• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

The 2011 Gathering of Overly Competitive People Summer Ride

fourthmeal

Administrator
Sep 11, 2008
Idaho
www.snowest.com
So I left one rider out. Oops. To be fair, he only rode bikes with us, and I only rode for a couple hours with that group.

Brandon Titensor

I'm not sure what Brandon's nickname is. Although I'm sure he had enough of them by the 8th grade to last a lifetime...
He can ride a bike like mad. He was throwing that RMZ around like it was a pit bike, sometimes picking it up in the air and tossing it a dozen yards down the hillside.

DSC_8236FIX.jpg

DSC_8517FIX.jpg

Last edited:

fourthmeal

Administrator
Sep 11, 2008
Idaho
www.snowest.com
DSC_7227.jpg

Ok, so it's been almost two weeks since we rode. I'm a little behind in the report here. But it's been a long two weeks. And it's time to get back on top of it.

Like I mentioned earlier, we rode in the mountains just east of Afton, WY. For some of us, that meant a drive from Idaho through Alpine, WY, and down through Star Valley.

Star Valley is an absolutely beautiful valley, one of the best locations in the mountain west if you ask me. It's stacked with mountains on both sides, lined with the Salt River that flows south to north up the valley. The trails and public lands make it an outdoor motorsport enthusiast's dream destination. Unless you are one of those anal-retentive fun-killer types who hates anyone who does so much as grin over breakfast. In that case, Star Valley is a septic hell hole littered from Afton to Alpine with homeless people, animals with criminal records and republicans (that last part's probably true). Stay away. Go annoy someone in Rock Springs.

fourthmeal

Administrator
Sep 11, 2008
Idaho
www.snowest.com
DSC_7250.jpg

You know that the day's going to be fun when the morning starts like this:

We stopped at the Alpine Market on the way through town to grab breakfast, a sandwich for lunch, waters, styrofoam cooler and bug spray. Typical weekday morning stuff.
At the fuel checkstand, this sweet gray-haired woman is working the til. As I'm standing there while she's ringing stuff up, a cell phone behind the counter rings. I can tell by the way she ignores it that it's not hers. It rings one normal ring, and then the ringtone changes to a familiar song: Rodney Carrington's Don't Look Now, Mama's Got Her Boobs Out. The old lady tried not to let it disturb her as she continued to bag our items. But the song kept playing, quite loudly, and we weren't exactly pretending that we didn't hear it. Finally, during the chorus line, she looks up at us, pretty well embarrassed, grins a little and shakes her head. But she just kept on bagging and let the phone ring until voice mail picked up.

Maybe she just wanted to start singing along...

Last edited:

fourthmeal

Administrator
Sep 11, 2008
Idaho
www.snowest.com
We arrive 13.2 miles up Smiths Fork road around 11am to a parking lot of diesel pickups loaded with sleds. Up the road a hundred yards is Rasmussen's F450 buried to the frame rails in a 40-foot-long snow bank. Keith pulled him out a couple times. But Bret would just hit it again until it was so stuck wouldn't even budge with a good jerk.

Not one sled had been unloaded yet and already everyone's wondering why the hell Rasmussen was allowed to lead.

DSC_7241.jpg

DSC_7244.jpg

Last edited:

fourthmeal

Administrator
Sep 11, 2008
Idaho
www.snowest.com
With all six tires freely spinning on the high-centered 10,000-lb truck, Rasmussen shuts it off, gets out and unloads--leaving the truck as is to deal with later.

At the time, Rob Kincaid was totally not planning on spending three hours digging the thing out by himself in shorts and camo Crocs as an evening activity.

One trend that seems to be catching on is the flatbed craze. They're cheaper than decks, sit lower and can take a farm-ton of abuse. Dan Adams, Keith Curtis, Mo McClure, Utah, Kincaid, Rasmussen and Boondocker are all rocking flatbeds. All that was missing was a dead cow lift and some spools of barbed wire.

DSC_7225.jpg

Last edited:

fourthmeal

Administrator
Sep 11, 2008
Idaho
www.snowest.com
Rasmussen draws a crowd even when he's sitting in a stuck pickup. (Last year he dragged his 38-ft trailer this far in).

DSC_7248.jpg

(For some reason I have the lyrics to Ringling 5's Rancher's Legs stuck in my head...)

Last edited:

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Last edited:

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
I had to put spacers on my dually flatbed to get the bigger tires to not rub, the nice thing about the spacers are that you can spin off the lug nuts on the outside, let the outer tire fall off and the spacer holds the inner one on. Then you can get around a lot better and still run chains if needed. Looks pretty gey with only the inner tires on under a 8ft bed though.

J

Jenkins

Dec 11, 2008
Eastern Idaho
Ryan left out one event that had happened between leaving Alpine and headed to Afton. He must have been to distracted, thinking about that lady with the silver hair? We should start shopping at Rob Hoffs health food store. Anyways,,, we decided to stop at the local motocross track just south of Alpine to rally our remote controlled trucks. Yes i said REMOTE CONTROLLED trucks! these things turn you into a kid again, Ryan and i got the same trucks mainly because he did all the research and found the best ones after trial and air. With a few laps of battle with Mo McClure and Ryan we decided to start jumping, first attempt me being me i was headed backwards and ryan was headed the right way, resulting in a head on collision. My speed probably 37MPH Ryan's speed 7mph, i pretty much rocked his truck resulting in his fun factor back to zero.

dustin pancheri

Lifetime Membership
Oct 20, 2008
Ryan left out one event that had happened between leaving Alpine and headed to Afton. He must have been to distracted, thinking about that lady with the silver hair? We should start shopping at Rob Hoffs health food store. Anyways,,, we decided to stop at the local motocross track just south of Alpine to rally our remote controlled trucks. Yes i said REMOTE CONTROLLED trucks! these things turn you into a kid again, Ryan and i got the same trucks mainly because he did all the research and found the best ones after trial and air. With a few laps of battle with Mo McClure and Ryan we decided to start jumping, first attempt me being me i was headed backwards and ryan was headed the right way, resulting in a head on collision. My speed probably 37MPH Ryan's speed 7mph, i pretty much rocked his truck resulting in his fun factor back to zero.

And then there was that steering post! Your new nick name: No steer Sanchez!

You got any pics of Harris...Lets post em....Bio time!

fourthmeal

Administrator
Sep 11, 2008
Idaho
www.snowest.com

Part II

Mo McClure is good with the throttle, not so much on the brakes. His truck is blazing down the track at a good 25 mph, and we're all kind of standing there, assuming he's going to maybe stop or turn or something. But that would be predictable. And he likes to keep people on their toes. So he barrels through and tags Jenkins in the leg.
Now, we understand that it was a 25-pound truck, but Jenkins really milks it for sympathy. Nobody really cares because A) It's Sanchez, and B) He showed up in these Fishers of Men sandals straight out of 3 B.C. Hardly proper foot attire for bashing R/C trucks with people who drive like McClure.

This is all on video. I'll post that eventually...

J

Jenkins

Dec 11, 2008
Eastern Idaho
And then there was that steering post! Your new nick name: No steer Sanchez!

You got any pics of Harris...Lets post em....Bio time!

Yes, There was that steering post! What a helpless feeling. Tried to forget about that one..

PICS... Mr. Harris??? good luck he has all the shots.

Premium Features