• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Alternative Furnace Option - Diesel Parking Heater

S
Oct 26, 2021
1Abcdefg
Not sure how big of a battery that you are looking to house, but these are plentiful on ebay as brand new take-outs for RV's (Indiana seller) and Ambulances (Ohio seller).

I just bought one for the church bus this last week, and was amazed to find them so available!

They take a "65" series battery I think, which is a pretty large battery.
It will go to 1000 CCA in that series.
I’ll give eBay and Amazon a look. I’ll admit im a little concerned about that much weight hanging from aluminum studs. Battery is pretty heavy!!

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
www.midwestproductionmachining.com
Yeah, I would agree with that.

A cpl big jarrs and it's on top of your sled...

I don't know that I would want a big batt mounted yonder.

The nose of the trailer likely would never see nearly as harsh of jars as right over the axles.

S
Oct 26, 2021
1Abcdefg
Yeah, I would agree with that.

A cpl big jarrs and it's on top of your sled...

I don't know that I would want a big batt mounted yonder.

The nose of the trailer likely would never see nearly as harsh of jars as right over the axles.
I think I am going to elevate my toolbox and house the battery under it. I will finish it off so nobody even knows its there.

turbolover

Enduring the heat till Braap Season
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Rigby, Idaho
So - are these things just basically a baby salamander, or "Torpedo" heater, but with an exhaust pipe and heat exchangers?

Those types will run on Diesel, and we used to in a semi open barn, but if indoors, we always had to pony up for Kerosene.
I heated my machine shop for 2 or 3 years off of one of those.
No they are not like a salamander. They are an air to air exchanger style heater.
The combustion gases never mix with the heated air. There is a combustion chamber that gets hot and air flowing over it gets heated. That air is used to provide heat while the fresh air and exhaust are meant to be sealed outside.
These are used in camper vans alot with people sleeping inside all the time.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
www.midwestproductionmachining.com
Did you read the second half of the first line of my post?

Meaning, doo these run a big fan blowing air and fuel past a spark plug, which in turn ignites the A/F mixture - like a torpedo?
Or is the combustion a whole different idea?

Last edited:

kasey200

Premium Member
Feb 15, 2010
I installed one of these in a cabinet of our trailer. I started it for a test run last night and let it run for about 30 minutes and it melted the PVC pipe i had it ducted into. What have you guys done to combat this? I am thinking about using exhaust piping or something metal.
1637763631255.png

1637763551944.png

dw8

Lifetime Membership
Jul 19, 2012
It came with the trailer. But you can get them at an automotive store or marine store. I’m going to get a larger one this season. I also bought a transformer so that I can plug the trailer to shore power and skip the battery. Battery will charge but I’ve got a relay to isolate it

bgraff1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 29, 2007
Lloydminster, Alberta
I installed one of these in a cabinet of our trailer. I started it for a test run last night and let it run for about 30 minutes and it melted the PVC pipe i had it ducted into. What have you guys done to combat this? I am thinking about using exhaust piping or something metal.
View attachment 379821

View attachment 379820
use ABS vs PVC as it has a higher temp rating.

Premium Features