• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Whining about weight

glassman

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2003
Hinton, Alberta
Actually , the weight is not an issue , that was the point of this thread, the people that keep saying the weight is an issue, hasn't rode them , I have, and all I ride is mountains , these sleds are amazing straight out of the box , and the only people I've heard say anything bad about them , has never rode one or likely even sat on one in a showroom , stop speculating about something you know nothing about

If weight isnt an issue, then how come there is so many threads about weight? Not just this machine in particular but all mountain machines in general. That is what I am talking about. Maybe weight isnt an issue to you, but apparently it is to alot of other people.

And Im happy guys dont feel its any heavier than their 5 year old sled that they loved riding, I just like the advances the manufacturers are making in weight savings right from the factory.

Last edited:

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
Like it or not, weight is an issue in the mountains. I guess it all depends on what type of riding you do that will make it more or less of an issue. You can say weight doesn't bother you, but there is no disputing the fact Yamaha is clearly trying to loose weight on their 4 stroke mtn sleds, obviously to help increase their marketshare(wheres the apex?). Therfore one could conclude the general masses might actually be looking for a lighter platform. I think this is an awesome machine, built for a particular niche in the mountain market. Not necesarilly my first choice, but I wont say no if I get the chance to ride one. I am glad many people are happy with their purchase, but I am sure there is also a few who are a little disapointed. . Thus, you have the whining, as the masses were expecting lighter.
IMO anyone who bought one should have known what they were getting, and undoubtidly will have a blast riding the first production, performance 4 stroke turbo mountain sled on the market.

Glassman:

I couldn't agree more..

When people ordered these sleds, did they somehow think that Cat had some sort of magic engineering program that would take 75 pounds off the frame?

Did they not know that a little company called Yamaha has been producing these sleds for over a decade? I am sure the Yamaha engineers have been working to reduce weight but still have a chassis that can stand up to the torque of these four strokes.

Cat made the decision to share the chassis between the 2s and 4s engines. THAT REQUIRES A CHASSIS THAT CAN STAND UP TO THE TORQUE AND WEIGHT OF A FOUR STROKE AS WELL AS A TWO STROKE ENGINE.

When Polaris comes with a four stroke turbo, they will be looking to combine the engine choices into one chassis as well. Doo, will probably do the same........

YOu can go light, Polaris certainly proves that, but those sleds are proving to have issues with strength at the tunnel/foot rest/bulk head areas...... hairline cracks.....

Imagine the stress on that chassis if one dropped a 180 HP four stroke into it (If you even could do it). It would fold up faster than a cheap tent in a windstorm..... You think there is mysterious cracks now, put a four stroke in it.

Fast forward 6 months when Cat will be finalizing what they will be doing for next year. I am betting that they will look at failures or lack of, and reducing the weight of these four stroke sleds. My guess is anywhere between 15-25 pounds......

Is my 1100T heavier than my proride buddies? Yep, you bet........

Anyway, people need to just go ride them for a few tankfuls. I think they will have a different perspective then.....

glassman

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2003
Hinton, Alberta
I am no way trying to bash any particular make or model. All I am saying is weight is an issue(TO ME, AND MANY OTHERS). I came off a turbo M8 so I know what light weight with power does for you. When the factory builds a Turbo2 stroke then the weight will be where I feel comfortable wrestling it around all day. Sure 2 strokes may not be a reliable as the four strokes but they are getting better, as are the 4 strokes.
Lets put it this way....

If you were given the option of buying a boosted factory 2 stroke or a boosted factory 4 stroke with the same warranty but one being 100 lbs lighter, which would you rather ride. Keep in mind the 2 sroke weighs less so it wont need to have as much power as the 4 stroke. And dont give me that I wanna save the enviroment crap so i wont ride a stinky 2 stroke. We're sledders for petes sakes, how many trees have you cut down so get unstuck?
Keep in mind the technology for two stroke turbo's is growing in leaps and bounds. Self adjusting ECU's with compensation for fueling issues and temp issues is just around the bend. It could happen.

Last edited:
Premium Features