• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Satellite Phones

E

EricW

Nov 26, 2007
NE Washington
X2 on Fordmans statements. I've got the Iridium for 2 years now and been very happy. Had to use it twice and worth the entire cost each time. Each time I ride a new area I enter the local emergency numbers in it and carry a GPS. Ironically both times I have used it were for other people who were locals. In some of the riding I do in BC, I even make prior arrangements with the local Heli companies to come get me if needed(I'm a bleeder). Good luck. EW

N

Nubulin

Oct 26, 2005
Flatlands USA :(
My iridium 9505A worked well in a snow storm last year for my unplanned camping trip at 10K. Was nice to talk to our buddies and give them the exact location and situation so no one did anything stupid to come "rescue" us before morning. A LOT better than a "come help me" e-mail/text message that the SPOT sends.

M
Jul 3, 2008
Utah
Apparently Globalstar owns Spot. So does that mean that Spot is unreliable as well

SPOT LLC, a wholly-owned subsidiary of Globalstar Inc. (Nasdaq:GSAT) today announced that its SPOTadventures.com, a new social website dedicated to the growing SPOT Satellite GPS Messenger user community, is gaining momentum. Launched in April, www.SPOTadventures.com offers outdoor enthusiasts and trip-goers a free, interactive way to enhance their adventures online while sharing their experiences with others.

Providing users of the SPOT Satellite GPS Messenger a fun and simple way to upload, display and manage their location-based data, SPOTadventures.com has grown rapidly and now hosts thousands of posted adventures from around the world including hiking trips, motorcycle rides, kayak and canoe outings, mountain biking, sailing expeditions and family vacations.

Easy-to-use site features provide a variety of ways to enhance one's vacation, trip or outing. Each user has a custom profile which contains a live-feed on Google Maps for displaying route waypoints. Users can turn their waypoints into "Adventures" by uploading geo-tagged pictures and writing a trip blog or allow friends to comment on recent trips. Each SPOT adventure can be saved and archived for later reference as one's own personal online adventure diary. Integration of the latest social network tools, allows users to instantly exchange information with other sites including Facebook, Twitter, Digg and Flickr.

"Today's society is embracing new geo-location applications and people are enjoying innovative ways to connect with each other while pursuing their passions," said Darren Bassel, Director of Global Marketing, SPOT LLC. "The SPOT Messenger is the ideal device for sending location-based information live as it happens from around town or the remote backcountry without the limitations of cellular. The SPOT Adventures community provides our active users a place to tell their stories in colorful and interesting ways and share their experiences with people who enjoy common interests and activities."

Visitors to SPOTadventures.com can search by most popular adventures such as a recent 4,938 mile motorcycle ride "North to Alaska and Back in 7 days" or survival expert Les Stroud's recent on-location episode in Australia.

SPOT Satellite GPS Messenger is a portable, hand-held device that allows people to send location-based messages using satellite communications The SPOT Messenger has been embraced by outdoor enthusiasts around the world including hikers, boaters, pilots, skiers, world travelers, families on the road and remote workers.

About SPOT LLC

The SPOT Satellite Messenger, the world's first satellite messenger, uses both the GPS satellite network to determine a customer's location and the SPOT network to transmit that information to friends, family or an emergency service call center. SPOT LLC, a subsidiary of Globalstar, Inc. (Nasdaq:GSAT), provides lifesaving communications technology that allows users to communicate from remote locations around the globe. Thanks to this affordable, cutting-edge personal safety device, the company offers people peace of mind by allowing customers to notify friends and family of their location and status, and to send for emergency assistance in time of need, completely independent of cellular phone or wireless coverage. For more information on how SPOT LLC is helping users live to tell about it(SM) - from disaster preparedness to outdoor adventure purposes - visit www.findmespot.com.

The SPOT Adventures Logo is available at http://www.globenewswire.com/newsroom/prs/?pkgid=6660

Images of the SPOT Satellite GPS Messenger and SPOT Adventures logo are available upon request.

This news release was distributed by GlobeNewswire, www.globenewswire.com

Premium Features