• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ski-Doo Update: Changes to MY2017 Sleds

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
Doo is upping the oil consumption for one reason - because they have to. Yeah, nice to sell a bit more oil. Increased oil sales would be dwarfed by warranty claims and the damage to market image if these motors failed due to lack of lube. They obviously found an issue, and are addressing it. And that's all it is. .

I agree. It was one of their selling points too, which is unfortunate for those who believed it. But better to find it now and make the necessary changes than have issues later on. Getting back into compliance with EPA after adding more oil has the potential to delay delivery of these sleds. Just keep that in mind, with the reasons why, and no one will be disappointed. This is a good thing! :)

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
The whole concept of having to BURN oil just to run a sled seems so dang foreign to me still!

5 yamahas, 3 boosted, and NEVER had to touch the oil during a season.

Looking forward to riding my new 850s, but this oil consumption thing is going to take some getting used to...:face-icon-small-dis

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
The whole concept of having to BURN oil just to run a sled seems so dang foreign to me still!

Looking forward to riding my new 850s, but this oil consumption thing is going to take some getting used to...:face-icon-small-dis

Your going to learn that every morning before you head out you make sure the oil is full. It's just part of pre-flight and after one day you don't even think about it, you just do it.

However what you might notice is you'll start watching for deals on oil and stocking up. At least that is what we do. I picked up all my oil for the season a few weeks back when it was on sale in July for about $7 a gallon off.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I agree. It was one of their selling points too, which is unfortunate for those who believed it. But better to find it now and make the necessary changes than have issues later on. Getting back into compliance with EPA after adding more oil has the potential to delay delivery of these sleds. Just keep that in mind, with the reasons why, and no one will be disappointed. This is a good thing! :)

Since EPA regulations are based on an average of sleds produced, I bet BRP saw they had enough trail sleds sold to be able to up the oil consumption on the mountain sleds that get ridden harder. Plus they get to sell more oil this way!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Your going to learn that every morning before you head out you make sure the oil is full. It's just part of pre-flight and after one day you don't even think about it, you just do it.

However what you might notice is you'll start watching for deals on oil and stocking up. At least that is what we do. I picked up all my oil for the season a few weeks back when it was on sale in July for about $7 a gallon off.

The joys of riding a 2 stroke eh?:face-icon-small-hap

S

sledsrock

Nov 26, 2007
Grand Junction, Co.

You use an electric weed trimmer don't you? lol

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY

Having a light sled will take some time getting used to as well. :face-icon-small-hap

Calvin42

Premium Member
Oct 14, 2008
Cantonment, FL
Took a friend out that owned a Turbo Nytro and Turbo Cat, and put him on my Pro RMK 163". Every time he went to turn, he dumped it on it's side. After riding four strokes, it takes some time to get use to a lighter sled. There were things I loved about my Turbo Nytro, but love all my Pro's and am looking forward to the new Doo. Would love to try out a new Sidewinder to see if adding it to the stable is something worth doing, but maybe next year.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Took a friend out that owned a Turbo Nytro and Turbo Cat, and put him on my Pro RMK 163". Every time he went to turn, he dumped it on it's side. After riding four strokes, it takes some time to get use to a lighter sled. There were things I loved about my Turbo Nytro, but love all my Pro's and am looking forward to the new Doo. Would love to try out a new Sidewinder to see if adding it to the stable is something worth doing, but maybe next year.

Thats the great thing about sledding.
Every year brings something new.

When I went from my Nytro to the Viper I rolled it in the parking lot on the very first turn. Pulled that sucker over hard like I was used to and there I was laying in the snow. No doubt there will be a new learning curve on the 850 Doo as well

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
When I went from my Nytro to the Viper I rolled it in the parking lot on the very first turn. Pulled that sucker over hard like I was used to and there I was laying in the snow. No doubt there will be a new learning curve on the 850 Doo as well

My guess is this will be the best year you've had in a while once you get that turbo on the 850

Last edited:

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN
So whats the reality on Oil vs. Gas.

One tank of Oil for every XX Tank of Gas???

90% of the time I can get by topping my oil of in the morning and getting a full day ride (which can be up to 2 full tanks of fuel). With the exception of those super deep power days where the only throttle is full throttle and that for me is about a 1 to 1 for tank of oil to tank of gas. This has pretty much worked to be the case for every sled I have had including my current 13 RMK. A buddy running a 15 XM Summit will use slightly less then I do for similar conditions and I would expect the new Gen 4 to be a bit easier on oil then the XM. But a lot is how hard your running the sled too. Not a lot of oil used to run down a trail but when you hold her to the bars all day they can drink it pretty good.

C
Feb 3, 2016
Alaska
Not sure on the Doo capacity, but Poo packs enough oil for 2-3 tanks of fuel pretty easily. Hence why Doo always wants to compare wet weights..they don't pack any gas or oil! :juggle:

Actually, Snowest did a wet weight weigh off, Doo 165 vs Poo 174 - difference of 1 pound. Not bad IMO.. Also, I only use about a quarter tank of oil per tank of gas which is usually 60-100 miles, depending on snow depth and other factors.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
So the order of the day should be stocking up on this stuff whenever there is a deal to be had?

$_58.JPG

Looks like around $40 per gallon or less is a good deal??

Premium Features