you have to check the alignment but how can you adjust it on the M1000. I don't have any shims or anything behind the secondary clutch. Is new motor mounts the only way? Thanks in advance...........

Aaron

sledstormed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
Idaho
I bought the Twisted Turbo motor mount kit. It has a stop (mag side) and a mount (pto side) that keeps the motor from twisting so much. Only have one ride on the kit so far and the clutches did feel cooler. Only time will tell if it works...

harf69

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
which clutch is hotter thats going to tell you which clutch needs to be addressed and check and see what the clutch side mounts look like the 08 clutch mounts are the strongest and i would make sure there is atleast one shim behind the secondary pm me if you have any questions ill try to help

AaronBND

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2005
Cascade Mnts, OR.
What are you running for a secondary setup? Have you changed to the cutler orange spring yet or are you still running the red/white setup?

I am running the Cutler 40-36* helix with the red/white spring right now in the 4th hole. Thinking of trying the Orange.

Aaron

P.S. Primary felt hotter...........

Last edited:

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
what are "all"(absolutely anything not stock) the mods, elevation(where), peak rpm, what clutch weights would help a bunch, rider weight, did you break in the belt, what speed did it blow at, Do you know clutch spring load ratings,. All this info can help us help you even if you list to much its better. chances are someone has had the same thing happen and might have a good idea.
Those belts are similar to the 060 right?

K

killerrf

Nov 27, 2007
sk
which clutch is hotter thats going to tell you which clutch needs to be addressed and check and see what the clutch side mounts look like the 08 clutch mounts are the strongest and i would make sure there is atleast one shim behind the secondary pm me if you have any questions ill try to help

how do you know the '08 m1000 mounts are the strongest? they are stonger than '09's?

L

lightening800

Sep 4, 2004
northern alberta
i think they all need the extra mount, my 09 has been perfect and i ran it both weekends in 3' of fresh snow, i just put in a bit heavier primary weights 82g and put in a 120-315 primary spring, works real well. this is at 6-7000' i also have the mount cups that go over them to stop them from moving too.

Bill1010630

Lifetime Membership
Dec 9, 2007
British Columbia
Blown belts

Literally fragged a brand new XS817 today going down a trail in about 8" of powder (I know MrQuick68, you told me they were crank killers but I had already bought 2 of them)! I am running the Cutler secondary kit and a ton of venting and the things get smokin' hot. I have to find a way to cool the clutches down. I am also geared down to 57/63 gearing. My question is, I know you have to check the alignment but how can you adjust it on the M1000. I don't have any shims or anything behind the secondary clutch. Is new motor mounts the only way? Thanks in advance...........

Aaron

I had the same problem with my 08 M1000SP and it wasn't resolved until I installed vents and pulled all the insulation out.Side vents only are not sufficient, heat rises and must be able to come out at the top of the hood.

H

HiWaYman92

Dec 14, 2008
Pinedale, Wyoming
Gauge Cage of some sort! I run the 046 belt, I like it a lot better than the spendy one. Adds about 200 RPM, which is about right for my altitude.

B

bradburck

Jan 13, 2008
Colorado
same here

Gauge Cage of some sort! I run the 046 belt, I like it a lot better than the spendy one. Adds about 200 RPM, which is about right for my altitude.

X2 here... gauge cage and the 046. May have you keep the XS belts for back-ups my friend. I've had MUCH better results with the 046, and as stated above, the extra 200 rpms is perfect for our altitude. Many companies have clutch alignment tools and they are shimmed through the secondary. Best of luck...

gopher-it!

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
spring

i think they all need the extra mount, my 09 has been perfect and i ran it both weekends in 3' of fresh snow, i just put in a bit heavier primary weights 82g and put in a 120-315 primary spring, works real well. this is at 6-7000' i also have the mount cups that go over them to stop them from moving too.

what primary spring is this, been looking for something similar.

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
have you checked to see if the secondary rollers have walloed? out the centers? have seen several M's using belts that never did before and this was thier problem.

AaronBND

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2005
Cascade Mnts, OR.
what are "all"(absolutely anything not stock) the mods, elevation(where), peak rpm, what clutch weights would help a bunch, rider weight, did you break in the belt, what speed did it blow at, Do you know clutch spring load ratings,. All this info can help us help you even if you list to much its better. chances are someone has had the same thing happen and might have a good idea.
Those belts are similar to the 060 right?

I am 5-8K, 200lbs, mods are listed in my signature, was trying a XS817, but now it's a 060, it blew at about 50mph on the trail, primary is way to hot, no shims came behind the primary, titanium yellow/white primary, 75gram weights (I have 80g. coming to try. Seems to light to me), Cutler secondary with red/white spring in 4th hole. Secondary rollers are good and I already have a gauge cage and tons of venting.

Aaron

Last edited:

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
Aaron - I'm not going to rub it in, oh wait - YES I am!!! Don't run that chitty belt!!! BOOOOOOM!

now - there's a LOT of talk about belt blowing on 1000's and i feel it my responsibility (cough, hack, BS!) to let you guys know the personal nightmare i went through last year mangling belt after F'ing Belt with no help from my dealer...

SO - learn something from the turbo guys - damn, learn something from me and all my mistakes and experiences! How is the Crazy Canadian running all those chutes and not blowing belt after belt!?

I think Shane probably has it nailed down with his kit - add the sixth motor mount and try to get your hands on some stiffer mounts. (440 sno-pro race sled???) As for 08 mounts being stiffer, i'd doubt they are stiffer as a whole as the 09 runs one SOLID mount in the front on the PTO side. Funny - even with the stiffer mount the 09s mangled belts just as fast the 08s and 07s!? Makes ya think???

Until you figure the motor movement out, you can clutch to your hearts content and it will keep on blowin' belts. I've tried it ALL. You got fix the problem first. Then start clutching.

Also - you'd be surprised how little weight you really need with an M1000 that's geared down... Aaron, at 75g were u over revving??? I bet you weren't or if u were, not by much! Why would you go heavier then???

Last edited:
Premium Features