• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Rk Tek 860 big bore

glassman

Lifetime Membership
Feb 12, 2003
Hinton, Alberta
My main concern about an overbore kit, not anyones in particular, is that if there is already the ocasional motor failure due to the bottom of the cylinder breaking off, Does it make sense to thin that cylinder out even more? Unless there is some sort of redesign or "fix" included, i would be a little leary.

Kelsey seems to deliver a top notch product, and i feel that is why he is a litte hesitant in releasing his kit to the masses until more durability tests are done.

R

RKT

Jul 19, 2001
Preston, Idaho
www.2strokeheads.com
Kelsey..this is between you and the owner..I just happened to be shown this stuff while I was providing a service to him...and was clarifying that it was not a fuel related failure........you are right..it wasnt a catastrophic failure..yet..but it would have been if he had kept running it...........

The owner will not return my phone calls or emails, so there really is no discussion happening..

Since you comment on this thread, why not post some facts about the REAL condition of this engine? and how it did not fail.

With all due respect.. it would NOT have been an catastrophic failure if he had continued to run the engine.. In fact, the engine would run the same as it did when he stopped running it... Based on what I have seen..

AKSNOWRIDER

Lifetime Membership
Dec 25, 2007
anchorage
you sure you really want to go there kelsey?because from what I saw it was going to be a short lived life if it was left running...

R

RKT

Jul 19, 2001
Preston, Idaho
www.2strokeheads.com
My main concern about an overbore kit, not anyones in particular, is that if there is already the ocasional motor failure due to the bottom of the cylinder breaking off, Does it make sense to thin that cylinder out even more? Unless there is some sort of redesign or "fix" included, i would be a little leary.

Kelsey seems to deliver a top notch product, and i feel that is why he is a litte hesitant in releasing his kit to the masses until more durability tests are done.

The person that purchased our 858 (which is different from the one in AK) was asked to send back the engine after the season was over,, and it was send back for inspection and everything looked great! This was after 1400 miles..
We updated some things on the kit and sent it back for this season..
In fact, this sled has been featured at all the 509 shows across the USA..
Very nice sled!!

Having said that, the 858 is a newer offering and does have 1 season on it (the BMP kit has never seen the snow.. just sayn:face-icon-small-ton) so, with any new product, the more time on it, the better we understand it and make improvements (like we have done already).

This season will have many out there (even some turbo'd at 18PSI boost :usa2:)

We will continue to develop new innovative products and make changes and improve the products like we are known for..

We do not offer ANY products to the public until we feel it is ready and proven.. Having said that, the 858 kit is being offered this season.:moony:

I

IQRIDR

Nov 27, 2007
Mountains, Alaska
The owner will not return my phone calls or emails, so there really is no discussion happening..

Since you comment on this thread, why not post some facts about the REAL condition of this engine? and how it did not fail.

With all due respect.. it would NOT have been an catastrophic failure if he had continued to run the engine.. In fact, the engine would run the same as it did when he stopped running it... Based on what I have seen..

Yes I was fed up and busy at the end of last season..we had the biggest snow year in 10 years here last year. So contact had been ceased.

Kelsey's kit ran great when it ran. It obviously has some clearance issues AS IT DID THE FIRST TIME THE MOTOR went down. Those issues should have been addressed the first time but instead I was sold a new piston, told to run the other piston (that I WOULD NOT have run if it had been purely my decision) so I put it all back together, ran it again, it ran good for a few rides (although always did like to get HOT on long pulls...like high coolant temps) and then I tore it down after getting abused by another forum member's mostly stock M8...only to find this

BD4CC64F-6374-4908-8A65-31238141DF37-7967-000006C3102C1EE6.jpg

DC4D8CFA-9E9D-4A8C-B1B9-FE7F93AC5F85-7967-000006C314F6B5F0.jpg

FCC6ECC1-B1ED-4362-A8B4-4BB0520C48F6-7967-000006C49A1A79D4.jpg

9DF81BA9-58A8-4D1B-B93D-47BFC8E2D59A-7967-000006C4A8B974D4.jpg

Basically I think the pistons and ring gap were too tight, explaining the high coolant temps as well. Maybe even part of the reason the rod bearing took a dive after 175 miles or so..increased friction in the cylinder will obviously shorten the life of the rod bearing. Kelsey, you had an opportunity to take the kit back and examine it when the motor went down, instead you sold me the only replacement piston you had and asked me to run it again. Against my gut instinct, that is what I did. It ran decent for a few rides and then I voluntarily dissembled it before Arctic Man after getting waxed by a few stockers in the mountains. I was tired of hearing the excuses and blame being placed on the outfit that chromes your cylinders or my assumed lack of experience or knowledge, I have an extremely busy business to run and I was just over your customer service approach.

I have been refraining from diving into this much in a public forum, it's not good for either of our businesses, but you repeatedly try to distort the facts, forcing my hand...I have exercised an extreme amount of restraint in this area and discussing your kit in general is something I have tried to stay away from. The motor made great power though at first. There is no doubt.

But I keep this paperweight as a reminder since you refused to refund anything for it and I told you I most likely would be purchasing a new shop sled and selling the 2011, leaving us without a sled to even use the kit on, assuming you would have been able to address the issues.

So now it's all out in the open and everyone is free to form their own opinion...let's try to keep this civil though, people, please.

Side note for the mentioning of tuning inability or failure...I have tuned plenty of sleds using the PC5 and my ability, knowledge, and experience in that area would most likely not be questioned by anyone whos sled has been built or tuned by my shop. This was most certainly not my first rodeo and Kelsey provided me with BD box numbers which were translated over for the pc5 and his mapping was quite close.

Sunvang

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2010
Norway
Any changes in the kit for the 2013 engine? Since they have new cylinders?

Any testing done up here in Europe?

A

aebsledder

Jan 16, 2008
Gallatin Valley
It's a...

shame. I can't remember any of these threads in which a manufacturer and a consumer are involved turning out well. Seems like some start out with good intentions, then go in the crapper shortly thereafter. It is hard to judge people by their internet "personalities" but it sure does seem like those involved all tend to have intelligent, thoughtful, posts that have helped me out in one way or another....aaaaahem AK.:face-icon-small-hap Sometimes I wonder if it is even worth it for a manufacturer to have a moniker on snowest? One unhappy customer could spell a significant loss in income from at least a portion of the Snowest market. There was another pretty good thread about suspensions that was started with two manufacturers involved and they managed to keep it to a dull roar for about an entire page before it went downhill..:face-icon-small-sad

MotorMouth

Lifetime Membership
Jan 21, 2012
Gilbertville Iowa
I should be receiving my kit this week. I do intend on running it at 700' elevation on 14 lbs. boost here shortly. The runs will be obviously short, but it should stress it. I hope it holds together.

MotorMouth

Lifetime Membership
Jan 21, 2012
Gilbertville Iowa
I have not received the kit yet as I said, but I have read almost all of the stuff on here and in the turbo section since this last april or so. I am new to a turbo. I did, before talking to Kelsey, have the same opinion as some of you as that of a know it all. I have bought a few sets of heelclicker weights for my less modified sleds and Randy has a similar reputation, which is true. Kelsey, on the other hand, has listened to what I needed the whole way so far and he has explained his theories but he has gracefully listened to my own. I have had success with my D8 running a lower comp. Sean Ray modified head. I have the SLP #4 kit on my D8 with the SLP reflashed box and with the head was able to lean it down by another 12% with a PC5 due to the lower comp. head. I think I could easily lean it down further. In my experience I have gained more by running safely lean than by running a high compression. I did not have much seccess running high compressions on my old PSI "dial a failure" head. Which was also mated to their motors. Please remember I do not make pulls longer than 15 seconds or so and I know that in the deep snow of Cook or Island Park those pulls can last a LOT longer. There can be unique heat damaging saturations with those long pulls I believe, and only a few special people can hold the throttle, in those situations, for that long. I, so far, cannot bad mouth Kelsey as we have gotten along well. I have also dealt with Cory Boston at Next Level Power about turbos and especially my theories of retarding timing with RPM activated modules to achieve higher boost without deto. He is intelligent, and in fact sells Kelseys stuff because he believes in it. I am not an RK Tek cheerleader yet, but so far so good. I know I will run this setup to its MAX and will keep you posted. If the motor fails I will let everyone know and will either get a different or larger one. Here in the midwest all there are is F11 Cats and I want to see a Poo run near one. I doubt this one will, but we'll see.

M8Chris

Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
I think the Midwest guys have faster sleds then everyone in the west....and more money must be those big mountains:)

D8rider

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2008
Kamloops B.C.
So another question is since the cylinder skirt are thin and some engine out there are already had their cylinder skirt broken off. I'm wondering if the big bore would break the skirt sooner than stock? I have over 2000 km on mine and haven't had any issue. Just the thought that's bugging me

G

gman086

Feb 5, 2008
Portland, OR
So another question is since the cylinder skirt are thin and some engine out there are already had their cylinder skirt broken off. I'm wondering if the big bore would break the skirt sooner than stock? I have over 2000 km on mine and haven't had any issue. Just the thought that's bugging me

Actually I had the same concerns and that's how I found out about the '13 cylinders having thicker skirts way back in April (see Kelsey's post confirming that today). My source (obviously accurate) told me not to bother with a BB until the new cylinders were available. Nuff said.

Have FUN!

G MAN

Last edited:
T
Nov 27, 2007
Canada
Looks exactly like my shr 860 I had in my doo. In the end at least bj took it back replated and sent me brand new pistons.

Kelsey is a legend in his own mind, when I called to get domes cut to what I wanted from him it was a big argument and I should have bought his kit and ECM remap blah blah. In the end he still wouldn't make the dome I wanted for sea level.

D8rider

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2008
Kamloops B.C.
So maybe I should wait till I get a 2013 or 14 before I get this bb. I don't want any skirt breaking on me and be done for the winter

I

INDEEP

Nov 26, 2007
Post Falls, ID
Only ones in the midwest with that have that kind of money play alot in that brown/black gold, I call it dirt. LOL

Haha! Sheeze a RKT 860 with a Silber turbo are still cheaper than a HM or Boost it kit. Probably even cheaper than a Boondocker said and done. I think a piston that fits will go a long ways towards the longevity of the 800cfi. Obviously something was off on that kit that went to AK. I'm glad Polaris beefed up the cylinder skirt but it still just makes for a more rigid surface to bounce a piston skirt off of. :face-icon-small-con

S
Nov 28, 2007
Spokane, Wa
profile.myspace.com
Hey! Thanks for the heads up this was going on over here mtn horse! Missed this thread! SpokaneRMK, thanks for chiming in for me...

Yes, I have an RKTek.. Many hours on it, no, unfortunately. I got it at the end of the season but OHHHHH MAAANNN I wish I had had it all season!!! I got about 4 weekends on it before the snow was gone but what I did get on it left me wanting more more more!! The sled was built and tuned for higher elevation and needed a little bit of fine tuning love which I didn't have the time to give to it last season. It's getting it this summer! Clutching really, and I'm going to lean out the bottom end a bit. Pretty easy stuff to do and the power of the sled even without these changes was GREAT!! i could tell it was running rich and leaving some power on the table but I had had a rough season of chasing tunes and just wanted to RIDE! So I pulled the chord and just rode the p!ss outta her! She ran great and ran hard and did NOT disappoint. However, like I said, this year she will be fully awake and I think the fun factor is REALLY going to go through the roof!

I've been a big fan of BBs for a while now. Especially Kelsey's. I think he keeps his machines far enough back from the ragged edge that you don't have to worry about them going down as much as some of the other kits out there. Yes I beef up my maint and do top ends sooner than I would a stocker but a top end is easy and the added power is SOOOOO worth it!

This summer I did a top end on it (since I bought the sled used and already built) just so I knew where things were at.... I plan on putting a Team Tied on it, leaning ot the bottom end a smidge. MAYBE a pipe and can if I want to go for a little cleaner sound.. and RIP IT! I'm really looking fwd to a season of ride ride ride! We ride a lot of tight stuff and I log a lot of weekend miles. I have a demanding day job during the week so I don't have time to work on sleds much during the week and the weekend is important for stress relief! So I need my sled to run and run hard!!

any specific questions??? Oh, when I tore it down all looked good. i sent it in to Kelsey to inspect himself to help with R&D if I could at all but all was good in there and the rebuild process was simple as can be.... I really can't think of much else to sled. Sled rips and build/tune is easy! Right up my alley!!

S
Nov 28, 2007
Spokane, Wa
profile.myspace.com
The person that purchased our 858 (which is different from the one in AK) was asked to send back the engine after the season was over,, and it was send back for inspection and everything looked great! This was after 1400 miles..
We updated some things on the kit and sent it back for this season..
In fact, this sled has been featured at all the 509 shows across the USA..
Very nice sled!!

Kelsey, the sled has been in the XXXModRods booth at the snow shows... Just to clarify... I didn't see this when I posted my response... so yeah, I'm the person who bought the RKTek build late last season...

It's been rebuilt and is at the snow shows in the XXXModRods booth. I'm in the 509 booth for most of the shows if you want to come chat with me about anything.

Premium Features