• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

WTF IS WITH THE TRAILS AT BACHELOR??

n2otoofast4u

Lifetime Membership
Oct 3, 2010
The trail out of Kapa is awful! Road the hwy edge to duchman, only to get my brains beat out on the trail out the back. Only rode probably 8 miles of trail all day but my lord were they ****ty! Didn't snowbusters get a new groomer this year? Someone has to have some knowledge of what is going on!

RXB-1

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eastern Oregon
Keep in mind that all grooming is done by volunteers with a very large trail system to keep up on, this is even harder at the beginning of the season when we are under pressure to get all the trails hit once to establish a good base, add in all the trees that have blown down to cut out and its a lot of work.
I don't groom on the Deschutes but I know I sure respond to a request for more work on a certain trail much better than I would a bitchy tones post on SW, this is not meant to dog on you. I am just saying most people who like the super highway to the good stuff don't have a good appreciation for where it comes from. :face-icon-small-hap

24drnkz

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Bend, OR
Good chance they're laying low from their terrible decisions this summer! Plenty of new snow, why rUse the trail anyways?

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
I always think there has to be a better spot up there somewhere than Bach. I guess we are just spoiled down here. You can go to places and never see another track all day and all the best riding isn't out of bounds. Crappy trails here keep the masses away, up there it seems to attract them:)

W
Dec 25, 2007
I run groomer for Sisters, Both Sisters and Snowbusters cats are based in the same shed. They have both been out every night. The snow is still very soft and not holding up well, Trail 5 (Wanoga to Dutchman) gets hundreds of sled a day during the holidays. Hi powered big tracked sleds destroy it. I groomed last night and spent most of my time on trail 5 cutting to woops out. I know today because it has had no time to set up that they will be back. All of the high country trails to the Moon Mt area were in really good shape last night. The groomer will be back out tonight and every night though the weekend. I will personally be grooming again Saturday night so if your out and see the big yellow Sisters cat say hi. We are trying hard to keep up.

Mountaintech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Bend OR
I run groomer for Sisters, Both Sisters and Snowbusters cats are based in the same shed. They have both been out every night. The snow is still very soft and not holding up well, Trail 5 (Wanoga to Dutchman) gets hundreds of sled a day during the holidays. Hi powered big tracked sleds destroy it. I groomed last night and spent most of my time on trail 5 cutting to woops out. I know today because it has had no time to set up that they will be back. All of the high country trails to the Moon Mt area were in really good shape last night. The groomer will be back out tonight and every night though the weekend. I will personally be grooming again Saturday night so if your out and see the big yellow Sisters cat say hi. We are trying hard to keep up.

Have the clubs ever tried using a drag? Light, dry snow is always a challenge, but a good drag does an amazing job of cutting, smoothing, and compacting. The impact of a sled on the trail is directly related to how it is operated.

W
Dec 25, 2007
Have the clubs ever tried using a drag? Light, dry snow is always a challenge, but a good drag does an amazing job of cutting, smoothing, and compacting. The impact of a sled on the trail is directly related to how it is operated.

Sisters cat has a very nice drag but the snow has to set up some for the drag to work good, Trail 5 is directly related to the amount of traffic (getting from a snow park to the riding areas) and yes the operation of the sleds. (speed and being on and off of the throttle) The trails are much better as you get to the areas were everyone starts breaking off and heading to there favorite places, the high country is in really good shape. I just talked to the sister grooming chairman and he and I decided that the drag will be good for trail 5 now. He is going to go and get it out and make several passes on trail 5 in the next couple of days. (Please remember this is all done by people who have jobs and own business, then go out in the night and groom trails)

FYI trail 5 to trail 6 and out to Three Creeks Snow Park will be groomed this evening. Most likely some of the high country around Moon Mt. Down Trail 7 to Dutchman and back to the Cat House on trail 5 late tonight.

K
Sep 9, 2013
Bend, Oregon
I don't know the trail numbers, but most all of them seemed to be groomed yesterday.. Its only my 3rd season on a snowmobile, and there was not much snow last year..and I don't think they can groom with no snow.

Seems groomed now...I about ran into a groomer yesterday at 4pm or so.

It did make the return trip when I was tired a lot easier!

Yeah sometimes those dang trails can be terrible. Seems like miles of 3 foot mougals somtimes. My dad lives in bend and i sometimes dont even wanna go over there and ride with him because i dont wanna ride the trails. But like already mentioned the cause is just so dang many people that ride there. It takes no time flat for a freshly groomed trail to get destroyed there...

H

hoov165x

Apr 12, 2009
Bend, OR
I'll tell you the real problem with the Bend area trails- and all other trails frequented by mountain sleds- deep lug tracks. Back when the deepest lugged track was 1", we could ride groomed trails for days without them getting torn up. Now, the groomer takes a pass, ten sleds ride through, and the trail is blown out with big moguls. It's the price we pay for the latest mountain sled tech. Its a real bummer, especially for the groomer operators, and I am sure frustrating for them as well......

Ahh.. The days of 1" tracks and 144 Woody's carbide picks........

Mountaintech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Bend OR
I'll tell you the real problem with the Bend area trails- and all other trails frequented by mountain sleds- deep lug tracks. Back when the deepest lugged track was 1", we could ride groomed trails for days without them getting torn up. Now, the groomer takes a pass, ten sleds ride through, and the trail is blown out with big moguls. It's the price we pay for the latest mountain sled tech. Its a real bummer, especially for the groomer operators, and I am sure frustrating for them as well......

Ahh.. The days of 1" tracks and 144 Woody's carbide picks........

Not necessarily. A short track sled with a 1" lug track can do more damage than a long track deep lug track if ridden the wrong way.

H

hoov165x

Apr 12, 2009
Bend, OR
Not necessarily. A short track sled with a 1" lug track can do more damage than a long track deep lug track if ridden the wrong way.

IF you ride both machines in a similar fashion, the deeper lug track will do way more damage. How do I know? I have both..........

It's really just simple physics here, and indisputable.

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
i allways thought newbs wreaked the trails.riding on and off the newly groomed trail every 20 feet.LOL

Mountaintech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Bend OR
IF you ride both machines in a similar fashion, the deeper lug track will do way more damage. How do I know? I have both..........

It's really just simple physics here, and indisputable.

I won't dispute that, but it really comes down to the rider. I have had both as well and if you know how to ride properly you can be very low impact on a long track mountain sled. Especially if its a 4 stroke and clutched properly.

Premium Features