• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

WHEN will yamaha come out with a new chassis...is there hope???????

P

pelon

Oct 29, 2008
Billings Montana
That will likely never happen... The nytro motor weighs like 70 lbs more than a 800 twin doens't it? If they came in around 500 wet(No gas) I would be impressed!

Ok you dudes need to get off the "No Gas Wet Thing." There is no such thing.

You diaper is wet or it is not!

And like I said: it's not hard to achieve those lower numbers -- not even with the apex motor. It doesn't take a freaking rocket scientist--or maybe that is yamaha s problem!

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
It is my belief that Yamaha knows they cannot really make any money on sleds so they keep the line to get you to buy a bike or quad from them. At best they cannot have a big R&D budget when the market is so small and competitive on price. Look how long previous models ran? Phaser anybody? Pogo stick suspension clear into what? Late 90's? But the engine tech and reliability was always there.

Had they really cared they could cut 100 pounds off a nytro change the front control arms and ship with a turbo and who would buy anything else? But how would they recoup their investment with the low number of that model they could sell?

I am with you though I would really like to see a lightweight Nytro with around 160hp naturally aspirated.

Mountaintech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Bend OR

And like I said: it's not hard to achieve those lower numbers -- not even with the apex motor. It doesn't take a freaking rocket scientist--or maybe that is yamaha s problem!

WNF (wet no fuel) is a very fair way of comparing sleds. The Nytro with its 7.5 gallon (WTF!) is a good example why.

P

pelon

Oct 29, 2008
Billings Montana
WNF (wet no fuel) is a very fair way of comparing sleds. The Nytro with its 7.5 gallon (WTF!) is a good example why.

A truely fair way--is to compare sleds that have very simular attributes such as:

1) Engine cc (physical weight and dimensions will always vary)
2) Fuel capacity
3) Cooling capacity
4) Oil capacity
5) Track length/width (this has alot of influence)

Shoot I could jump into fuel efficiency (hence the need for less fuel), power to weight, intercooled turbo or no intercooler, supercharged---and so on. So lets not and say we did!

So even saying wet weight is questionable I would say.

I added about 25lbs to my nytro this year:jaw:

Mountaintech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Bend OR
A truely fair way--is to compare sleds that have very simular attributes such as:

1) Engine cc (physical weight and dimensions will always vary)
2) Fuel capacity
3) Cooling capacity
4) Oil capacity
5) Track length/width (this has alot of influence)

Shoot I could jump into fuel efficiency (hence the need for less fuel), power to weight, intercooled turbo or no intercooler, supercharged---and so on. So lets not and say we did!

I agree with you and get your point. I was just trying to point out that including fuel weight encourages manufacturers to shrink fuel capacity in favor of lower numbers.

So even saying wet weight is questionable I would say.

I added about 25lbs to my nytro this year:jaw:

S

stingray719

Jan 22, 2008
Colorado Springs, CO
stingraymods.com
It is my belief that Yamaha knows they cannot really make any money on sleds so they keep the line to get you to buy a bike or quad from them. At best they cannot have a big R&D budget when the market is so small and competitive on price. Look how long previous models ran? Phaser anybody? Pogo stick suspension clear into what? Late 90's? But the engine tech and reliability was always there.

Had they really cared they could cut 100 pounds off a nytro change the front control arms and ship with a turbo and who would buy anything else? But how would they recoup their investment with the low number of that model they could sell?

I am with you though I would really like to see a lightweight Nytro with around 160hp naturally aspirated.

labster, I am not sure why you felt the need to give a "bad post" rating to my comment and I am confused. What in my comments so angered you?

labster

Premium Member
Jun 18, 2009
labster, I am not sure why you felt the need to give a "bad post" rating to my comment and I am confused. What in my comments so angered you?

sorry stingray719 didn't know I did. maybe hit the wrong key of something.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Yamaha doesn't need a "big R&D budget". All the R&D has been done. Just look at the sleds everybody built. 50-60lbs lighter, +3 front end, coupled skid, 240hp turbo kit, bigger gas tank, post relocate, 2.5" 162 CE track etc. Building it right the first time is so much cheaper than throwing away 50-60% of a new sled and replacing with the right parts. Now if they jumped ahead with some serious weight loss using carbon fiber, chromoly and maybe titanium they would be 3-5 years ahead. Again, all the technology is there they just have to put it together.

Nytroty

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Chaska, MN

Sorry i was trying to make up for the fact that a stock nytro holds 4 gallons less fuel than the sled you are comparing it too:crazy:

Obviously it is hard or they would have done it already. If if is so easy to make a nytro same weight as a PRO why don't you go into buisness doing it? Full carbon, titanium bolts in everything i bet you still wont get within 30-40 pounds of a STOCK Pro. That 4 stroke motor is just that heavy....

Mountaintech

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Bend OR
Sorry i was trying to make up for the fact that a stock nytro holds 4 gallons less fuel than the sled you are comparing it too:crazy:

X2. That's what you get when manufacturers compare sleds with full fuel load. They start shrinking the fuel tank! WNF (wet no fuel) is a fair comparison IMO. Heck, I often go riding with a fuel tank that's less than full, and know others that do the same.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
If you replace the OEM tank with a Trail Tank, that extra few gallons can really make a difference in total weight if your just going out to play and don't NEED the extra fuel!

off trail mike

Lifetime Membership
May 31, 2011
New Brunswick, Canada
My bet remains, Mid February 2013 we hear about the next generation Nytro, and see it in the first week of March.

Christopher:

I think you are on the right track......I'm thinking now or never, because that's what Yami is up against in the sled business (especially with 2015 emission changes coming).

And in typical Yami style, we will probably be simultaneously surprised and disappointed with the February/March announcement.

Haven't seen any new "Sleds" up here in the GWN, but many "pieces" have already been on the snow. Just have to know what (and who) to look for.

Is there is a new sled in Yami's garage? I'd say Yep. Has it been camoflaged under a the skin of a Vector, Nytro, and Apex......definitely.

If you were the designer, would you really care about what the body panels look like as long as you get the functional results you want? Probably not. Going to be a fun year for the rumor mill.:face-icon-small-sad:face-icon-small-hap

OTM

Calvin42

Premium Member
Oct 14, 2008
Cantonment, FL
Hoping and praying for new iron from Yami. Currently ride a 2012 Pro and love it. But I miss my boosted Nytro. If they could come out with something with a little more ponies and a little less weight, I'm in. That four stroke engine is addicting. I don't need it to set the high mark, I just need it to be fun to ride and boondock. Keeping my fingers crossed.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Hoping and praying for new iron from Yami. Currently ride a 2012 Pro and love it. But I miss my boosted Nytro. If they could come out with something with a little more ponies and a little less weight, I'm in. That four stroke engine is addicting. I don't need it to set the high mark, I just need it to be fun to ride and boondock. Keeping my fingers crossed.
They have the technology and the certainly have the manufacturing ability.
Only question is, so they have the DESIRE to go for it?

Calvin42

Premium Member
Oct 14, 2008
Cantonment, FL
You are on a pro huh. You must be the one I was highmarking with my fourstroke. Once I went fourstroke turbo cant go back to the middle ages.

LOL, that's entirely possible. I can remember the first day out after my MCX 240 kit. My arms hurt so bad from trying to hold on. Very addicting power. However, all the guys I ride with were on N/A two strokes and couldn't keep up anyways. Not to mention the POO dealer is the closest dealer for 200 miles. Thought it was appropriate to give him my business. However, if Yami comes out with something good, doesn't exactly even have to be a game changer, I'm in. I love the fourstroke sound, torque, reliability, etc, etc. Just a fun sled, even in stock form. Like I said, a few more ponies and a little less weight and I'm content. Will keep the pro, but am a big fan of blue.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Going to the SnowShow can be very helpful in gaining additional insight into whats coming...

More Rumors about the 2014..

Chaincase has replaced with beltdrive for weight savings!!

The 2014 sled will be well worth waiting for....

Premium Features