• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Northern Rockies Protection Act at it again and this time it WILL PASS

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I didn't get to hear the end of the Wyo reps questioning about the wilderness and roads in Central Park.

I could see where she was going and sensed that Maloney was blindly falling into a huge trap. How did she finish up?

M

MTdream

Nov 28, 2007
the Forest Service and the BLM guys all say it shoudl not be enacted...

M

MTdream

Nov 28, 2007
I didn't get to hear the end of the Wyo reps questioning about the wilderness and roads in Central Park.

I could see where she was going and sensed that Maloney was blindly falling into a huge trap. How did she finish up?

she did a great job, and is doing a great job again...

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Yeah, the Sublet Co. Commisioner from Wyo mentioned sledding.

And that was WELL done.

Last edited:

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Who is THIS guy right now?

We are NOT going to name a mountain after Maloney. NO F'n WAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

S
Apr 10, 2008
Sheridan, WY
Last edited:

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
When Carol King testified that she actually DOES own a sled but we need more wilderness and blah blah blah...I wish I could have overridden her testimony.
Lyin hatchet wound.

HAHA

Where in the testimony does it quote her saying that...I don't find it in her testimony link.

F
Feb 25, 2003
New Meadows Idaho
I watched most of it and I thought we did quite well. Carol King what a twit, can someone take her away she's been nothing but a pain in the arse form the time she landed in Idaho. How about Judy Bolye and the Commissioner from Sublett County those are true Americans. Got to say I told you so County Commissioners are our best bet in these fights and the most available to us commoneners. Love the commenet from the Rep from Utah to the Lady in the yellow dress (what a gal) surounded by the Enviros " your bright yellow outfit is a ray of sunshine against all the DRAB colors around you" I though Maloney got a good bashing from the committe as well as those on our side. Keep the fire stoked and lets support our brothers and sisters to the North there in the same world of hurt. We need a North America alliance to battle these whack jobs!!!!

kiliki

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2008
Nampa, Idaho
http://www.idahostatesman.com/newsupdates/story/758758.html

Per the article, looks like Simpson does not support NREPA. This is the letter (see below) a bunch of us have been sending to our reps. I spoke with Minnick's Office Monday and he does not support NREPA.

Also, if you have concerns about the White Cloud (CIEDRA) bill you need to contact Simpson's Office and talk with them. I understand they are open for questions and are happy to answer any questions a constituent may have. We plan on contacting them tomorrow (if the other half can stay home from ridin' :p)

http://www.house.gov/simpson/contact.shtml

Dear Representative ______:
I am writing in response to the Northern Rockies Ecosystem Protection Act (NREPA H.R. 980) to voice my opposition to this bill and ask you to vote against the bill. As an Idaho resident, many of the factors in this bill concern me. I am concerned because of the 50 cosponsors of the bill, not one of them resides in any of the states this bill would affect. I am concerned this bill is too broad as it seeks to add thousands of acres to already large wilderness areas throughout Montana, Wyoming and Idaho. I am concerned this bill will diminish the economic vitality many small towns rely on to support their livelihood. In addition, I am concerned this bill would eliminate access to the backcountry and rivers I enjoy for recreational and vacationing purposes.
Idaho is a wonderful state. It has many recreational opportunities to offer to its residents and any of those lucky enough to play in its borders. However, this bill will eliminate access to many of these areas. The typical sportsman (fishermen, snowmobilers, ATV riders, rafters, et cetera) are responsible individuals who respect the areas in which they enjoy these activities. We understand Idaho is truly a gem and we must take care of our state for future generations. With this being said, Idaho is capable of taking care of its wilderness areas and forests through its own management. Our state legislature is very capable of managing our lands in a way that increases prosperity to small communities and saves our lands for future generations to appreciate. We are capable of the management necessary to sustain our wildlife corridors and ecosystem without the watchful eye of the federal government. Too often individuals who do not understand the intricacies of state politics try to get involved and the result is devastating. Prohibiting logging, mining and other activities severely decreases many Idaho residents the ability to make a living. Logging and mining, if done in a responsible manner can positively impact the environment. For example, by harvesting timber, we are able to provide jobs to residents and decrease the intensity of major forest fires. We are also able to thin the woods to allow lower vegetation to receive sunlight and flourish.
As mentioned previously, the decrease in economic vitality for many small towns would severely diminish with the approval of this bill. Limiting access and economic opportunity is not the answer to saving our ecosystem. Rather, we must focus on intelligent management that can typically only be done through state oversight. Please continue to support our access to public lands and vote no on NREPA H.R. 980.

Sincerely,

At the moment the House Committee Hearing that was just held is all that is on immediate horizon. The committee must then promote the bill for a full House vote. If they did, and it passed in the full House, then the exact same bill must pass in the Senate. Then it must be signed by the President.

We are a long way from that reality, but with this Congress, we are about the closest that we have ever been for this terrible bill to pass into law.

Premium Features