• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New Ascender Platform and 800 Ctec!

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
It looks like a ball from the front
d2a06f2a4c6864bce2858f7cb3dc873a.jpg

GS6

S
Nov 26, 2007
utah
some color options :face-icon-small-hap, the rest of the sled seems to hit the points we were looking forward to, if not completely, at least a better place to start customizing.....but, THE point is the dependability/output/rideability of the engine...looking forward to more input about engine and some real life comparisons with the competition....:face-icon-small-ton....so eric, i'm assuming you could add a little here..

Last edited:

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
All I can say for a few days is this......output and rideability of the new engine will be on point.

Reliability should be, this engine has been under testing for a while. We all know how that goes. Reliability is proven or earned, so we won't have solid data on that for a bit.

03Firecatguy

Mar 12, 2011
Aberdeen SD
All I can say for a few days is this......output and rideability of the new engine will be on point.

Reliability should be, this engine has been under testing for a while. We all know how that goes. Reliability is proven or earned, so we won't have solid data on that for a bit.

You bring excitement and are a complete buzz kill at the same time!

That BDX front end should have been available last fall! Have to weigh options after the big reveal between getting rid of MC for an 18 or doing that front end.

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
So here's some of the spec's:

13lbs lighter than the 17

Tank is 5lbs lighter with increased storage for the non estart models

Aluminum drive shaft is 3lbs lighter

Hollow jackshaft is 2.25 lighter

New brake caliper, disc and pads is 1.3lbs lighter

Bodywork is 1lb lighter

Composite steering support is .5lb lighter

Bodywork is 3 inches narrower

Early release models will be available in limited numbers after Feb 1.

All sounds awesome and can't wait to check out the new motor! The etec was what I loved most about my XM, quiet, smooth, could run the thing in the shop and almost no smoke. Looking forward to this with the new Cat. The early release means we will be able to get some real world riding done before most people either snowcheck or purchase one next season. Can't wait to hear how it does up on the hill against the Gen4 and Axys...

Last edited:
I
Sep 23, 2016

I see warranty issues before production lol and if they hold...I wonder how much EXTRA power the will hold...man

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city

I see warranty issues before production lol and if they hold...I wonder how much EXTRA power the will hold...man

Why? Nothing different any of the other manufacturers havent been doing for years.

On a different note. Over 30% more low end power should make for a killer boondocking turbo

Old Scud-doo

Premium Member
Dec 28, 2007
Middle Montana
So here's some of the spec's:

13lbs lighter than the 17

Tank is 5lbs lighter with increased storage for the non estart models

New brake caliper, disc and pads is 1.3lbs lighter

Bodywork is 1lb lighter

Composite steering support is .5lb lighter

Bodywork is 3 inches narrower

Early release models will be available in limited numbers after Feb 1.

All sounds awesome and can't wait to check out the new motor! The etec was what I loved most about my XM, quiet, smooth, could run the thing in the shop and almost no smoke. Looking forward to this with the new Cat. The early release means we will be able to get some real world riding done before most people either snowcheck or purchase one next season. Can't wait to hear how it does up on the hill against the Gen4 and Axys...

Which will have me paying close attention...either checking an 850 or a new Cat for next year. That is so cool that Cat is mid season sneak releasing this sled. With the 850 pulling #notmybelt and #notmybulkhead hash tags all season I want to see what happens on the snow with a real sled before I commit.

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
Why? Nothing different any of the other manufacturers havent been doing for years.

Because it just took last year to come out with a jackshaft that doesn't break?

And with a dropped case and bigger drivers, that drive shaft is a whole lot more likely to kiss some rocks. Kinda of a sketchy place to save weight IMO, especially with aluminum. The other improvements are enough. These are a potential Achilles heal.

And using skidoo or Polaris as examples of structural integrity right now is kind of silly.;)

Last edited:

89sandman

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2004
southern oregon
Everyone cries they want it lighter then cry when they make it that way. The weight has to come from somewhere, gonna be a compromise somewhere if you want lighter weight. The industry does pay attention to it's mistakes and improves upon designs and manufacturing processes. I would rather them take weight from ANYWHERE but the most expensive part, the motor.

Last edited:

kidwoo

Lifetime Membership
Dec 28, 2008
5.25 lbs isn't going to change a purchasing decision for me.

Compromised structural components will, especially in the drivetrain.
If I was truly weight obsessed, I wouldn't own a cat. I'd have a Polaris.

But hey, none of us know. I hope my fears are unfounded.

Last edited:

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
What a great move by AC to get some of these on the snow early. It's a gamble, but if you have confidence in the product why not. Feedback from consumers vs paid sponsors will be awesome. Feedback on production models vs hopped up demos win win. Full on thrashing of the machines by buyers vs a one or two hour demo ride on a machine you're worried about crashing, killer.

Premium Features