• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

To buy ABS pack or not?***Poll***

To Buy ABS pack or not

• Total voters
J
Dec 15, 2007
Troy, MT
It is Time to get set up. For all of Us that do this Sport to the Extreme like so many Do. I my self have put it off for some Stupid Reason called Money.
And it just seems stupid in my case where so much money can be put out for a sled and so little for protection. But after this last season and so many Deaths I will put it off no longer. I just hope that they'll bring the price down so everyone can have a safer chance at coming home to our familys. Thanks for this Post Guys!
Cheers, JOP :D

SnowBigDeal

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Dec 17, 2003
Mt. Pleasant, UT
www.snowbigdeal.com
Airbags are definitely worth the investment! Yes, BCA is coming out with their airbag later this year. I just spoke with BCA about the pack today and it looks like the pack will make it to market before the snow flys, but that is not for certain yet. Hopefully they don't run into any glitches between now & then.
Retail price on the BCA pack is $499.

That being said, the ABS pack has been on the market for a long time and has a proven track record.

Either way......GET AN AIRBAG!

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
You need another option in the poll....I would if it were cheaper.

You KNOW which argument this will start...but people won't buy them because of the current price.

E
Nov 26, 2007
Covington, WA
Airbags are definitely worth the investment! Yes, BCA is coming out with their airbag later this year. I just spoke with BCA about the pack today and it looks like the pack will make it to market before the snow flys, but that is not for certain yet. Hopefully they don't run into any glitches between now & then.

That being said, the ABS pack has been on the market for a long time and has a proven track record.

I'm all over this as long as they are not too small.

F

frock

Sep 13, 2005
British Columbia, Canada
My wife has an ABS and I have the Snowpulse. I prefer the Snowpulse, but that is because I refill my own canister at work. We have a breathing air compressor there that works like a charm. The ABS works just fine, but costs quite a bit (not to mention the wait time) to get a cylinder refilled. The BCA pack will be a great addition to the avalanche pack lineup cause it should force the other 2 to lower their prices a bit and if that happens a lot more people will be wearing these; we all win:D:D.

W
May 14, 2008
Iron Range

Where can I find some info on the BCA back pack. I've now just heard about it and am more than just a little interested.

W
Aug 20, 2008
utah
the economy kicked me in the nuts i lost 25% of my income last year and its looking like another 25% this year that means making half as much as before ill be riding bag free this year.

Cowgirl151

Premium Member
Jul 21, 2005
Soda Springs, Idaho
Yep, like cowboy said above (my hubby...) we got ours at a great price. I was waiting for the BCA too but at least I know these are tested and proven. And if you look close enough, the deals are right in front of you!!!

I wear the 15 and I will be gettin a bigger tunnel bag to store more stuff. It's heavy (for me...) and I need more room as it won't fit in my pack. Very well worth it for the chance I come home to my family!!!!!!!

A
Apr 30, 2008
Anch, AK
The pack is good but is no replacement for knowledge. Don't just rely on a pack to get you out of trouble rely on your brain to not get you on a nasty slope that is about to rip. I would suggest a avy 1 course with field exercises and then maybe buy a pack.

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
I own one..my life is worth far more then the money I spent on the pack..being a single parent I have to do everything possible to make it home..hopefully if things work out both my kids will also have packs this fall(they dont do hi-marking but they do ride the mountains)I feel if you have money for mods such as pipes, clutch kits and such then you can make money for safety stuff...we all have beacons,probes, shovels,and tekvest. 2 more packs and some more avy classes will hopefully come this winter...

SnowBigDeal

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Dec 17, 2003
Mt. Pleasant, UT
www.snowbigdeal.com
Where can I find some info on the BCA back pack. I've now just heard about it and am more than just a little interested.

What kind of information are you looking for? The packs are going to have approximately 30L of storage space, thus the name of the pack is the Float 30. They will use compressed air. Weigh about 7lbs. The airbag will come out of the top of the backpack, but not wrap around the head. It will be a mechanically triggered airbag rather than an explosive charge. The packs are in production right now and we are hoping to have the packs in stock by the middle of October. Retail price will be $499.
Here's my cell phone picture of a PROTOTYPE pack. The actual production pack may look different. Hope I don't get in trouble for posting it.
Float30.jpg

P
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls
Thanks for the pic. I commented earlier about the Snowpulse. I like the idea of compressed air being easier to refill. Is this going to be a simlilar refill scenario - 3-4000 psi? Do you know what the cubic capacity of the bag will be on this?

And... can we reserve a bag from you? I bought my Pieps, probe and shovel from you and would again.

Appreciate the info SBD. Thx again.

Premium Features