• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Letter from Ski-Doo about MISSING functionality in 10.25" Screen

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
No it would not be expensive, the phone is a radio device and has buddy tracking with cell service.
Who knows if the embedded maps module that was leaked doesn’t have the buddy tracking in it like the phone, and that’s what’s being worked on. So the switch is from the phone to a module. The only software update I see if for the go app in the gauge for use with the module.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Embedded maps simple is memory space with a pre-loaded map on it so it does not need the map in your phone. That memory space could be in the gauge or in an external module that also contains a 2 way data radio. The complexity of the radio and antenna will make it pricy. I hope I am wrong and you are right though.

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
One thing many may not know is that the gauge had to start in the largest area, which is trail. And maps had to be updatable immediately as if a guy wanted the trail on his land shut down or closed or opened that had to happen right away to avoid confusion. This is why it is done on your phone. The letter also shows how limited sledders are in their knowledge as the person did not even know to download the maps and that their cell phone actually follows you all day even if it is shut off and out of cell reception. The gauge is being worked on and updated every day and don't get me wrong there are things i want on it as well that mimick the letter. It will happens when it happens. Personally after using the guage for a few seasons, I love it, for the size and ease of use on a few things. If I went and bought a sled today I would probably just get the small gauge and that is the best part, choice. cheer

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
One thing many may not know is that the gauge had to start in the largest area, which is trail. And maps had to be updatable immediately as if a guy wanted the trail on his land shut down or closed or opened that had to happen right away to avoid confusion. This is why it is done on your phone. The letter also shows how limited sledders are in their knowledge as the person did not even know to download the maps and that their cell phone actually follows you all day even if it is shut off and out of cell reception. The gauge is being worked on and updated every day and don't get me wrong there are things i want on it as well that mimick the letter. It will happens when it happens. Personally after using the guage for a few seasons, I love it, for the size and ease of use on a few things. If I went and bought a sled today I would probably just get the small gauge and that is the best part, choice. cheer
Thanks Dave.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
Seeing what I could do with the navigation while riding in the fog trying to get back to the cabin, in an unknown riding area, and being able to see it while riding, the gauge was worth it. Yes it has its glitches and shortcomings, and it came with a learning curve to understand how to use the app correctly.
With every product, learning how to use it, and use it correctly is very important, I am looking forward to seeing how it evolves, it is getting better.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

turbo800

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Northern,UT
THAT right there is my greatest fear.
BRP will leave all of us HOLDING THE BAG

Honestly, there would be HOLY HELL TO PAY if they go that route.
Another thing they might be able to do with an over the air software update...
With your phone plugged into the sled/gauge, they might be able to mirror you phone to the sled display, similar to Android Auto / Apple Carplay.
Then you could save an Offline map before hand with an App like OnX and have it active on your sled.

It's not the ideal solution everybody is wanting...but it might be enough to tide ppl over til the next release.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
Doo should just scrap the big gauge and start over. I would be shocked the they can add all the features it should have had and that people want without major hardware revisions.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
You are going to be shocked then. This gauge has so many different features. The on road gauge do not use the BRP go app FYI.

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
Doo should just scrap the big gauge and start over. I would be shocked the they can add all the features it should have had and that people want without major hardware revisions.
at least some sort of timeline so that owners would know if/when whatever updates will be available. the whole roll out of the gauge leaves alot to be desired especially this late in the game. i would have thought for sure that by the second season of it's implementation that it would be a done deal.

Last edited:

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
at least some sort of timeline so that owners would know if/when whatever updates will be available. the whole roll out of the gauge leaves alot to be desired especially this late in the game. i would have thought for sure that by the second season of it's implementation that it would be a done deal.
They are likely working with governments around the world for approvals to use radio. How can you speed up governments? Unless they piggy-back some exisiting tech or go direct to Starlink, it is not always their timeline.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
You are going to be shocked then. This gauge has so many different features. The on road gauge do not use the BRP go app FYI.

EVERYONE who owns one, MYSELF INCLUDED are eagerly looking forward to BEING SHOCKED!
And yes, I fully expect that to happen, or I would not have just bought one myself.;);)

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
The problem BRP runs into with that is almost assured DISAPPOINTMENT of the customer base.
The MOMENT they lay out a timeline and miss it, EVERYONE starts bitching and moaning.

jdog1

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2007
perhaps we will all be NICELY SURPRISED at the solution they roll finally out.;)
I wish they would just work with Polaris or Cat now to get a common system. Most of us ride with someone on a alternate brand, now and again.
Or it will just cause racism in snowmobiling and you will only be able to ride with just skidoo or polaris riders.🤪🤪

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
EVERYONE who owns one, MYSELF INCLUDED are eagerly looking forward to BEING SHOCKED!
And yes, I fully expect that to happen, or I would not have just bought one myself.;);)

Play with the Go app and see the difference in the off road, sea doo and on road. The on road does not have BRP navigation, is used apps off your phone like rever. Etc.

Right now better buddy tracking on the BRP gauge is not a priority for me, when a better navigation system is. Until BRP stops having that small gauge option and makes all sleds Navi capeable, I have sledded with more small screen doos than than the big ones.

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
They are likely working with governments around the world for approvals to use radio. How can you speed up governments? Unless they piggy-back some exisiting tech or go direct to Starlink, it is not always their timeline.
maybe but if so, why not have that ironed out before the release?

jcjc1

Premium Member
Mar 8, 2019
The problem BRP runs into with that is almost assured DISAPPOINTMENT of the customer base.
The MOMENT they lay out a timeline and miss it, EVERYONE starts bitching and moaning.
did they miss a timeline? why release something that's not really ready?

Premium Features