• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New trailer!

D

dale dalueg

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 3, 2011
That is one sweet trailer.

299500_243852295669826_203136766408046_650473_1492843120_n.jpg

299500_243852305669825_203136766408046_650475_1156302024_n.jpg

299500_243852309003158_203136766408046_650476_1601253453_n.jpg

299500_243852302336492_203136766408046_650474_582503886_n.jpg

Made by Double R trailers in Nampa, ID.

29' long (I think its actually31' but officialy its 29') , 8 1/2' wide. 7k axles, polybead flooring, cabinets, 40gallon fuel station, 42k btu heater, 5500w Cummins/Onan built into the lower cabinet.

Soon as I get my sled put back together I'm gonna be ready for winter! :)

Slednoggin23

Lifetime Membership
Nov 21, 2007
Wyoming
Curb weight was 5250, payload capacity of 8750 :D

GVWR on it is 14,000-lbs .... so I'm prepared for the day the EPA makes us all ride 4 strokes lol

Very very nice trailer!!!! Now load it up and go hook a ecoboost to it and take it north on 191 to hiway 44 and back. That road will test the F-150 real good.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
sweet trailer! what kind of rig do you have to tow that thing?

Nothing excessive ... 2005 Chevrolet 2500HD with 3.73 gears and an 8.1L big block :)

I've only towed it on one trip which was bringing it from ID to UT .... truck was pulling it at 75 mph down the interstate in OD .... Contrary to popular belief you don't need a diesel to pull a trailer ;)

I figure the most loaded I'll ever have this thing in snowmobile trim is probably 8,000-lbs, which a big block will pull just fine. I think that's about the limit I'd want to pull with it, but up to that my lil' truck will be just fine.

V
Jul 4, 2008
orem, utah
Nothing excessive ... 2005 Chevrolet 2500HD with 3.73 gears and an 8.1L big block :)

I've only towed it on one trip which was bringing it from ID to UT .... truck was pulling it at 75 mph down the interstate in OD .... Contrary to popular belief you don't need a diesel to pull a trailer ;)

I figure the most loaded I'll ever have this thing in snowmobile trim is probably 8,000-lbs, which a big block will pull just fine. I think that's about the limit I'd want to pull with it, but up to that my lil' truck will be just fine.

nice, yeah that truck will def get the job done. What kind of mpgs did ya get on the trip?? :)

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Are you going to put a piece of angle down in front of your cabinets? Skis are going to bang the front of that up pretty bad without some kind of protection. Really nice trailer.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
nice, yeah that truck will def get the job done. What kind of mpgs did ya get on the trip?? :)

~8 ... pretty much what I expected. I just downsized the tires back to 265's, so that'll help slightly.

Are you going to put a piece of angle down in front of your cabinets? Skis are going to bang the front of that up pretty bad without some kind of protection. Really nice trailer.

Nah eventually it'll get ski guides, but for now I'm just gonna be careful with it.

V
Jul 4, 2008
orem, utah
~8 ... pretty much what I expected. I just downsized the tires back to 265's, so that'll help slightly.

Nah eventually it'll get ski guides, but for now I'm just gonna be careful with it.

8 Isnt too bad at all. i have a 3/4 ton chev with the 6.0 and the 4l80e trans with 4.10 gears and i pretty much get 10 no matter what. I have no towed anything that size though, i'm sure id drop down into the single digits for sure with that thing on the back.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Welp, after having my trailer for awhile now (even though the only miles I've put on it go something like this ... bring it home from Idaho, 2 weeks later haul it to the local trailer shop to have a bunch of **** fixed on it that should have come working from the builder, take it up the mountain for one trip, bring it home) .... here is my review.

1.) I will never buy another product from Double R again.

2.) The $4500 Cummins/Onan generator they sold me ... they conveniently forgot to tell me, at any time, during the build process that this genset REQUIRED a converter charger to stay running. I had stated numerous times I wanted this to be a self-contained unit, that when it was in the parking lot it ran off generator power ON ITS OWN, when it was in my driveway it got plugged into the wall. Needless to say, neither worked upon delivery. The C/O genset would run for about 15 minutes before shutting off because there was no converter charger installed. This royally pisses me off, because when you consider I paid nearly $6,000 for the genset and transfer switch, they for damned sure could have mentioned "Oh yeah you need to also buy this $300 part and have us wire it in to actually make the genset work" .... seriously, WTF was I gonna do, pay them $6,000 for all the electrical hardware then balk at $300 FOR THE **** TO ACTUALY WORK?????

I had called and talked to them about this, and I was nice enough about it, I wasn't very happy they couldn't have bothered to let me know I needed this, but I was just like "Ok fine I'll install it myself".

3.) So, as a result of #2, I take it to the local trailer shop who has been doing RV's for some 25 years and does some of the best work I've ever seen before to have the converter charger PROFESSIONALLY installed, not a hack job by yours truly. The shop owner pulled the trailer into the shop, and decided to check everything out electrically before he tore into it .... the second he plugged it into the wall outlet, the breaker on the 50-amp transfer switch tripped, then blew the breaker in his shop. After several tries, same deal. Plugged another RV right next to it in, guess what, it doesn't blow the breaker in his shop. So he and his tech verify all the wiring, it is in fact wired up correctly, and its pretty obvious the transfer switch is faulty. So I call up Double R, and they at least got ahold of Intellex, after basically telling me the guy who I had look at this was wrong and being pretty stubborn about it. I told him I was having the local shop keep a separate ticket an he was going to get the bill for the labor to remove the old transfer switch and install the new one, which he balked at....I guess he talked to Intellex, and he told me that *THEY* would cover the labor to replace it, since it was their faulty product. Needless to say, when the intellex rep showed up, they told the local guy that they weren't liable for labor. So now I'm on the hook for it. The local guy apparently talked to the Intellex regional sales guy or something and 'they're working on it', so we'll see, but either way, as it stands right now I'm on the bill for the labor to fix it ..... and that labor charge will only increase, see item #5

4.) The 42k btu heater had the intake set right next to the exhaust. The return air was also not ducted to anywhere. The heater was not even mounted solid in the cabinet. I did not order a "ducted" heater from them but based on my understanding of what that meant, it meant they didn't duct the outlet of the heater into the walls of the trailer with various vents .... As I understood it, the return air, air intake, exhaust, would all be ducted appropriately and the heater outlet would just blow straight into the trailer. As a result of all this, I couldn't run the heater longer than about 15-20 minutes before it would shut itself off on high temperature. It had no air intake for which to get air through, it was basically blinded off right next to the exhaust on the outside of the trailer .... So, I had to have the local guy fix the heater as well. The intake is now ducted to the "helmet cabinet" ... lol .... and it blow a whole hell of a lot of hot air out now. This is how it should have come from them in the first place.

5.) The "fuel station". The "fuel station" also feeds the generator, but it has a fuel pump on the external side of the trailer. I tried to use this for the first time last weekend. It took us about 45 minutes to fill three sleds up with it. It has what appears to be a properly sized pump, but they ran a soft rubber hose to the suction of the pump then ran that into the TOP of the fuel tank, not the bottom, so a) the pump has very little suction head on it and b) the soft rubber hose kinks and flat out collapses, restricting the flow into it. In short, the thing barley pisses 1/10th of a gallon of gas out every minute due to the piss-poor suction setup on the pump, I'm going to have to drop the whole f-ing tank out to fix it most likely ... AND..... it didn't even come with a filter on it anywhere. I seriously dbout there is one in the tank, but I guess we'll know for sure when I drop it and see. I haven't even called them about this and after the run-around they gave me with the transfer switch, I'm not going to.

6.) The insulation on the side walls. Apparently they didn't bother glueing this, they just cut the sheet and set them in there ..... several slabs of it have already 'fallen down' so they are visible through the eTrax .... wow, a little glue was too much effort and $$$ to get the insulation to stick in place?

So in short, the construction of this trailer is really no better or worse than anyone else, and virtually every accessory they sold me hasn't worked right and I've had to have someone else come back and fix it. Keep in mind this trailer has ony been hauled home and hauled sleds *ONCE* so far .... so who knows what I'll find as the season goes on?

All in all, they sold me a $31,000 pretty looking turd. Definatley would not buy another trailer again from them at this point.

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
That sucks man! Pretty ****ty workmanship. I can't understand letting them off the hook though. Make them accountable and make it very painful for them if they make it difficult for you. BBB, Attorney general, etc.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
That sucks man! Pretty ****ty workmanship. I can't understand letting them off the hook though. Make them accountable and make it very painful for them if they make it difficult for you. BBB, Attorney general, etc.

The warranty on the receipt I signed was structural only. I won't get anywhere with it. I figure a post on here is as good as a complaint to the BBB.

I was MORE than patient with them about this stuff, but that insulation settling down today really showed me how much time and effort they took building this. I don't give a damn if it was already a week behind schedule, they could have taken another month for all I cared if it would have meant all this **** would have been right. Especially considering I paid them up front for this entire thing, they have ZERO excuses.

I have been very disappointed with this to say the least.

I guess the moral is, if you're buying a basic trailer from them then they're at least on par with everyone else, but I sure as hell wouldn't buy anything more than that from them after dealing with this mess.

Dartos

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2001
Craig, CO
Thanks for the update. I had just spec'ed out a 23 foot trailer from them that is $11,000. After seeing your problems makes me rethink this and go to something that has local dealer support.

If it were me I would hammer on them long, hard and often to fix your trailer or get some money back.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Thanks for the update. I had just spec'ed out a 23 foot trailer from them that is $11,000. After seeing your problems makes me rethink this and go to something that has local dealer support.

If it were me I would hammer on them long, hard and often to fix your trailer or get some money back.

I'm taking the heat gun to the Double R decals on the trailer this weekend and removing them, I'll put it that way.

M
Dec 12, 2011
I saw that exact same thing just a couple of weeks ago at a group snowmobile event in Fernie B.C. lol, the guy was promoting / campaigning the trailer manufacturer (mirage) that he was pee'ed off at.
Just add "is a piece of crap" to it instead.

Last edited:

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
So if I were to put this trailer up for sale, slightly used (read it got a few dings this season but nothing major) for quite a bit less than I paid for it, would anyone be interested? Say .... $25,000?

Strong possibility I might get fired, need to be prepared. Title in hand, ready to sell. :)

All things that were wrong with it from the mfg have been fixed. It has a couple dings in the workbench and one scratch on the outside of it now after a season and me using it to move with, but nothing major. $25k is $7k less than I paid for it.

PM me if interested.

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I've found that 99% of trailers that are affordable by the every day guy have the same quality as though they were built by blind school children.

Premium Features