• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Spring Ski reviews

E
Dec 19, 2007
I've been long avoiding posting this review for selfish reasons. My reasoning is that I don't want people buying up all the old used ts backcountry skis.I have plenty of spares now and simmons is still selling new ones so here it goes.

If you are really not against buying the best of the best for your bike and you don't put your tires back on at the end of February then this should get your attention.
I've owned every ski now except for the quiver and I'm going to be bold and rank the old back country ski as #1 80%of the time between October and July. The reason is simple it's only bad trait is washing out in really fluffy deep snow. But I can adapt to that trait and completely avoid it like riding a bike in the sand, it's just a technique.

#2 is a 3 way tie between the yeti, cmx and traverse. the yeti being much worse if there is any kind of inverted crust (soft snow under a harder layer) but the yeti is much better on corn because it acts like power steering and saves your arms from getting tired. The other two just takes strong arms to turn in harder snow. It really does kill the fun factor this time of year unless you ride fast in a straight line it's a constant fight with the bars. Maybe I'm just weak but I can ride the backcountry with one hand in the spring.

Last place would be the camso for mediocre everything but horrible on road and best in the early fluff that's only 6 inches deep - No keel to catch on the logs.

It makes no sense to me why more people don't swap skis for the conditions. They lay down thousands on wraps bars thermos intakes etc but run whatever ski there kit came with.

I have a buddy that skis over 100 days a season and he has dozens of different skis (no joke).

My season is just getting started but many have already put their bikes away. Many on here will also never have the chance to try an old ski to compare but if you do don't turn it down. If it's spring time you will love it.

My perfect setup is two bikes: a light 2 stroke 120 with a back country ski and a 450 long track for pow with a yeti/cmx or traverse ski and a spare backcountry ski to put on the 450 in the spring if my 2 stroke is down for repairs.

Let the flames begin and send me all the back country skis you don't want, I'll happily pay shipping!

And if the factories are reading this, I want a back county ski with a more modern mounting saddle and bumper. Don't change a thing on the bottom. Also offer a brand new kit with 2 skis for different conditions and make it the premium model so the guys spending the big dough don't have to run a crappy ski half the time. Possibly a quick disconnect mount if its not to heavy.

They have this new invention called snotel so we can know the conditions before we leave the garage and can swap skis accordingly.

Last edited:

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
I don't think you need to loose sleep over the rest of the sno bikers buying up the old TS/Simons ski, that ski has a lot more inferior handling qualities besides washing in deep fluff. Granted that ski came stock with a real poorly set up TS spindle plus sketchy Simons ski and mostly new to the sport riders. To buy most skis sitting around they come with the old no bearing bad cross shaft TS shelled out kits, so make room for them also. Glad to know some are still out riding the corn.

N
Jan 3, 2008
Northern Utah
Ive got some "wings" you should try on the backcountry ski to see if it washes out less. If you ever go thru the cache valley area you should hit me up and ill give you a set. I ran them on simmons snowmobile skis and loved them but havent tried it on the backcountry ski. You ride more than I do so it would be a good test.

Hawkster

Lifetime Membership
Apr 22, 2010
AK
Offering two skis for a kit , I like it :), it's not like things are gonna get any cheaper .

I was playing around with a pair of thumpers the other day in conditions that would cripple a sledder with one bad move. They are a TS set up and a Yeti on basically identical bikes. There's obviously differences but when it comes to the skis ones more universal and the other has it's moments in conditions but honestly if anyone is claiming horror stories than it's not the kits fault, for me it didn't matter.

N
Aug 24, 2010
Ive got some "wings" you should try on the backcountry ski to see if it washes out less. If you ever go thru the cache valley area you should hit me up and ill give you a set. I ran them on simmons snowmobile skis and loved them but havent tried it on the backcountry ski. You ride more than I do so it would be a good test.
I live in cache valley and have a snow bike. Wold you sell me a set to try?

E
Dec 19, 2007
And post some pics if you have time. I would like to try them or build some. If they help it work a tad better in super fluff my cmx pow ski will be for sale real quick

Premium Features