• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

SnowHawk on a groomed trail? How do they handle?

N
Jan 29, 2008
I ride in Michigan and I'm wondering with the mix of on/off trail riding we do how well does a SnowHawk handle on a groomed trail? Could you ride 200 miles on the trail or would you just be beat? How do they handle in icey conditions? Probably 50/50 off/on trail riding. Thanks.

B
Nov 28, 2007
They handle like a gp racer if set up correctly. The ski setup,with kick back , anti darting ( snow tracker kit ) and twin axis combined together will give great leaning without washing out . The easterners will chime in but most of us are moving to backcountryrebels.com. You might want to check it out and ? it over there.

B
Jan 12, 2008
hamburg,ny
They handle like a gp racer if set up correctly. The ski setup,with kick back , anti darting ( snow tracker kit ) and twin axis combined together will give great leaning without washing out . The easterners will chime in but most of us are moving to snowestonline.com. You might want to check it out and ? it over there.

funny how its says that we are moving to snowestonline.com when we are already here....

Last edited by a moderator:
T

Thunderhawk

Sep 5, 2009
CT
I like that, "GP Racer"! Yea it's that kind of thrill!

Just went out for my first ride since meeting that Utah rock. I took the 500 out for 3 tanks of darting around trials. As the day wore on the corners were getting icy, so you just take a more cautious line.

The bottom line is these things are incredible and you should buy one. Look around you on the trail, the average sled is less than 3 years old and cost $10k or more. They're being moved in $10K trailers and pulled behind $50K trucks. Given the rarity (only 1,200 ever made of all models combined) what's the big deal with spending $5K on a nice used hawk. Worst case senario after giving it an honest effort to learn it, if you don't like it, you put it up for sale. Given the rarity and growing interest it will sell. Take $500 off for your time of use and soon it will be in the hands of someone who loves it and will never give it up.

I just discovered these things this seaon and I don't understand why the market hasn't embraced them. I was concerned that it was a neat idea, that the function did not live up to, but that is not the case. They ride awesome in both powder and trails. If you've heard that they don't, it's probably from someone who rode a machine without the trail adapter and snowtracker updates.

I let 2 guys try it yesterday and they both did great. One like it so much I think he's going to get one. Have some faith, be adventerous and act quickly while you still have time enjoy it this season.

T
Nov 29, 2007
Morrsitown Vermont
I live in Northern VT where we have a great system of trails I would say I ride 60/40 trail depending on the year. A SnowHawk is my only machine. 300 miles is a stretch if you are hammering but if you are used to riding technical trails on your dirt bike in the summer you will be in shape enough to go on long rides. Icy Conditions you need to be careful like riding in slick mud, Latest ski and studding is recommended but I don't believe 100% icy exists the snow ultimately gets pushed to the outside of the turns where the hawk settles in the berm and roosts away. I had all the same questions you are having and this was the thread I created after all those questions were answered on my first real ride..

http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=60082

Get one ASAP they are disappearing..

Last edited:

mnsnowhawk

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2007
Dayton, Minnesota
I mostly ride the trails in the U.P. of Michigan. If set up with all of the updates you will be able to ride forever. I own two and love them. I can ride as much as the two-skis I usually go with. Great off trail also. You can just fly through the trees. Most of us have moved. May not be many more posts. Look for us

N
Jan 29, 2008
Are they no longer being produced? When everyone says moved where exactly did they move? Isn't this snowestonline.com that I'm already on? If you're in the UP maybe I could stop by one of these weekends and checkout one of your Hawks?

mnsnowhawk

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2007
Dayton, Minnesota
You can still buy a new one for 16,000. You can find used ones for around 4-7,000. I live in Minnesota. I don't have any more trips planned this year. Lemoines motorsports sells them in the U.P. I made the jump without even trying one. You should too. It is the best thing I ever did as a snowmobiler. The hawkers on here have moved to another forum.

Last edited by a moderator:
F
Jan 21, 2008
St.catharines
suspension is better on the trails then my sled,but a couple hundre miles will take more out of you then a sled will.

I've got the latest ski update and screws in the track and slid out on the ice that was under the snow on the trail, slid off the corner between a couple trees. That being said I havn't ridden my 800 polaris in 2 years now,I like riding the hawk.

Premium Features