• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ski-Doo Update: Changes to MY2017 Sleds

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho

Posted by Ross Halvorson
on Friday, July 22, 2016

Ski-Doo has announced a number of changes to their 2017 snowmobile lineup. Many of the changes impact the new Gen4 REV sleds equipped with all new 850 E-TEC engine. Here's an outline of the changes announced today:

Models equipped with the Rotax 850 E-TEC engine will have oil economy in line with the same levels as the 800R E-TEC engine.

MXZ and Renegade models equipped with the 850 Rotax engine will have pDrive clutches equipped with clickers for RPM adjustment.

All Summit REV-XM and REV Gen4 based models will now be equipped with one set of front idler wheels in addition to the rail mounted ice scratchers.

Summit REV Gen4 models will use a one-piece bottom gear rather than the proposed bi-metal gear.

Updates have also been made regarding suspension travel and dimensions to several models:

Front suspension travel on REV Gen4 models

MXZ TNT/Renegade Adrenaline = 8.7” (220 mm)
MXZ X/Renegade X = 9.2” (233 mm)
Summit SP and X = 8.5” (215mm)

Front Suspension travel on REV-XS/XM models

MXZ X/Renegade X = 8.2” (208 mm)
Summit SP and X = 7.7” (195mm)
REV Gen4 MXZ and Renegade models ski stance – 42.4” (1077 mm)
Renegade X-RS weight updated to include Electric Start = 503 lbs./228kg
Renegade Backcountry X overall height = 44.5”/1130 mm

ntm_08

Lifetime Membership
May 21, 2009

Posted by Ross Halvorson
on Friday, July 22, 2016

Ski-Doo has announced a number of changes to their 2017 snowmobile lineup. Many of the changes impact the new Gen4 REV sleds equipped with all new 850 E-TEC engine. Here's an outline of the changes announced today:

Models equipped with the Rotax 850 E-TEC engine will have oil economy in line with the same levels as the 800R E-TEC engine.

MXZ and Renegade models equipped with the 850 Rotax engine will have pDrive clutches equipped with clickers for RPM adjustment.

All Summit REV-XM and REV Gen4 based models will now be equipped with one set of front idler wheels in addition to the rail mounted ice scratchers.

Summit REV Gen4 models will use a one-piece bottom gear rather than the proposed bi-metal gear.

Updates have also been made regarding suspension travel and dimensions to several models:

Front suspension travel on REV Gen4 models

MXZ X/Renegade X = 9.2” (233 mm)
Summit SP and X = 8.5” (215mm)

Front Suspension travel on REV-XS/XM models

MXZ X/Renegade X = 8.2” (208 mm)
Summit SP and X = 7.7” (195mm)
REV Gen4 MXZ and Renegade models ski stance – 42.4” (1077 mm)
Renegade X-RS weight updated to include Electric Start = 503 lbs./228kg
Renegade Backcountry X overall height = 44.5”/1130 mm

Do you know more about the 40% more oil consumption then ad. on the 850? There must be some reliability problems? Darn late to change this. After all preorders and 2017 brosures all claiming 40% less then the 800.

Thanks

S

snowmobiler

Nov 26, 2001
whats a couple bucks in extra oil when it will destroy cats and poos.LOL

Trashy

⚙️
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 10, 2003
Sherwood Park, Ab, Canada
850's are breaking already. Can't keep a piston in them or a hifax on them :)

Yup, the summer months are always hard on hifax. :D

Not sure what to say about the oil thing. From one perspective, good on them for being proactive; but at the same time it reminds me of the lightweight silencer that was promised for the '15 T3's that got the hook after all the snowcheck deposits are in. To be followed in short order by a list of excuses why. Makes the marketing look bad and just a touch unethical IMO.

NorthMNSledder

Trail Coordinator
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Ham Lake / Lake of the Woods, MN

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
Between a Rock and a Hard Place
No time for explanations, but plenty of time to change all the video evidence etc. Where they are claiming the 40% oil consumption.

(Look at 3.30)

Originale video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6e_FKTxNEU

New video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOL-yN4o8zY

Hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!! Hey snowmobiler, maybe you can still ride that 850 if you can somehow find a way to scrape the oil off your hands from rubbing grammas hairy back and put it in your oil tank.

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
No time for explanations, but plenty of time to change all the video evidence etc. Where they are claiming the 40% (less) oil consumption.

(Look at 3.30)

Originale video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c6e_FKTxNEU

New video. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tOL-yN4o8zY

VERY interesting.

Listen to video #1 (old one) from 3:50 to 4:01. It says "you can now cover 40% more distance on the same liter of oil."
https://youtu.be/c6e_FKTxNEU?t=3m55s

Now listen to video #2 (new one) from 3:55 to 4:04. The 40% more distance thing is GONE!
https://youtu.be/tOL-yN4o8zY?t=3m50s

I guess the 40% less oil consumption that they used as a selling point didn't work out so well . . .??? :(

Last edited:

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
With the whole VW lawsuit the figured they better admit it now and pay the penalty instead of having the epa come after them.

In a way, it probably IS an EPA thing . . . .

Using LESS oil rarely will upset the EPA. Using MORE oil will.

I wonder if after all the demo sleds, with the reduced oil consumption settings, that were within the EPA guidelines, were ridden, they tore down the engines and found excessive wear, and decided to turn up the oil for longevity purposes. If this is the case, it's a very good thing for the consumer, but the EPA freaks out.

Then, they have had to get the new settings on the increased oil consumption approved by the EPA. Perhaps this is why there has been much speculation on the late delivery of the new sleds . . .? I cant imagine doo doo being able to start production without meeting certain EPA guidelines.

New engines are always a challenge!! Polaris has had their share of oopsies in the past. The AXYS was spot on, but in years past, there were definitely issues.

Stay tuned . . . . :)

Last edited:

ntm_08

Lifetime Membership
May 21, 2009
In a way, it probably IS an EPA thing . . . .

Using LESS oil rarely will upset the EPA. Using MORE oil will.

I wonder if after all the demo sleds, with the reduced oil consumption settings, that were within the EPA guidelines, were ridden, they tore down the engines and found excessive wear, and decided to turn up the oil for longevity purposes. If this is the case, it's a very good thing for the consumer, but the EPA freaks out.

Then, they have had to get the new settings on the increased oil consumption approved by the EPA. Perhaps this is why there has been much speculation on the late delivery of the new sleds . . .? I cant imagine doo doo being able to start production without meeting certain EPA guidelines.

New engines are always a challenge!! Polaris has had their share of oopsies in the past. The AXYS was spot on, but in years past, there were definitely issues.

Stay tuned . . . . :)

Don`t think Doo will have the EPA on their neck. My understanding its the total package ( all snowmobile sales ) that make the average claim. So where Doo is selling a lot of 4strokes i think their 2 stroke machines even with the 800etec level of oil is far inside the limit. for now though.

Polaris on the other hand i think is more in trouble?

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
Don`t think Doo will have the EPA on their neck. My understanding its the total package ( all snowmobile sales ) that make the average claim. So where Doo is selling a lot of 4strokes i think their 2 stroke machines even with the 800etec level of oil is far inside the limit. for now though.

Polaris on the other hand i think is more in trouble?

Yes, it's a fleet average. Doo is upping the oil consumption for one reason - because they have to. Yeah, nice to sell abit more oil. Increased oil sales would be dwarfed by warranty claims and the damage to market image if these motors failed due to lack of lube. They obviously found an issue, and are addressing it. And that's all it is.

Re: poo, they offer a total of like three motors now in sleds, and have dialed back oil consumption OOTB to some scary numbers (post breakin for e-pump sleds). Likely how they are getting by, along with past credit carryforward. Engine size matters, too, when calc'ing the fleet average, which is one of the reasons AC dropped the 1000 2 stroke. Too big, too dirty, just push them to the 800 throttle body efi. Gave them more time to develop the 800 c-tec with all their 4s credits.

sledheader

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2013
Between a Rock and a Hard Place
Yes, it's a fleet average. Doo is upping the oil consumption for one reason - because they have to. Yeah, nice to sell abit more oil. Increased oil sales would be dwarfed by warranty claims and the damage to market image if these motors failed due to lack of lube. They obviously found an issue, and are addressing it. And that's all it is.

Re: poo, they offer a total of like three motors now in sleds, and have dialed back oil consumption OOTB to some scary numbers (post breakin for e-pump sleds). Likely how they are getting by, along with past credit carryforward. Engine size matters, too, when calc'ing the fleet average, which is one of the reasons AC dropped the 1000 2 stroke. Too big, too dirty, just push them to the 800 throttle body efi. Gave them more time to develop the 800 c-tec with all their 4s credits.

I've been impressed with the oil consumption in my axys. Impressed meaning the ol' girl likes to drink lol. During break in, I kid you not, I was running around a 20:1 ratio. Two tanks of fuel without oil and my oil light came on long before I got back to the trailer. Even after break in it's drinking oil, although not as much. I haven't calc'd what it's actually using but I would say every bit as much as my last sled (04 700). With silber's reflash I think it's even using more oil than it used to but I only have a couple short rides on it since the turbo.

Premium Features