• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Riding partners.

Sunridge Sledhead

Lifetime Membership
Apr 17, 2002
Star Valley, Wyoming
I'd be careful and give respect right away...

Actually her daughter could kick your azz. And i don't mean the fun kind.

She's in her late 20's, did two tours Afghanistan, captured Sadaam, was a model for Klim, she's a stunt double for the DOS Equis Most Interesting Man In The World dude AND Chuck Norris, invented the Shake Weight (the MEN'S model, not the women's) and she even survived a ride with me into HooDoo Pass.

Scott knows this because she beat the crap out of him, 2-3 times, and left him drooling out of both sides of his mouth, laying next to his sled, on HooDoo.....but, a lot of people have done this to him!

See....Scott in a roadside ditch!
150x112xb13f09fbb98bbca57a317ba69c837392_25532.jpg,qdl=1328680306.pagespeed.ic.jA4ExR7bW6.jpg

Last edited:

vdo1948

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Eastern South Dakota
It's a joke, chill out.

Didn't mean to make you cry.

I know you meant it as a joke. My problem is that I've dealt with way too much of this in the workplace and understand that while you may mean it as a joke, she may not take it as one. And her perception is what counts, not yours. When I started in this sport it was rare to see women and families involved. I'm glad to see so many more women and kids in the sport now and don't want to see the slightly off color 'jokes' drive any of them away.

It was meant as much for all of us males as it was for you specifically.

Peace.

Sunridge Sledhead

Lifetime Membership
Apr 17, 2002
Star Valley, Wyoming
I know you meant it as a joke. My problem is that I've dealt with way too much of this in the workplace and understand that while you may mean it as a joke, she may not take it as one. And her perception is what counts, not yours. When I started in this sport it was rare to see women and families involved. I'm glad to see so many more women and kids in the sport now and don't want to see the slightly off color 'jokes' drive any of them away.

Peace.

Boys....the ladies are here to stay, and a very welcomed addition, making the mountain a better place! ALL manufactures of everything "sled" realize they are the fastest growing segment in the sledding world. Look at all the lady specific stuff coming out! I've ridden with several ladies who absolutely rip! I believe we all need to make sure we pass our passion for sledding onto our kids, as well. The fact that the average sledder's age is 43 is concerning! I realize this is in part due to the cost of the sport, but it is also because too many of us, like myself, have been selfish and not included our kids enough into our riding. No younger generation getting into sledding will mean a slow death to what we know and enjoy today, in all areas...i.e. R&D, land closures, cost, and etc.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
And that was BEFORE she got Saddam.

Scott knows this because she beat the crap out of him, 2-3 times, and left him drooling out of both sides of his mouth, laying next to his sled, on HooDoo.....but, a lot of people have done this to him!

See....Scott in a roadside ditch!
150x112xb13f09fbb98bbca57a317ba69c837392_25532.jpg,qdl=1328680306.pagespeed.ic.jA4ExR7bW6.jpg

C

CoyoteGirl

Nov 26, 2007
Washington
www.brandyfloyd.com
Boys....the ladies are here to stay

Actually, we are taking over! MUUUUUUUUHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHAha. ;)

I have many many different answers to this question. Will try to narrow it down.

On hard days, I want hard riders that are also prepared for whatever might happen in the backcountry. I like riding with rescue type personel, jump in and get 'er done and McGyver types. It is very rare that something doesn't happen on a ride, from flats to the snowpark to busted parts, gear or bodies on the hill. I've been there too many times when the story starts out as "it was just your normal day.. and then...".

On easy days, I want good attitude and effort. I will put up with a ginormous amount of stucks and tree climbing if when I get to you I hear giggles and you are putting effort into getting yourself out of the situation. :face-icon-small-coo

On any day, if you don't have beacon, shovel (on your back), probe and thinking about adding tether and radios to that list.... I don't want to ride with you. :nono:

I think that finding like riding styled partners and like safety minded partners is really what it comes down to in order to optimize your day.

BigT

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Sequim, WA
This is a great topic. I hadn't put much thought into riding partners because mine had always been my Bro and/or my son. Sure we had others in our group often but there was always a comfort knowing that I had their backs and they had mine.
This year that has changed for me (bro sold his sled and is out for a while, son is headed into the Marine's and therefore i don't see spending money on a sled for him right now). After reading through this post it became clear that I had taken some things for granted and I now need to consider these thoughts for myself.

I have ridden with a couple different groups this year (tag along) and I do have to say that I have been very fortunate and pleased. Although it is likely that no one will fill my bro's and son's shoes, the groups that I have tagged along with have had the good attitudes and safety gear. Our riding styles have matched so far as well.

Thanks for the thread--keep it going!

BigT

Hotlips

Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
The tall mountains of north America.

Peace.

Thanks for the support, it is offensive that some people feel its ok to talk like that. I was offended that a sexist comment can creat such a negative feel to a great thread.

All I want to know is what is your riding preferences and why?? It's not a sexist question and doesn't deserve a sexist remark..

K

kbl6z

Mar 8, 2009
auburn,wa
So I am curious.... Why do you choose the person you ride with? I would like some feedback as to why you ride with the same person or maybe you'll ride with anyone... Give me your thoughts. There is no wrong answer here, male, female, likes and dislikes, terrain and style... Anything goes.

Ill pretty much ride with anyone. If there a better rider i can learn something if they are not as experienced i can try and teach them something. As long as im on my sled im happy.

SnowXTC

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Montana
I apologize for my sexiest reply. Hmmmm, NOT! He deserved it and the fact is, it is probably the truth. I have been on here now over 11 years. I am quite used to the sexiest remarks. It is quite a bit cleaner now than it used to be. The forum occasionally had the nickname of SexWest. I still remember the Boring and Porting thread and then the guy replying not realizing that the thread was not actually about boring and porting. Yes, we used to have great fun, but we used to hurt some feelings at times too. Back then, you had to earn respect on here and it was not always easy. BUT, I learned so much. In 1.5 years, I went from how do you get this darn airbox back on to completely rebuilding my sled with a new tunnel and built the way I wanted it. However, I still fought with the stupid Polaris airbox.

This forum is what each of us make it to be. I personally want it to be a place where I can learn about my sled, promote this awesome sport, make a difference in the sledding community, help others to succeed, learn about awesome places to ride, meet some really fantastic people, and have fun.

This is a great thread because many of us do not think about who we ride with and we don't always think about the message we send to others, both in the sledding community (new and old) as well as outside the sledding community. This thread has made me more open to a lot of people. Thank you for posting this.

You are correct, this thread did not warrant a sexiest reply from him, but it is what it is and he is who he is. I think we did a great job policing him on it.

Just to clarify and to explain my reply, I am a woman and I was put off by his remark, which is why I replied back the way I did.

Last edited:

Hotlips

Premium Member
Jan 2, 2008
The tall mountains of north America.
I apologize for my sexiest reply. Hmmmm, NOT! He deserved it and the fact is, it is probably the truth. I have been on here now over 11 years. I am quite used to the sexiest remarks. It is quite a bit cleaner now than it used to be. The forum occasionally had the nickname of SexWest. I still remember the Boring and Porting thread and then the guy replying not realizing that the thread was not actually about boring and porting. Yes, we used to have great fun, but we used to hurt some feelings at times too. Back then, you had to earn respect on here and it was not always easy. BUT, I learned so much. In 1.5 years, I went from how do you get this darn airbox back on to completely rebuilding my sled with a new tunnel and built the way I wanted it. However, I still fought with the stupid Polaris airbox.

I as well have been on this forum for many years and remember the day when there was maybe a handful of women and we took the smack talk... I appreciate the things I have learned through the years from Snowest and the people I have had the opportunity to meet and ride with as well. Being female in a male sport (till we take over) has it's ups and downs and this too shall pass...

I ride with mainly men almost every ride I go on I am challenged to push myself to the next level. This year I have been riding a Nytro with a MCXpress 180 turbo kit and I think I have found my next challenge :face-icon-small-win.. It's awesome for deep and steep but on the days I am in the tree's I keep to my Dragon.. :heart:

The passion I have for this sport is so deep and I see the same in women on this forum....THEY ALL LOVE IT!!!!

Thanks for the great feed backeveryone I look forward every day to seeing all the types of comments here..

C

CoyoteGirl

Nov 26, 2007
Washington
www.brandyfloyd.com
i like taking hot women on rides that never have been. the ones who complain/cry/talkchitliketheyhateit, ill just take them to a nice lookout, with a gorgeous view, and push them over the edge and GTFO of there. ;)

the nice ones who love it, will be coming along more rides till i find "the one" :)

Seriously, anyone read this statement and take it seriously. I barely read it and moved on. It means nothing to me and really shouldn't to anyone else. Other than to him... he posts this kind of silly little stuff to get his much needed (and maybe only?) attention...

very nessecary.

^^ My point exactly. He's totally getting what he needs here, by peeps getting offended and replying.

Thanks for the support, it is offensive that some people feel its ok to talk like that. I was offended that a sexist comment can creat such a negative feel to a great thread.

IMO, it only creats a negativity when we let it. I'm not feeling anything negative right now. The majority of this thread has been fabulous and fabulously engaging. :high5: The other 1% has been not so fabulous and yet it has been engaged too. :nono:

Just to clarify, I am a female rider and this post by this strange dude meant nothing to me. I guess I'm comfortable enough in myself, my skills as a rider, my place in this world as a woman and a woman rider in this industry to not take statements like that in any personal manner... much less let it effect my "feelings" in any fashion.

So, if by chance Mr... what was your name?? You think I'm replying to you? I'm not. I am replying about you hoping others will begin to see right through you and return this thread to it's original scheduled program.

:whip:

SnowXTC

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Montana
Ok, I probably should not have engaged him, even though my reply was funny and most likely true. Then Scott took off and the whole thing got quite engaging. But you have to admit, it has kept the attention on this thread going and added some humor. It has definitely made me think a lot harder about who I choose to ride with.

I did meet a few women this weekend that I would definitely ride with again anytime. They stepped up to the plate, were prepared, and stuck it out. Lets just say we left 2 of the guys sleds in the woods, made it back to the trucks about 11:30, and home about 1:00 am. There was 15 people including a young kid and an older lady. Everyone worked together and although none of us were extremely happy, we did what had to be done to get everyone back to the trucks. For several of us women, there was no husband or bf with us and we really had to rely on each other. I thought a lot about this thread and tried to step up my game so that I could be one of those people that others knew they could count on.

S
Jun 11, 2006
Graham, Wa
looking for attention isnt on my agenda. The so called sexist statemet i made wasnt sexist. it was humor you'd have to visualize i guess? if you saw it in a movie, ( which that sort of humor is all over comedy movies ).... example:

dude takes girl snowmobiling for the first time...
all she does is complain the whole time.
dude gets tired of the complaining....
they go to a lookout....
even though shes very attractive, dude is still temped to give her a shove.
his thoughts over come him, and he realizes he doesnt want to be with a girl that doenst like snowmobiling, and has an attitude to go along with it, and gives her a friendly push, gets on his sled, and hauls butt out of there. most people on here, of they saw that in a movie, not reading about it on a forum where everybody has the right to complain about what color socks someone else is wearing, most would have a smile on their face because of the humor and because it had something to do with snowmobiling.

make sense? i guess i should have worded it differently in the first place, yes?

SnowXTC

Lifetime Membership
Jul 3, 2001
Montana
make sense?

No it does not!! And it is killing me to not further engage this conversation, but out of respect for the other ladies on here I will not, even though it is greatly deserved.

S
Jun 11, 2006
Graham, Wa
No it does not!! And it is killing me to not further engage this conversation, but out of respect for the other ladies on here I will not, even though it is greatly deserved.

so are you saying, that if what i described in post number 75 ( since you only chose to quote 2 words ) was a part in a comedy movie, you would find it to be super offensive, and you would be the type to write a complaint about how the movie is moraly wrong, and sexist?

and tell me... what do you think of your very own snowest administrators post?

http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=301057

is he too disrespectful to women, a sexist, and looking for attention??

are you going to complain about his post too?

or is it okay cause hes older and a snowest administrator ? which one is it?

Last edited:
E

EagleRiverDee

Dec 15, 2009
Eagle River, Alaska
so are you saying, that if what i described in post number 75 ( since you only chose to quote 2 words ) was a part in a comedy movie, you would find it to be super offensive, and you would be the type to write a complaint about how the movie is moraly wrong, and sexist?

and tell me... what do you think of your very own snowest administrators post?

http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?t=301057

is he too disrespectful to women, a sexist, and looking for attention??

are you going to complain about his post too?

or is it okay cause hes older and a snowest administrator ? which one is it?

Oh for pity's sake, that's just grasping at straws. Christopher's post was clearly a joke- the real kind, with a punch line, and wasn't directed at anyone on the forum.

Your post was a sexual innuendo directed at another forum member. That's the difference.

Be a real man and just own your actions without making feeble excuses and finger pointing where it doesn't belong. You're just compounding things.

S
Jun 11, 2006
Graham, Wa
Oh for pity's sake, that's just grasping at straws. Christopher's post was clearly a joke- the real kind, with a punch line, and wasn't directed at anyone on the forum.

Your post was a sexual innuendo directed at another forum member. That's the difference.

Be a real man and just own your actions without making feeble excuses and finger pointing where it doesn't belong. You're just compounding things.

uhm.... what forum member was i directing what to? explain intricately please...

Premium Features