• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Rk Tek 860 big bore

owenb2

Lifetime Membership
Mar 8, 2010
wyo
Thanks for your imput!! i do have a few questions..

Yes, I have an RKTek.. Many hours on it, no, unfortunately. I got it at the end of the season but OHHHHH MAAANNN I wish I had had it all season!!!

- How many miles/ hours on the BB?

We ride a lot of tight stuff and I log a lot of weekend miles. I

- How was the power compaired to stock especially on the bottom/ coming in and out of the throttle? I primarily ride trees and creeks so WOT performance is not as important as torque

thanks again !

S
Nov 28, 2007
Spokane, Wa
profile.myspace.com
I personally had about 6 rides on it. The sled had 1400 miles on the BB though?? I think that's what Kelsey said. I bought their personal build since I HAD to have a sled a week after my turbo blew up and I had to know everything was right with it (and I knew they were done riding for the season with the low snow down there).

I bought the sled, had it delivered via a buddy and was back on the snow with I think only one weekend of down time, pretty impressive. I'd had a HORRIBLE season on my turbo so hadn't gotten to ride or get any footage for 509 Films so I pretty much threw my plastics and graphics on this sled, got one weekend in on her and was off the film!!

The first weekend I had her it was a CRAZY hot spring day the air was SUPER heavy and the snow as super wet and heavy. I was running stock clutching since that was what came on the sled and I wasn't impressed with how that worked with the sled. I DEF think there is some power to be realized by getting good secondary load on that motor... We rode some of the nastiest trees around since it was a stubborn buddy of ours on a cat and a BUNCH of Pros (he wanted to prove he M1000 was flickable too! hehehehe). I could tell right off the bat the sled was running rich (which we thought it might since Kelsey is at a higher elevation than I am but..... well.... I'm not gonna lie, I was lazy and I was skert! ;) I came off of an entire season FAWKING with a tune and ended up blowing it up. the last thing I wanted to do on this sled was tune it OR blow it up! I figured rich was good and it was out running the other Pros so I was happy!!!

That being said, yeah, I knew I was leaving power on the table... I had a mad dash of 3 weekends of riding one a filming weekend where I put the 858 up a little chute. I didn't have the time to fine tune the kit or to address some of the stock issues (clutching) with the sled... but like I said, it was STILL out running the stock Pros had decent bottom end (I know that can be cleaned up with tune and clutching) and pulling for days power on top end (which I know can be cleaned up with clutching and made to last longer for some of the longer chutes).

I'm not going to lie to you and go on and on about how amazing it was cause, well, I KNEW I was leaving performance on the table and I'm not the kind of person to be satisfied until I get that performance out of her. BUT she ran SOOOOO solidly and smoothly (even with the rich tune) and she ran MUCH stronger than a stocker, both on bottom and top!

I'm pretty much 99% tree rider myself. I do chutes in the spring just for the film industry. I bought a turbo just for that, realized that wasn't me and am back to my happy place, the big bore. I had a big bore doo before this and LOVED IT for tree riding and the occasional small chute. This sled is the same and will be even better once I clean it up!!! I really can't say enough good things about big bores in general and I've been working with Kelsey's stuff ever since one of my buddies said to give RKTek a try. I've never had a complaint or an issue and the power always reminds me why I love big bores -killer for tree riding and for daily kicking arse kinda riding!!

Last edited:
S
Nov 28, 2007
Spokane, Wa
profile.myspace.com
Oh, and let me add this.... my sled out running all the other sleds IS a true representation... I know some chicks say that but they weigh quite a bit less than the guys so it's a little unfair... I don't want to let on how much I weigh but I will tell you I'm tall and played upper level rugby in the states for years so I'm not a twig kinda girl! My sled has to work just as hard (sometimes a fair amount harder than some of the medium sized guys) as 'guy ridden' sleds!

(no fat jokes allowed fawkers!):bounce:

Last edited:
S
Nov 28, 2007
Spokane, Wa
profile.myspace.com
Yup, hope it helps! I'm stoked as can be for this season on my 858 and know my riding is going to go through the roof on a consistent sled and with some sweet bottom end power to help me in the techy spots in the trees!!! Dang it, now you have me all excited for the season!!

Last edited:

wellfed777

Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Oregon
Skadi thank you for you report !

ps never cared for twiggy girls like hugging a bag of antlers:face-icon-small-win

S
Nov 28, 2007
Spokane, Wa
profile.myspace.com
oh jeesh... I put 6 rides on it. you are correct, there could be something horribly wrong with it... Oh, wait, i tore it down and looked at it all as WELL as sent it in to Kelsey to look at (but yes, I looked at it too and I'm no dummy, chick maybe and maybe a chick who just wasn't cut out for the turbo world but I'm pretty mechanically inclined and this isn't my first big bore build!) Everything looked good in there, 1400 miles, Kelsey wouldn't lie to me about how many miles are on the BB!! If anything and he were trying to make a sale to me he would have said less to make it sound like it had fewer miles on the build and therefore worth more!!

I'm not trusting Kelsey blindly, I was very happy with his Doo products and know he will take the same care with his Poo big bore! mine had 1400 miles on it and when I tore it down all looked good but I still sent it to Kelsey and put a new top end in it as part of HIS R&D process.

Goodness, I feel like you just want to poke holes in EVERYTHING. Not trying to be rude and I don't even CLOSE to want to get involved in how things went down with you but... hey, it's the world of machines, and modded machines at that!! I had a turbo build go TOTALLY sideways on me and I understand that things go sideways sometimes... I'm just trying to post MY experience with this BB and with RKTeks BBs in general since this is now number 2 that I will have built and ran....

K

Kestrel2126

Nov 17, 2009
Grand Jct, CO
I should be receiving my kit this week. I do intend on running it at 700' elevation on 14 lbs. boost here shortly. The runs will be obviously short, but it should stress it. I hope it holds together.
Did you leave off a zero? 7000' instead of 700'? 14 PSI of boost at 700' is a bit extreme to hope that it will "hold together" on any small block 2 stroke. Good luck though. Should be crazy ride for a while.

m1kflyingtiger

Lifetime Membership
Jan 28, 2010
Soldotna, AK
I'm not trying to poke holes in everything. I've run Kelsey's products before as well. In general he does good work. His clutch kits are awesome, doo bb's are miles ahead of a stock doo and his head for cats is a work of art. Most of his products speak for themselves and I still recomend his Tortional secondary and head to every cat owner. I've just seen this motor is all. It rode amazing when she was running. Wasn't a turbo, but walked all over the stockers. I'm just very dissapointed in what happened with one of the two kits he has out. 50% is not good odds at all. I just want people to know the whole story. I was absolutely shocked at how he handled the one up here, and was very impressed with the integrity of a2dsledworks in not releasing details in hopes that Kelsey would fix it.

I understand things go wrong in the world of modding machines, but if you put it all back together the same way because it ran good right before it broke it's going to break again

I in no way ment anything doubting your mechanical abilities and my guess is you could ride circles around me, I apologize about my rudeness earlier, am glad you've had good luck with this kit do far , and hope you continue to have a good experience with it. I'm just posting up my experiences with his kit.

Snodawg

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Selah, WA
I personally had about 6 rides on it. The sled had 1400 miles on the BB though?? I think that's what Kelsey said. I bought their personal build since I HAD to have a sled a week after my turbo blew up and I had to know everything was right with it (and I knew they were done riding for the season with the low snow down there).

I bought the sled, had it delivered via a buddy and was back on the snow with I think only one weekend of down time, pretty impressive. I'd had a HORRIBLE season on my turbo so hadn't gotten to ride or get any footage for 509 Films so I pretty much threw my plastics and graphics on this sled, got one weekend in on her and was off the film!!

The first weekend I had her it was a CRAZY hot spring day the air was SUPER heavy and the snow as super wet and heavy. I was running stock clutching since that was what came on the sled and I wasn't impressed with how that worked with the sled. I DEF think there is some power to be realized by getting good secondary load on that motor... We rode some of the nastiest trees around since it was a stubborn buddy of ours on a cat and a BUNCH of Pros (he wanted to prove he M1000 was flickable too! hehehehe). I could tell right off the bat the sled was running rich (which we thought it might since Kelsey is at a higher elevation than I am but..... well.... I'm not gonna lie, I was lazy and I was skert! ;) I came off of an entire season FAWKING with a tune and ended up blowing it up. the last thing I wanted to do on this sled was tune it OR blow it up! I figured rich was good and it was out running the other Pros so I was happy!!!

That being said, yeah, I knew I was leaving power on the table... I had a mad dash of 3 weekends of riding one a filming weekend where I put the 858 up a little chute. I didn't have the time to fine tune the kit or to address some of the stock issues (clutching) with the sled... but like I said, it was STILL out running the stock Pros had decent bottom end (I know that can be cleaned up with tune and clutching) and pulling for days power on top end (which I know can be cleaned up with clutching and made to last longer for some of the longer chutes).

I'm not going to lie to you and go on and on about how amazing it was cause, well, I KNEW I was leaving performance on the table and I'm not the kind of person to be satisfied until I get that performance out of her. BUT she ran SOOOOO solidly and smoothly (even with the rich tune) and she ran MUCH stronger than a stocker, both on bottom and top!

I'm pretty much 99% tree rider myself. I do chutes in the spring just for the film industry. I bought a turbo just for that, realized that wasn't me and am back to my happy place, the big bore. I had a big bore doo before this and LOVED IT for tree riding and the occasional small chute. This sled is the same and will be even better once I clean it up!!! I really can't say enough good things about big bores in general and I've been working with Kelsey's stuff ever since one of my buddies said to give RKTek a try. I've never had a complaint or an issue and the power always reminds me why I love big bores -killer for tree riding and for daily kicking arse kinda riding!!

I'm a little confused here. You say you bought an 860 with 1400 miles on it from RKT? With stock clutching? Doesn't RKT also specialize in clutching? I find it hard to believe you bought a sled with "stock" clutching on an 860 "test mule" from someone that also specializes in clutching. Seems to me they would have already had the cluthces tuned for max performance out of their engine to see what it was capable of. And if your required clutching was different due to elevation etc, I would think they would have switched it up for ya'.
Just thinkin' out loud (sometimes, not a good thing to do):evil:

S
Nov 28, 2007
Spokane, Wa
profile.myspace.com
I'm a little confused here. You say you bought an 860 with 1400 miles on it from RKT? With stock clutching? Doesn't RKT also specialize in clutching? I find it hard to believe you bought a sled with "stock" clutching on an 860 "test mule" from someone that also specializes in clutching. Seems to me they would have already had the cluthces tuned for max performance out of their engine to see what it was capable of. And if your required clutching was different due to elevation etc, I would think they would have switched it up for ya'.
Just thinkin' out loud (sometimes, not a good thing to do):evil:

Part of the purchase agreement was that it didn't come with the Team Tied he was running on it. I told him I was ordering one for myself but didn't get it budgeted until this season. He ran it with a little different set up. Race gas head and tied clutching. I didn't want race gas and didn't want to pay for tied clutch at the time. Just wanted a sled that ran well and didn't break the bank! This year I will put the tied on it and if I start feeling rich maybe I will get a race gas head for it... but right now on a really tight budget...

Snodawg

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Selah, WA
Part of the purchase agreement was that it didn't come with the Team Tied he was running on it. I told him I was ordering one for myself but didn't get it budgeted until this season. He ran it with a little different set up. Race gas head and tied clutching. I didn't want race gas and didn't want to pay for tied clutch at the time. Just wanted a sled that ran well and didn't break the bank! This year I will put the tied on it and if I start feeling rich maybe I will get a race gas head for it... but right now on a really tight budget...

Thanks Skadi for the honest answer. I wasn't trying to be a smart a$$, it just didn't seem to make sense to me. I hope everything comes together for ya, and enjoy that big bore.

T
Nov 27, 2007
Canada
Aren't these a pump gas motor? It would be strange to do all the R&D running race fuel then dial them back for pump gas and go from there for clients? Maybe thats how the doo BB works or why it doesn't for that matter.:jaw:

Premium Features