• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

P-22 Removal Question

FriscoProx

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
Got my first Boost ('23 carryover) a few weeks ago. I just ordered a EPI PCP-24 puller for the P-22 and getting a P-85 put together to replace it.

Can you remove the whole clutch with the P-22 puller or do you need to remove the cover and moveable shealth before using the puller just on the inner sheath?

And can see why the P-22's are grenading with all the loading on the just clutch bolt, unlike the threaded spider on the P-85. What a crazy design.

RBalazs

Snowest Terminator
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 20, 2020
I think you’re supposed to just run your sled until it automatically flies off and then you can put your P85 on there…😂

I know, I’m sorry it’s a terrible joke and just had to say it because I’ve got a 25 Boost Snowchecked and I’m too really hoping they’ve got it all fixed.

FriscoProx

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
I got 1/4 turn re-torquing the P-22 to 110lb after 1st ride. Not surprising that these things are flying off!

RBalazs

Snowest Terminator
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 20, 2020
I got 1/4 turn re-torquing the P-22 to 110lb after 1st ride. Not surprising that these things are flying off!
I bet, and I hear lapping the end of the crank helps also. Definitely can’t hurt. I guess Patricks is sending out lapping compound with every clutch that they balance.

carbontj

Premium Member
Aug 21, 2012
indianapolis
You will need to remove the cover spring and the cover guide, black sleeve...twist that out then use the P22 clutch puller bolt...wont take much. Yes lapping does help and torque to 140 ftlbs.

rulonjj

Lifetime Membership
Apr 15, 2008
capitol town, WY
I tried to remove my p22 to lap it…as hard as I could go with a 3’ breaker bar and it wouldn’t break loose, so just put the stock bolt back in at 140 ftlbs.

A
Nov 26, 2007
Elko, NV.
The “Grease Method” is sweet when done properly. Fill with grease, wrap a round or two of electrical tape on puller threads, insert puller and start cranking it in. The clutch usually pops off before the end of the puller ever touches the crank.

RBalazs

Snowest Terminator
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 20, 2020
The “Grease Method” is sweet when done properly. Fill with grease, wrap a round or two of electrical tape on puller threads, insert puller and start cranking it in. The clutch usually pops off before the end of the puller ever touches the crank.
Yup or water. Pick your poison👍🏻

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Tap the side of the head on the puller, not the end. Remember I said tap!!! Should pop.
I've been doing that for a while now when the clutch doesn't pop easily. Like you said, tap it - all you're doing is introducing some vibration. I'm sure someone's damaged crank bearings by whacking the puller like they're trying to drive a railroad spike... I'll also add that tapping up and down the shaft of the puller sometimes helps.

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
Grease not only makes a mess, believe it or not, we swelled the stationary on the old 800 clutch. Remember those.
We have used rubbing alcohol instead of water. Dissipates fast.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Grease not only makes a mess, believe it or not, we swelled the stationary on the old 800 clutch. Remember those.
We have used rubbing alcohol instead of water. Dissipates fast.
Pressure is pressure so how did the grease cause the stationary to swell when the same pressure with alcohol or water wouldn't? Or am I miss-understanding?

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
Pressure is not pressure when different compounds are involved.
Throw water in your hydraulic reservoir…..
Run power steering fluid in your truck brake system.
You’ll be surprised.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Pressure is not pressure when different compounds are involved.
Throw water in your hydraulic reservoir…..
Run power steering fluid in your truck brake system.
You’ll be surprised.
Now you are talking viscosity, lubricity and sealing potential. I am saying if a clutch pops off at 1000 psi it will do it with water, air, oil, grease or anything that can be pressed to that pressure. Sure grease is easier to seal than water or air but in this case that is all it does better.

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
Not true.
None of those will perform the same function of pressure.

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Not true.
None of those will perform the same function of pressure.
Please educate us then. Give us the math to show how different liquids react to static pressure differently when temperature, is not introduced. Even gases, although compressible will rise in pressure if they are pressed adequately. Liquids are generally accepted as non-compressible. In the simple act of popping a clutch off we are not relying on lubricity, viscosity etc.

Premium Features