• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

turbo 2 stroke VS. Turbo 4 Stroke

M

Megaton

Dec 3, 2007
Megaton

Hey Ratchet you 2 stroke chicken choker. I would have loved to have run into you when you were "dialed in" cause Megaton at 18psi would crush you. That a side though. Megaton has gone up in a ball of flames and I was one of three Alpine front mount on fire in Revvy this weekend, and also let's not forget those headers at $1500 a piece. I love tryin to get those f%cking bolts tight. Ohh and what about the fact it melts your brand new light weight hood and then are told "that only happens when you stop moving" F%CK that. I say for $33,000.00 the sled better run and run hard and 600km is not acceptable. I also owned a RX1 waste of money I really wish that would have burnt. I agree with Ratchet 4 stroke for jumping, going through tight trees up or down a 2 stroke is tuff to beat, but I really did love the sound of that turbo spooling up. I will not purchase another one until they get the fire issue worked out. Don't forget Ratchet your day will come!!!

R.I.P Megaton

W

WKR

Nov 27, 2007
western canada
holy crap!!!! batman

hey guys and gals, and MEGATON (recently deceased),
It seems there are a lot of yamaha riders out there that wear their heart on their sleave, I started this thread to jaw at my buddy megaton. Looks like to many of you guys take things way to personall. At any rate the bigger question has been answer for myself and megaton. His sled burnt to the ground on the weekend, and is currenlty looking for a 2 stroke turbo. At the end of the day, you could put a turbo on an effin' riding lawn mower and it would likly make you smile all day long. I would be more than happy riding anything turboed, just so happens its a m7, so till the day comes I have a yammy, all hale the 2 stroke turbo LOL!!!

R
Nov 27, 2007
South Fork, CO
I am 100% sure 2 stroke will pave the road for turbo sledding, ride with a guy with the M1000 on boost and at 18lbs boost turned 408hp, weighs 475lbs. Who in there right mind could claim that they could ever touch that with an apex. I don't think there is such thing as an apex under 500lbs (could be wrong though). Have never seen an outstanding rider on an apex turbo yet!!! other than on the videos. When I say outstanding, I don't mean just a guy who climbs really fast to the top. hopefully a dude by the handle megaton will see this thread and get in on it. he has a ton of money into his apex, light weighted 80lbs, big boost and he is beginning to regret not doing what the rest of us did, 2 stroke turbo. food for thought.

2 Strokes will pave the road for turbo sledding? maybe being towed by an apex because if you compare the number of Turbo 2 Strokes, then compare the number of turbo 4 strokes, its like comparing the population of the United States to the population of Antarctica. Then if you compare the number of Turbo 2 strokes that are ridden for 5000 miles Turnkey to the number of 4 stroke turnkey 5000 mile sleds, the difference is even more ridiculous.

Maybe you havent ridden with an outstanding rider on an apex because you ride exclusively in one place. Go watch the boost movies. PM Mike Irmen im sure he will tell you a little bit about "good riding."

Turbo 2 strokes will never pave the way for Turbo sledding. I havent personally even seen a 2 stroke turbo run and i live around people who have the money to do what they want with their sled, but they wont turbo it. I am one of about 5 turbo Yamahas in my riding area as well.

W

WKR

Nov 27, 2007
western canada
youve missed the point and I do ride in one place the western canada, best mountain range to ride in the world (says snowest, snow talk, and mod stock). As well our major snow show this year was almost 100% turbo 2 strokes, noone showcased a 4 stroke, except randy swenson. The hole point was to get my buddy riled up, seems I got every one riled up, so to those who can't take some ribbin' jump to the next post. As far as riding abilitly goes, I could say that I am the best in the world and you will never know the difference because I will never ride Colorado. The boosted films are great, but Brent, the fellow who makes them asked a few of us to ride on film for him, so he can start show casing the 2 stroke turbo's, as not enough people want to watch a yamaha go straight up a hill. Anyway this thread is dead, Meagton burnt to the ground so there is no reason to continue jawing him.

Ken Climb

Premium Member
This is my 5th year of riding a boosted yami 4 stroke. 10,000 mountain miles and i've never been towed out. Never even blown a belt, can you beleive it? (I've towed many myself though lol). This year I decided to go the lighter route and boost up a nytro. With a few mods I should have this puppy just under 500lbs. I'll go with the mcx kit again as I always do, they have a bit more lag then the front mounts but usually make more power up on the top end cause of the pre-cooled charged air under the tunnel. The last 4 years at the big iron shootout, i've always have been within the top five in the shootout section. This should prove that lag isn't as big a deal thats claimed to be with the rear mounts.
I was just down at Reid Hedlund shop the other day (Canadian distributor for Boondockers) He says he's been sending out one or two 2 stroke turbos a day, so this just might be the year we have some real competition from our two stroke boys.
I can't see ever going back down the 2 stroke route, but if these new turbo systems work out you never know!

S

snwman77

Banned
Nov 27, 2007
Firestone Co.
I read this whole thread and I didnt make up my mind.
I have two polaris proX race sleds. one being a mod 800 and the other has a 2000 700 twin in it. Should i turbo one of the Prox race sleds or sell both and buy a turbo RX1. I think i can sell both polaris sleds and buy one RX1 that has a turbo on it or sell one proX and find a used turbo kit for a twin polaris. End result im looking for a sled that will climb most anything for the least amount of money out of pocket.

B
Nov 26, 2007
Elkhorn Nebraska
I have two polaris proX race sleds. one being a mod 800 and the other has a 2000 700 twin in it. Should i turbo one of the Prox race sleds or sell both and buy a turbo RX1. I think i can sell both polaris sleds and buy one RX1 that has a turbo on it or sell one proX and find a used turbo kit for a twin polaris. End result im looking for a sled that will climb most anything for the least amount of money out of pocket.

Try to get an '06 Apex and put the gt28 BD kit on it with the Pure Logic box!!! Great set-up and around 5K for the turbo kit and about 6500 for the apex!!! 270-280hp should get you most places!!! M7 are a great sled to turbo too for the money and they are way lighter!!!

N

NM

Jan 3, 2003
Ponoka AB.
This is my 5th year of riding a boosted yami 4 stroke. 10,000 mountain miles and i've never been towed out. Never even blown a belt, can you beleive it? (I've towed many myself though lol). This year I decided to go the lighter route and boost up a nytro. With a few mods I should have this puppy just under 500lbs. I'll go with the mcx kit again as I always do, they have a bit more lag then the front mounts but usually make more power up on the top end cause of the pre-cooled charged air under the tunnel. The last 4 years at the big iron shootout, i've always have been within the top five in the shootout section. This should prove that lag isn't as big a deal thats claimed to be with the rear mounts.
I was just down at Reid Hedlund shop the other day (Canadian distributor for Boondockers) He says he's been sending out one or two 2 stroke turbos a day, so this just might be the year we have some real competition from our two stroke boys.
I can't see ever going back down the 2 stroke route, but if these new turbo systems work out you never know!

I think it might be a good year to own a Helicopter!! LOL It will be interesting to see all of these 2 stroker Turbo sleds turning up the boost to run with a four stroke. If I recall Climbmax was racing a M1000 Turbo 2 weeks ago and smoking his but with a Nytro. Do you know who that was ratchet?

B
Nov 26, 2007
Elkhorn Nebraska

For money def. go with the 2smoke turbo if you want good power and light weight. Go with M7, M8, or M1000!!! Turbo 5k and sled anywhere from 5-10k depending upon year and model!!!

S

snwman77

Banned
Nov 27, 2007
Firestone Co.
Try to get an '06 Apex and put the gt28 BD kit on it with the Pure Logic box!!! Great set-up and around 5K for the turbo kit and about 6500 for the apex!!! 270-280hp should get you most places!!! M7 are a great sled to turbo too for the money and they are way lighter!!!
I dont have $11,500 though around.
I have a snopro mod for bashing though the trees and over the bumps and jumps.
Im looking to point and pin. So im starting to think the the RX1 is in my budget and will get the job done. maybe some one will tell me to turbo one of the polaris and i will chane my mind back.

B
Nov 26, 2007
Elkhorn Nebraska
I dont have $11,500 though around.
I have a snopro mod for bashing though the trees and over the bumps and jumps.
Im looking to point and pin. So im starting to think the the RX1 is in my budget and will get the job done. maybe some one will tell me to turbo one of the polaris and i will chane my mind back.

There is a RX-1 turbo for sale in the forums swap meet!!! $6900!!! Bender stage1 rear mount!!! Good sled! hell any sled with boost rocks!!!!!

S

snwman77

Banned
Nov 27, 2007
Firestone Co.
Thats what im looking for. whats wrong with that kit or should i say whats not right. Is there some updates to make the kit more usable.

Premium Features