• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Spare gas can woes

vdo1948

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eastern South Dakota
What are youi folks doing to find a spare gas can for the tunnel these days? Every new one I look at (CARB type) doesn't allow me to put the neck back inside the can. Am I just stupid or looking in the wrong places or...?

MORSNO

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eagle River, Alaska
Never ever let an old can sell with an old sled. I still have old cans from the 90's, they are like an AR today and just like gold!

Mountain Addiction makes the best constructed can on the market today in my opinion.

PJ-Hunter

Paid Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Jan 31, 2006
Kremmling, Colorado
I go with the POwder Keg. It's a waterproof and damn near bullet proof modular system. you have a 2 or 2.5 gallon fuel cell and a cargo box that snaps on or off easily. Solid, durable, looks great and easy to install.

Blown Motor

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2012
X2 on the Mtn Addiction setup. We have had excellent luck with them. Only issue that has been documented to our knowledge is they don't come with breather plugs anymore, so in the summer months or if you store gas in them very long and the can swells they will pop off of the rails.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I LOVE my Mtn Addiction cans.

Those cans are THICK. WAY more meat to them then regular jerry cans.

LOVE the track system. They just slide on and stay put. No bungies or tie downs at all.

Blown Motor

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2012
I use the skidoo Qlink or whatever its called i really like them and are easey to mount and easy to take off when needed

Do you know if these can be retrofitted to work with other sled brands??

travydog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Tulare south dakota
Not sure. The new skidoo's come with pre drilled holes in the tunnel. On my older ones(2010, 2011) I had to drill the holes. The only reason I could think of why it wouldn't work on another brand would be if the tunnels are different widths. I'm not sure how wide the skidoo is compared to the Polaris or the arctic cat

vdo1948

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eastern South Dakota
Maybe should have been more specific. Trying to buy a 2 - 2.5 gallon can to strap to the tunnel. The standard cans I'm finding in the stores don't seem to allow for putting the spout back inside the can after you use it. Riding with the spout sticking out is just asking for trouble; catching a tree, kicking the spout when I swing a leg over to change sides, etc. Maybe I need to pony up the bucks and buy a good system like a Mountain Addiction. Going on the tunnel of an M8 by the way. Thanks for the replies so far.

Rinker

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
CO
I would pony up and do the mountain addiction. I got sick of messing with bungees and tie downs. Like Scott said- the cans will take some abuse as well. Very well built.

travydog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Tulare south dakota
I would agree. The skidoo cans run $129 I think and would assume the jerry can or mt addition cans would be right around there. Are the cans you buying in town just the red ones that you buy at wal-mart or something? If it is them kind you can put the spout back in the can after its full, or am I on the wrong track of can?

Blown Motor

Lifetime Membership
Sep 20, 2012
The lock and ride cans are only $129 eh? That seems like a pretty darn good deal! The mountain addiction setup runs $129.00 as well for 3.3 Gal.

travydog

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2007
Tulare south dakota
I have bought three of them this year. The first one my boys lost the spout to and you cant just buy the spout from skidoo. So I bought another one for that sled and another one for another sled. I was at wal-mart one day and seen they had replacement spouts for 5 bucks so I bought one thinking if it didn't work i could just throw it away. Low and behold it fits good so now I have 3. I really like those kind. I have one sled that has the old jerry can mount and that works good to, but the new skidoo one is a lot easier to get off the sled and open. I have had to roll the sleds out of stuck situations before and never had a problem with the cans. They seem to hold up very well.

D

Dobber1

Nov 26, 2007
Colorado
I'll bet this is the can he's talking about...
a1a7dedb3adad1543869f0e468d7f982.jpg

"How the Government Screwed Up the Gas Can"

On the older couches/Cats, the tank filler neck was almost wide enough to fit a basketball through...no need for a spout. :face-icon-small-ton

vdo1948

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eastern South Dakota
Yes, Travy they are the Walmart/Ace/Menards red units. Problem is they no longer come with a seal that seals it tight when you put the spout back inside the can. They aren't quite as bad as what Dobber pictured. Look like this.

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
I used the same can you have pictured, tossed the nozzle, bought some gasket material and cut plugs out with scissors. Cats can be poured into with no spout. Gasket material can be found at auto parts stores.

plumnuts

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Right side of Washington
I go with the POwder Keg. It's a waterproof and damn near bullet proof modular system. you have a 2 or 2.5 gallon fuel cell and a cargo box that snaps on or off easily. Solid, durable, looks great and easy to install.

they are a little spendy but I like the quality... great cans

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
Maybe should have been more specific. Trying to buy a 2 - 2.5 gallon can to strap to the tunnel. The standard cans I'm finding in the stores don't seem to allow for putting the spout back inside the can after you use it. Riding with the spout sticking out is just asking for trouble; catching a tree, kicking the spout when I swing a leg over to change sides, etc. Maybe I need to pony up the bucks and buy a good system like a Mountain Addiction. Going on the tunnel of an M8 by the way. Thanks for the replies so far.

The Wal-Marts here and in Laramie seem to have a nice 2 gallon can. Wish the profile was a little lower though, but the spout can be reversed and stored in the can. $9. They also sell smaller 1 gallon versions, so maybe 2 of those side by side.

I've got an old Ski-doo can I'll sell you. 3.5 gallon, low profile. The plastic corrugated portion of the spout broke but otherwise in decent shape. I don't have the mounting bracket. PM me if interested.

I like my Rubbermaid/Gott 2.5 gallon but they don't make those anymore so I'm real careful not to lose it.

Premium Features