• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

To buy ABS pack or not?***Poll***

To Buy ABS pack or not

• Total voters

SnowBigDeal

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Dec 17, 2003
Mt. Pleasant, UT
www.snowbigdeal.com
Thanks for the pic. I commented earlier about the Snowpulse. I like the idea of compressed air being easier to refill. Is this going to be a simlilar refill scenario - 3-4000 psi? Do you know what the cubic capacity of the bag will be on this?

And... can we reserve a bag from you? I bought my Pieps, probe and shovel from you and would again.

Appreciate the info SBD. Thx again.

The cans will be refilled to approx. 3000psi. However, the refill scenario is still being determined by BCA. To ensure proper inflation, BCA will be the ones to refill the canisters and replace the O rings on the cans. This is an area that is still being worked out. The airbag capacity will be 150 Liters, inflated.
Yes, as soon as we find out more details you will be able to reserve an airbag from us. It will require a small deposit. However, we don't want to accept any money from anyone until we know for sure that we will be able to deliver.

H
Nov 9, 2001
Lincoln Nebraska
What kind of information are you looking for? The packs are going to have approximately 30L of storage space, thus the name of the pack is the Float 30. They will use compressed air. Weigh about 7lbs. The airbag will come out of the top of the backpack, but not wrap around the head. It will be a mechanically triggered airbag rather than an explosive charge. The packs are in production right now and we are hoping to have the packs in stock by the middle of October. Retail price will be $499.
Here's my cell phone picture of a PROTOTYPE pack. The actual production pack may look different. Hope I don't get in trouble for posting it.
Float30.jpg

Thanks for the post and update.. I know alot of peeps are interested and would think sales will absolutely slay Klims ABS.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Heyburn Idaho
The cans will be refilled to approx. 3000psi. However, the refill scenario is still being determined by BCA. To ensure proper inflation, BCA will be the ones to refill the canisters and replace the O rings on the cans. This is an area that is still being worked out. The airbag capacity will be 150 Liters, inflated.
Yes, as soon as we find out more details you will be able to reserve an airbag from us. It will require a small deposit. However, we don't want to accept any money from anyone until we know for sure that we will be able to deliver.

That looks like a great option thanks for posting :beer;

Ace Freely

Lifetime Membership
Jul 6, 2002
Wenatchee, WA
To the guys that wear them....Have you taken an avy course? Does wearing one give you a "Sense" of security? Have been on the fence, not due to cost, but to the fact that "I have one, I'm fine climbing this hill" even if the conditions aren't right....

Ace

W

whittaker727

Nov 26, 2007
Naples, Id
To the guys that wear them....Have you taken an avy course? Does wearing one give you a "Sense" of security? Have been on the fence, not due to cost, but to the fact that "I have one, I'm fine climbing this hill" even if the conditions aren't right....

Ace

The pack isn't a free pass for stupidity, there are still people sitting at the bottom of the hill probably without a pack. Are you willing to bury them too?

Got my used one for sale. Escape 30
Used one season, great condition. $500 + shipping.
Never Had to deploy.
Ill never ride without one. Doesn't give me a false sense of security. Its just another tool like a shovel or a becon, that is a must have.

PackABS.jpg

C

cobbycat

ACCOUNT CLOSED
May 15, 2008
salmon arm, b.c.
there is no other tool that will keep you out of an avalanche better than using your head and your training..........period!

with that being said, IF you do get caught in an avalanche, the air bag is the only little piece of insurance you can get..........peroid! regardless of the cost, every mountain snowmoblier should have one and take an avy course to reduce the chances of getting caught in the first place! I own an ABS vario, and it is very comfortable but a little heavier than my old one. I just store more stuff in the seat now like extra gloves, food and drinks, and it evens out. by the way, I bought it last year the day after we dug a brother sledder out of a snowy grave at Owlshead, a day I will never forget.

R.I.P. Matt:rose:

mikew5945

Lifetime Membership
Aug 30, 2009
SW Montana
You need another option in the poll....I would if it were cheaper.

You KNOW which argument this will start...but people won't buy them because of the current price.

Its has to be said...yes its price. It would spark a great "soap box" talk. I should of put in that option.

You two just disgust me on this topic. Over the last twelve months you could not have put away $83.33 a month???? Both of you are MODERATORS. Step up and show some direction. You will spend a grand on your sled, truck or maybe even a TV. Next time you leave the house, kiss the wife and kids goodbye. Also tell them that seeing them again is not worth $1000.00.
Scott, where you ride there is no excuse. It is not a money problem it is an attitude problem.

I'm looking to buy one this fall but was leaning more to the Snowpulse. I like the head protection and refillable canisters.

Any comments or experience with these? I think they're a little tough to get in the states, finding only a dealer in Canadia close, every other dealer is in yurp.

Hey PUCKERED,
Did you see how hard I was on those two? Money can be made, lost and made again. A life can be lost once. It sucks to be the one gone but how about the ones that are left?
Anyway, I got my snowpulse from a dealer in Golden, BC a few years ago. Can't remember the name. The shipping was fine. She shipped the bottle empty. You will have to call your credit card and let them know or the charge will be denied.
Our group is hard on men and women who want to die. Take some spare change and help us help you go home.

N

Nor-val

Dec 12, 2007
Armstrong, British Columbia
I agree that everyone who is riding in the mountains should always be wearing an Avy pack, and have an Avy course under there belt. Our riding group made a descision that everyone we ride with will have an Avy course, you never know who might be the one buried. The cost should not even be discussed ...... every weekend that I am in Revy I watch guys riding tricked out sleds, drinking copious amounts of alcohol, driving jacked up trucks, and then climbing hills with no Avy Pack. Then BITCHING about the price of an Avy pack, you have to be bloody kidding me. I am a pretty quiet guy but you guys are IDIOTS !!!!!!!

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
There's a simple formula to ascertain whether it's feasible on your budget to purchase an avy pack.

X= monthly pay
Y= cost of pack
Z= income per month after you die
L= months of life left for your average life expectancy

if (X*12)-Y > (Z*12)*L then go get one.

If (X*12)-Y < (Z*12)*L then you should probably wait till next year.

I hope this simple formula assists some folks in their decision making, once I did the math it was a pretty simple choice.:face-icon-small-win

harrysmith500

Lifetime Membership
There's a simple formula to ascertain whether it's feasible on your budget to purchase an avy pack.

X= monthly pay
Y= cost of pack
Z= income per month after you die
L= months of life left for your average life expectancy

if (X*12)-Y > (Z*12)*L then go get one.

If (X*12)-Y < (Z*12)*L then you should probably wait till next year.

I hope this simple formula assists some folks in their decision making, once I did the math it was a pretty simple choice.:face-icon-small-win

WIN

T
Nov 26, 2007
coeur dalene, idaho
I do ahve an abs pack.
couple of things i would like to see. The pack is good but could use some improvement:

the pack is heavy. very heavy. Becasue of the weight, i bought the 15. But the pack just does not have enough room for all the gear i want to have with me. Also the shovel set up is a pain in the butt. it would be nice to have an easier shovel mounting set up so you could get into the pack to get your drinks out easier. Also the harness. I understand you need to have the harness so it won't come off of you in an avalanche. But becasue of this, you don't want to take you pack off, so you don't get your stuff out of the pack very reguarly.

I am not complaining. but i would like to see abs take the next evolution and incorporate some more user friendly options. They are heavy and not user friendly. But the avy safety is a good tradeoff. But why not have your cake and eat it also.

price sucks but r and d is very expensive. there is more to the cost of the product, than just production runs.

tim

V
Jan 3, 2008
Eastern Wshington
You two just disgust me on this topic. Over the last twelve months you could not have put away $83.33 a month???? Both of you are MODERATORS. Step up and show some direction. You will spend a grand on your sled, truck or maybe even a TV. Next time you leave the house, kiss the wife and kids goodbye. Also tell them that seeing them again is not worth $1000.00.
Scott, where you ride there is no excuse. It is not a money problem it is an attitude problem.

:face-icon-small-dis I see an attitude problem to! Save your disgust for your kids. Grown men make their own choices, and realize they have to live / die by them.

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
:face-icon-small-dis I see an attitude problem to! Save your disgust for your kids. Grown men make their own choices, and realize they have to live / die by them.

I think the disgust was for the example that a moderator type (one that we assume is pretty entrenched in the sport) sets compared to just any joe schmoe on the street.

Notice the date on their posts, 1.5 yr old... a lot has changed in the airbag market in the last 1.5 year & the opinions of whether airbags are worth the investment. (though I believe my equation was still valid back then:face-icon-small-win)

I

Insaneboltrounder/sjohns

Nov 26, 2007
A used |ABS is the same price as new anything else. I found the ABS to be much higher quality. You prob wear a backpack anyway... why not wear one that could save your life.

longgold

Premium Member
Nov 9, 2010
Whistler BC.
I miraculously survived a Tsunami....

There is no ****ing way in hell I am EVER going onto a mountain without a god damned $1000 chance at surviving another freak of nature event...

Tsunami's are rare...avalanches happen every day

Premium Features