• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

The 2011 Gathering of Overly Competitive People Summer Ride

fourthmeal

Administrator
Sep 11, 2008
Idaho
www.snowest.com
McClure

DSC_7371.jpg

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
Part II

Mo McClure is good with the throttle, not so much on the brakes. His truck is blazing down the track at a good 25 mph, and we're all kind of standing there, assuming he's going to maybe stop or turn or something. But that would be predictable. And he likes to keep people on their toes. So he barrels through and tags Jenkins in the leg.
Now, we understand that it was a 25-pound truck, but Jenkins really milks it for sympathy. Nobody really cares because A) It's Sanchez, and B) He showed up in these Fishers of Men sandals straight out of 3 B.C. Hardly proper foot attire for bashing R/C trucks with people who drive like McClure.

This is all on video. I'll post that eventually...

This has to be seen!!!

Sxrlar

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Wisconsin
Keep the pics coming Mr. Harris. :face-icon-small-hap

So what is the deal with Mr. Cowett working with Mr. Burandt, and not Mr. Skinner?

hypnotoad

Lifetime Membership
Mar 21, 2009
These are some amazing pictures you took, wondering what type of camera and lens you are using for these?

fourthmeal

Administrator
Sep 11, 2008
Idaho
www.snowest.com
Ryan,

Awesome pics and a great thread to keep em happy!!

Who organized this ride and got em all together??

Phatty and Jenkins... Gotta get some pics of Mr. Harris up here.

It started out with Burandt and Rasmussen wanting to get a late season ride in with Boondocker. It was going to be in Colorado to begin with, but Afton worked out better for the majority of who wound up coming.

Burandt likes to drive anyway.

=========================================================================
MODERATOR NOTE (Mountainhorse):

Any chance of getting this thread copied over to BCR (the other site)? I can no longer see any posts.

This thread and lots of other threads with pics, technical info, repairs, etc are great reasons to drop a little $ to become a full member.

I like to watch my money as much as the next guy, but for the price of 3 gallons of gas, you get a lot in return, IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
What does one of these set you back with all the extras needed to be usefull??

What do you use to haul it all around in the backcountry?

Hows the learning curve?

How much do you use the auto mode or do you do a lot of tweaking?

How is the Video mode for quality?

Do you find that the VR lens' really eliminate the need for a tripod?

d700-01.jpg

d700-02.jpg

d700-top-big.jpg

D3S_9057-600.jpg

Nikon_AF_S_24_70mm_f_2.jpg

Last edited:

fourthmeal

Administrator
Sep 11, 2008
Idaho
www.snowest.com
What does one of these set you back with all the extras needed to be usefull??

What do you use to haul it all around in the backcountry?

Hows the learning curve?

How much do you use the auto mode or do you do a lot of tweaking?

How is the Video mode for quality?

Do you find that the VR lens' really eliminate the need for a tripod?

1. It's about a $2,700 body with a vertical grip add-on ($150) that turns it into a poor-man's version of the D3. The 24-70 lens is $1,700 and the 70-300 is about $600. That's the package I shoot with, so I'm about $5k into it. That's cheap compared to a full-on pro DSLR, which is around $7,000 just for the camera body. But I will say you get what you pay for. There is a big difference between the Sub-$1,000 DSLR kits and this setup, and even this compared to the D3.

2. I carry it in a Lowepro all-weather backpack. Sometimes I just use a Clik chest harness when I'm only taking the camera and one lens.

3. The learning curve is steep I guess. My wife has gone through the self-teaching process with it for portraits. I went through classes in college, plus had a lot of hands-on guidance from a pro photographer. You have to manually adjust for every parameter, so it's a long learning process.

4. I shoot in full manual. Auto never produces the right exposure. Every shot gets tweaked a little in photoshop.

5. The D700 doesn't record video. It just has outputs so you can view images on a TV. However, DLSR video is on par with feature film equipment. But it's an entirely different process and learning curve, and very time consuming. That's why any photographer is either into stills or video, rarely both.

6. I don't use VR. The 24-70 doesn't have it, and the 70-300 is too big of a zoom to be shooting anywhere that you'd need the VR on. Plus, any action shot will have to be at least shot at a 1/125 second shutter speed (usually closer to 1/1000), and you can hold the camera steady enough at that speed that it wouldn't make a difference.

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
The Image end is not the problem (composition, framing, exposure)...nor is knowing my way around a camera... but that looks to be a serious piece of hardware with a lot of menu driven setups... how was that end of it?

Sounds like something that a few workshops could handle???

Last edited:

hypnotoad

Lifetime Membership
Mar 21, 2009
Nikon D700 camera
Nikon 24-70mm lens
Nikon 70-300mm lens

Out of curiosity, how often do you actually use the full zoom of the 70-300 lens? Do you shot everything free hand or do you carry a tri-pod out with you? I'm hoping to start taking some decent pics next year but there isn't a whole lot of info out there about winter action sport photography, so any tips or links would be great.

Premium Features