• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

To buy ABS pack or not?***Poll***

To Buy ABS pack or not

• Total voters

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
My pack saved my life today.

If my body had ended up where my sled did, I'd be dead right now, not wasting time on snowest.

Plain & simple, I floated to the top & swam to the edge, stopping about 70 feet above a cheesegrater cliff.

I'll post up a thread, but I figured this fit in this thread.

W

whittaker727

Nov 26, 2007
Naples, Id

If my body had ended up where my sled did, I'd be dead right now, not wasting time on snowest.

Plain & simple, I floated to the top & swam to the edge, stopping about 70 feet above a cheesegrater cliff.

Good to hear you're okay. Sounds like a thread I would like to read.

Trashy

⚙️
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2003
Sherwood Park, Ab, Canada

Sure does fit in this thread!!!!

Thanks for posting!

I finally quit procrastinating and bought a Snowpulse Highmark 30.
I hope I never have to pull that handle, but....

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
little bit of questioning myself... but that's about it. We see a lot of slides around here, they're a way of life, I'm just planning on not spending time IN one anytime soon.

I haven't seen the sled in person yet (ok, my buddy brought me a trashed float & a ski last night...), I get a feeling that'll be another wave of reality... seeing how mangled that thing is, I'm nervous to see it in person.

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
I've got a lousy memory, but I probed for a guy a few years ago in another group that was buried with no avy gear. I will NEVER forget that event watching his wife and wondering what was going thru her head, knowing that her husband was dead and we weren't going to find him. It will definitely be with you forever, luckily you have a happy ending.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
I think I've heard every stupid excuse on earth for not wearing one, here's a few: "Jimmy doesn't wear one and he rides a lot", "I'm never going to put myself in a position where I need to really own one", "If you really think you need one you need to reevaluate where you ride". The reality of it, unless you live in complete denial, is that Jimmy only rides the flatlands, you don't. Driving up the road to our riding area puts you in extreme danger, and again, riding up the road places you in many avalanche paths everyday you ride. I also realize that beacons are most utilized in the finding of dead blue bodies, but everyone now and then they pull one out alive. I'd rather be the guy who has the chance of being pulled out alive rather than the latter.

newmy1

Lifetime Membership
Sep 3, 2008
Huskerland
Either way yes you should buy one and learn how to use it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sunridge Sledhead

Lifetime Membership
Apr 17, 2002
Star Valley, Wyoming
I voted yes, I own one. However, I have often wondered, if I am caught in a slide will I remember to pull the rip cord in the midst of the chaos and stress, and will it inflate, as I have seen some that do not upon testing!? I am used to wearing a backpack, and it has just become part of my "sledding gear" over the years. My philosophy now is to be wise enough to stay out of and off of that terrain during high risk times. I realize accidents happen, and sometimes we are caught off guard. But, it is not worth the risk and devastation caused by me, or a buddy, not coming home!

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
You two just disgust me on this topic. Over the last twelve months you could not have put away $83.33 a month???? Both of you are MODERATORS. Step up and show some direction. You will spend a grand on your sled, truck or maybe even a TV. Next time you leave the house, kiss the wife and kids goodbye. Also tell them that seeing them again is not worth $1000.00.
Scott, where you ride there is no excuse. It is not a money problem it is an attitude problem.

Hey PUCKERED,
Did you see how hard I was on those two? Money can be made, lost and made again. A life can be lost once. It sucks to be the one gone but how about the ones that are left?
Anyway, I got my snowpulse from a dealer in Golden, BC a few years ago. Can't remember the name. The shipping was fine. She shipped the bottle empty. You will have to call your credit card and let them know or the charge will be denied.
Our group is hard on men and women who want to die. Take some spare change and help us help you go home.

I missed this post.
I thought your argument was for beacons, shovels and probes? Did the rules change or had the line in the sand been moved?

Lmfao....you think i don't have an avy pack because I have an attitude problem?
Do you know me? Have we meet? Are you one of my riding partners that I didn't know was on here?
DAD? Is that you?

Your attitude entertains me.

Again....LMFAO!

Blk88GT

Westbound and down
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Winnipeg, Manitoba
I just wanted to report back and say I bought one last year and I won't ride without it.

Skip a few nights in the bar, hold off on that overpriced seat, whatever. I don't want to be the guy who could have come home to family, but instead tried to save a few bucks. If your life isn't worth $500 or $1000, most people probably don't want to ride with you anyways.

Scott, I'm shocked at your response.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Whatever. I an not cavalier aboout riding in avy conditions.
The people I ride with would say so too.

I spend plenty of time on avy education, teaching children avalanche education and educating myself about recognizing the dangers. I spend two weeks a year with 12 year old kids in the classroom educating them about winter and snow safety and then they get two full days in the snow.
I dig pits when I ride. I stay off the hills when I dont like the conditions. Hell, I've even stayed HOME when I didn't like the conditions.
I wear my beacon 100% of the time. I put one on my kid when he's riding his 120 to the warming hut at Lolo Pass (thats a 10 mile meadow ride). I'm about safety and knowing the conditions before I go.

I'm the only person on here who gets grief for not buying a thousand dollar backpack? Seriously?

I'm being treated like the guy who won't buy a beacon. I own two beacons, shovels and probes...but I'm the only one in my house that goes into the backcountry.

If I wear an avy backpack, does that mean I will be cavalier push the envelope a little too much?
Maybe wearing that backpack, FOR SOME PEOPLE, of just a bandaid for stupidity.

I think you are barking up the wrong tree with me. The problem isn't with me. It's with the guy who highmarks a stuck rider, or the guy who won't buy a beacon, shovel and probe, our the guy who buys it but doesn't learn it or won't wear it, or the guy who buys an avy pack and ignores the avy conditions because he thinks his bag is going to be what saved him.

Whats worse than that??? The guy who gets in an avy and doesn't think a mistake was made somewhere among the line.

If a human is involved in an avalanche then a mistake was made, no matter what he spent on his equipment. ;)

Last edited:

FreeAgent

Lifetime Membership
May 28, 2008
I love you Scott and thats all that matters :) Oh BTW he just dropped a grand so lay the F off of him guys!

Shell

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Sorry man, I thought that was all directed at me.
So then what was it that shocked you about my post?

Thanks Michelle. LOL

Trashy

⚙️
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2003
Sherwood Park, Ab, Canada
I have seen plenty of stupid things done by riders wearing avy packs. Its been said before; your avy gear does not create a forcefield to repel avalanches. Rider attitude, training and practice is ***everything***

Premium Features