• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

toluene or torco

the sled shop

Lifetime Membership
Jan 27, 2008
lisbon NH
just curious about that toluene stuff sounds good what ive researched,but stuff made for paint-just seems weird and where do you get it-not at home depot or lowes.the torco stuff seems good to-not sure what to do,just know that i cant run this ethanol fuel from the pumps in these big bore 2 strokes-way to much detno even with porting and head mods and really dont want to sacrifice any performance by retarding timing and jetting pig rich-thanks all

Last edited:

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
most just buy it from a paint store, usually pretty easy to find. It's costing MUCH more than it used to though. Around here it's actually more than 116 (tolulene is 114 btw), but just easier to find, which I see as being the main advantage for people around here. To drive the truck to denver & buy some 116 is about $50 worth of time & fuel... gotta buy a lot of 116 to make it worth it.

Dollar wise, toluene will be much cheaper than using torco, but again, more of a hassle to deal with. For me, av gas is a the cheapest way to get where I want to be, but I had to buy a ton more fuel storage to make it worth the trips, at $4.70/gal... it's much cheaper though.

Last edited:

the sled shop

Lifetime Membership
Jan 27, 2008
lisbon NH
toluene

does a qaurt to 10 gallons of 93 sound about right to get around 100 octane.wasnt sure of the math for mixing it in-i dont want to go over the 30% mark-thanks

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
If you buy 5 gallons of toluene, it is much much cheaper. Probably 1/2 price per gallon when compared to buying a single gallon or less.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I
Jan 4, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
most just buy it from a paint store, usually pretty easy to find. It's costing MUCH more than it used to though. Around here it's actually more than 116 (tolulene is 114 btw), but just easier to find, which I see as being the main advantage for people around here. To drive the truck to denver & buy some 116 is about $50 worth of time & fuel... gotta buy a lot of 116 to make it worth it.

Dollar wise, toluene will be much cheaper than using torco, but again, more of a hassle to deal with. For me, av gas is a the cheapest way to get where I want to be, but I had to buy a ton more fuel storage to make it worth the trips, at $4.70/gal... it's much cheaper though.

Well i hope it makes you feel better that 91 Octane fuel here in Saskatchewan Canada is over $5.50 a gallon.

Spend a day in our shoes up north and you'll be extremely grateful for your fuel prices.

the sled shop

Lifetime Membership
Jan 27, 2008
lisbon NH
yep still reading up and studying the mixing percentages and learning the point systems-theirs alot to it.i am a klotz dealer here so im going to get some klotz additives and try them in the big dirtbikes here once the snow finally all melts.will probably get some torco as well.

the sled shop

Lifetime Membership
Jan 27, 2008
lisbon NH
yep toluene is $$$$

yes after doing the math and understanding the ratios toluene for me where i live would be expensive as hell,about 18$ a gallon at local hardware.according to the math i would need 3 gallons of toluene to 7 gallons of 93 to achieve 99.3 so that would be 54$ of toluene wow.with the torco or even the klotz you would need about 18$ worth of additive or about a little less than a quart to 10 gal. of 93 to acheive about 100/102.sounds a little better

Last edited:

the sled shop

Lifetime Membership
Jan 27, 2008
lisbon NH
Well i hope it makes you feel better that 91 Octane fuel here in Saskatchewan Canada is over $5.50 a gallon.

Spend a day in our shoes up north and you'll be extremely grateful for your fuel prices.

i feel for ya ippielb
what a bunch of b/s, i dont even feel this ethonated 93 **** is worth the 3.90 a gallon here

the sled shop

Lifetime Membership
Jan 27, 2008
lisbon NH
If you buy 5 gallons of toluene, it is much much cheaper. Probably 1/2 price per gallon when compared to buying a single gallon or less.

milehigh that sounds like it would make a little more sense-buy it in bulk-i will probably try some but dont know has if im going to be dependant on it for sure yet

Last edited:

milehighassassin

Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
Does anyone know for sure how that torco works?
Seems like their math is producing miracle numbers.
It doesn't add up.

Toluene is used by race fuel manufactures in their fuel. Good to know because it is a bad idea to blend it into race fuel because you can go over that 30% mark.

Remember over 30% won't gain you anything else.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Buy av not torco. I had a full can of torco, which is supposed to be 102, and was hitting det sensor on my cat. I can put just a couple gallons of av in and it won't hit det sensor and run more boost. I bought the torco, for convenience on trips, so I didn't have to pack a bunch of av.
A friends dragon would hit det sensor on torco and wouldn't with just a couple of gallons of av. I would say it's garbage. I've got a five gallon can if someone wants it.

the sled shop

Lifetime Membership
Jan 27, 2008
lisbon NH
lead additive

its the lead-were missing the lead its got to be the lead and maybe thats why the av gas just seems to work better-i dont know:face-icon-small-dis

milehighassassin

Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
You can get leaded race gas. Lead will kill your EGT and AFR sensors faster.

Lead is a lubricant, really not needed if you are using a good oil.

the sled shop

Lifetime Membership
Jan 27, 2008
lisbon NH
yep thats what i heard the lead is pretty rough on any sensors also heard it was rough on plugs.its just hard because there is so many opinions on what to use and what not too-i would have no problem with race gas but its pretty hard to get here and even harder out on the trails-thanks for the info,keep it coming-my sponge is getting dry lol

milehighassassin

Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
What about aviation fuel? I know here you can go to the airport and buy aviation fuel.

P.S. Regular 87 is $4.69 a gallon, or $1.24 a liter.

Just depends on the octane you need to run and if you are willing to pack a ton of fuel with you on trips.

Toluene is nice because you can mix it with regular fuel and get higher octane without having to have 10- 5 gallon cans with you.

Givemeaboost

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Great Falls, MT
Buy av not torco. I had a full can of torco, which is supposed to be 102, and was hitting det sensor on my cat. I can put just a couple gallons of av in and it won't hit det sensor and run more boost. I bought the torco, for convenience on trips, so I didn't have to pack a bunch of av.
A friends dragon would hit det sensor on torco and wouldn't with just a couple of gallons of av. I would say it's garbage. I've got a five gallon can if someone wants it.
I'll take if you're giving it away.

Ken......

the sled shop

Lifetime Membership
Jan 27, 2008
lisbon NH
dibs

yeah i here ya dibs on the accelerator haha.yeah its all about conveince and about being able to carry it with you somewhere-you know on a sled it aint so bad but on a dirtbike little harder to have a gallon jug,the more potent the better.klotz makes the 5 gallon cans of race gas concentrate sais its 118 oct.i got to check into it more.see ya

Premium Features