• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

My "prolite" build and review

B

bradburck

Jan 13, 2008
Colorado
To preface this review I've spent the past 3 seasons on an m series pump gas turbo at 8-10 lbs with basically everything done to it but race fuel. Had an EZ Ryde, the 2.6 powerclaw, etc etc etc.

I have spent several full days of riding also the pro RMK in various forms, stock, SLP stage 3. These are FULL days of riding, not just swap time with a buddy. I've also done swap time on the XM as well and time on a stock Pro-climb.

First of all my sled started it's life as a stock 12 162" sno-pro. Previous owner had Vohk install a speedwerx 925 using the stock pipe and speedwerx silencer. I have since added:

- BDX cold air with headlight delete
- Skinz Rasmussen Air frames with plastics pulled in
- 19/50 gearing
- updated secondary
- BDX front end
- Gripper skis
- 3” camo extreme
- HCR post- 2 in riser
- Trail Tank
- WRP low rise seat
- BDX Oil Delete

Weight I’ve roughly saved- I weighed nothing on my own. a regret for sure.

BDX Kit- 5 lbs
Seat- 4 lbs
Tank- 5 lbs
Rear skid- 2 lbs
Headlight delete 10 lbs
Motor- 20 lbs
Oil delete 10 lbs

Roughly a total of around 56 lbs, give or take. Here are my thoughts to this point with two early season rides, one at buff pass in spring-ish conditions with no base and two days at wolf creek in solid snow conditions. For knowledge sake I'm 6'2" and 230.

1. Power is there man, it's bottom end is really solid. Doesn't have the top end pull of the turbo that's for sure and I was out climbed by a race gas pro at 12,000 feet (which is to be expected, didn't think I would hang with him) but was awesome to be back on a sled with snap at the bottom end. That makes tree riding easier then ever which is where we spend 90% of our time.

2. Air frames are amazing, best upgrade yet, holds much less snow then both the pro and the XM

3. BDX front end seems really nice man. Don't have much seat time to compare too obviously, but the BDX with the gripper skis kept the front end up and worked very well together.

4. Trail tank is amazing man, fuel economy was basically the same between myself and a 13 Pro Stage 3 on Friday, not sure on Sat yet, but it's been awesome not to have to pack fuel in.

5. I just put a lower riser on it, from 4.5 in down to 2 in, and I think that will help as well, bars where too tall, even for me, difficult when the downhill ski was away from me.
6. I'm still playing with the rear skid to find out what works best all around, but it gets plenty of traction now that's for sure. The 3" makes a big difference on that front, wants to work its way uphill a lot which is taking a bit of getting used too.. I got stuck probably 6-8 times on Friday and then only once Sat that required someone else's help. Getting used to the chassis I think is making a big big difference. Right now I am running with the 13 front skid location and the bottom hole in the rear. Changed that this week to the top hole on the rear bracket, as I think there was a bit too much ski pressure. I've been running 45-50 lbs of air in the front end with the longer shocks and 130 lbs in the rear.

7. The motor and track combination allow me to ride a bit slower when needed, while the rear skid (while not an ez ryde) gives me the confidence to push the sled when I need too as well.

8. Chassis is just superior to the M series. Got back on an m series turbo at one point during the day and it just felt like a tank. The new chassis "feels" more nimble and responsive that is for sure. (just couldn't bring myself to use the F word there)

9. Obviously nothing that points the sleds ability to ride on edge in the trees, but smoked an SLP XM and a stage 3 Pro in a race on the way home the other day. Guess it just means that the 925 is running well enough to walk away from those two sleds.

Otherwise, need to get a couple more things figured out, mainly rear skid and clutching stuff. I don't think the chassis is what the pro is, but I think the overall package is probably as good or better. Sled seemed to roll up on its side almost too easy at times, causing too much wash on steep side-hills.
I've got another 10-15 lbs I can loose off the sled in the next 1-2 years as well (sled budget is gone this year). it is rock solid. My clutches where running cooler then an XM's all weekend long as well which is a comforting thought. It's going to be a solid sled.
I'm also very curious to weight them up with a buddies scales and see how close i am to the Pro's, bet it's pretty close, within 20-30 lbs.

Overall I'm very pleased with the sled at this point, I know there is more left on the table with clutching and that is the next area I am going to apply my focus. I have been working with IZZNI here on the forum with his gauge reflash and that is making a HUGE difference for me in tuning this sled, as it allows the stock gauge to record data that I can then play back. It allows me to make a line in the trees, record RPM, etc. come back down and then log that information into my phone, such as elevation, snow conditions, etc. Definitely changing the way we are tuning and clutching sleds. Nothing like real world data to drive change.

There is also another few pounds to loose there and a few more ponies to gain. Jeremy at Speedwerx has been helpful as I've had questions along the way, can't say the same for the dealer who built the sled originally. The Pro is still a superior chassis in the technical terrain, but not by much. Overall the motor, overall ride quality is better then the pro, which I think makes the two a choice of favorites. As has been said many times before, a pro chassis with a suzk motor and a 3" in it would be a difficult package to beat, until then, I'm staying on the cat. I'd be happy to give any feedback to help if you boys have any questions. Amazing sled for sure and if anyone in WY, ID or MT wants to have a chance to ride it, take me and my boys to your secret spots March 29-April 5 when we're taking a spring break trip, I'd be happy to allow test rides! I'll post up some pics perhaps tonight as well.

Last edited:

bopper

Premium Member
Apr 28, 2008
elkford,bc
sounds good! u don't hear or too many guys running speedwerx big bores always seems it rk or cutler and a few bikeman! good to hear of something different!

Sled208

Lifetime Membership
Sep 13, 2010
A short cooler would be a relatively inexpensive weight drop:face-icon-small-hap

B

bradburck

Jan 13, 2008
Colorado
Yeah I know it is, thought about it for a minute, but with the air frames, snow build up wasn't as much of an issue. Plus if I do that, I'll have to convince the wife i need a carbon fiber back 1/2.... Maybe this summer when i pull everything back down again to powdercoat before next season.. unless of course a sled comes along for a new project I can't pass up.....:face-icon-small-ton

Last edited:
S

SSWIM

Nov 19, 2001
Grand Junction, Colorado
I don't know if people really realize the snow and ice build up that takes place. I thought it was minimal when I first heard the Cat claims of this. After riding my 14 Cat a few times, and comparing it to the Polaris, it really is a BIG difference. The Cat stays clean. Would have never put that much stock in it had I not seen it. BTW, I have 2 Polaris Pros also, so I try to think I am not biased.

Sam

Last edited:
B

bradburck

Jan 13, 2008
Colorado
Between the air frames and I wrapped the tunnel, both the sides and the top, as well so the snow build up is SIGNIFICANTLY less then both the pro and the XM I ride with day to day. HUGE difference for sure. Sam we would love to have you show us around the mesa sometime, one area here in CO we aren't very familiar with.

B

bradburck

Jan 13, 2008
Colorado
2 more days on really great snow over the weekend in Steamboat Lake. Just a '13 stage 3 pro and myself the entire time in nothing but treed terrain. I can say that I'm getting more comfortable on the sled and haven't had any issues. Fought a bit of an electrical gremlin on day two, but it is isolated to the tether. Clutching has been great to this point, still running a nice even temperature. The 3" is a beast, just keep churning and digging. I've also enjoyed the grippers, much more float coming off throttle, keeping the nose up.

I think I am almost to a point where I can comfortably say that this sled, with another 10-15 lbs off it would be basically as "flickable" as the pro. It will obviously out climb the pro in a straight climb, even with a rider who is 60 lbs less then myself, but that wasn't the goal of the build.

The snow conditions allowed for the shake maneuver to basically get us unstuck in all situations and the sled just continues to impress me. Just a much better tree riding sled then a my m series turbo at 9 lbs. Next step is using the SLP cable to move the intake sensor. Sled is constantly reading 70-90 degrees intake temp, thus throwing off the ECU helping to compensate. Should be a bit more snappy with it moved into the BDX intake area, we shall see. Also ran the 084 this trip and couldn't tell much of a difference between that and the 083. I think I actually prefer the 083, seemed a bit "stickier" for mid range blips in the trees. Sleds where run REALLY hard both days and neither missed a beat. I think a guy would be very happy with either sled, trying to convince my buddy to do an 858 build so we can get more a real world comparison. VERY happy at this point. BDX front end took a couple of decent shots and isn't showing any worse for wear. Keep enjoying the snow fellas, nothing to see here in CO.....

B

bradburck

Jan 13, 2008
Colorado
Been playing with suspension settings a bit and am really happy with where i am right now...

Fronts are both running about 45-50 lbs of pressure, have the longer 17.5 shocks on the BDX kit and haven't had a lick of issues, soft enough to help initiate roll over, but with enough pressure to handle the bigger hits, I keep telling myself I want to up the pressure, but it's handled SO well so far I'm not going to mess with it. Thanks to Kaleb, didn't put the spacer in and I'm glad I didn't, like the longer stroke of the shock with less pressure in it.

Rear front-
13 hole location
middle hole on the limiters
roughly 5 turns up on the preload

Rear rear-
Upper 12' hole
125 lbs of pressure
Track is tight

Been running the pressure last week a touch lower (115 lbs), but when full of 14 gallons of fuel, puts a bit too much sag in the skid, so bumped the pressure back up. Ran the first weekend at 145 lbs and it was WAY too much and made getting on edge more difficult.

Been pulling up out of the snow really well and hasn't been trenching like a mother with this set-up so far and have lots of time in deep deep stuff. Still doesn't "pop" like the pro, but it's darn close. Pulls the skis, but doesn't just have them in the air the entire time, while that is fun, it really defeats the purpose of the build of this sled and the way my group rides. Get a really good feel again this weekend as rabbit ears has just been DUMPED on the past week and riding with 2 '13 pros and a 13 xm as usual. Going to get the Pro guys on the prolite to get their feedback as well. More reports to follow... anyone wanna sponsor a belt drive for me?? HAHAHA

Last edited:

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
How much do you weigh all suited up? Your air pressures are so much lighter then what I'm running. Sounds like lower pressure works with the rear in the upper hole. How does it hold in a sidehill?Thanks for posting up your findings, very helpfull hearing what works for others

B

bradburck

Jan 13, 2008
Colorado
Suited up I'm not sure.. not much more then out of the shower.. I don't ride with a pack. I'm 225 out of the shower, I would imagine 235 geared up. Sled has all my gear on it. I would've thought the same exact thing as well and ran 140-145 lbs of pressure on my m series in the past. At 125 lbs of pressure, full of fuel and all my gear in the tunnel bag, sled sags about 1.5-2". Gets up on edge and I think the lower pressure allows the float to work more as a shock then a pogo stick. Soft at the beginning and then stiffer towards the end of the stroke, giving it more of a spring'd shock feel. I've run both and agree that a good set of exit's or I'm sure raptor's (having never run the raptors) are superior shocks, but the goal was light weight on this build and the floats fit that bill nicely.

I've been very impressed with this set-up.. much better then the stock 13' proclimb we've got as a back up sled, helps that mine is 40+ lbs lighter. I think it holds a side hill VERY well, I would say once on edge almost as well as the pro. I would say the biggest advantage of the pro has is its ability to get up and out of the snow more consistently then the PC. We see it every weekend and have every sled in our group. No matter who is on the pro, 160-225 lbs guys with all similar abilities, the riders on the pro are stuck less often and have to put less effort into riding.

I will hopefully have this sled on scales this weekend to get a true and accurate measure.

Few pics of how she sits in the garage right now. Still have a few changes to make and it will be getting a belt drive someday down the road.

prolite1.jpg prolite2.jpg prolite3.jpg prolite5.jpg prolite6.jpg

Last edited:
C
Feb 5, 2010
Norway
Does the sled draw enough air from just the hood and front of the hood?
I see you have used the holes for the frogskin on the console for 12V and the key.
Would it not be best to keep the openings there for frogskinz and have the 12V og key for another place on the console? :)

B

bradburck

Jan 13, 2008
Colorado
Well.... final ride report for this guy....

Just spent 6 straight days riding just amazing snow here in Colorado AGAIN. 2 days at the ears, and then 4 more at Steamboat Lake (Hahn's Peak). Sled ran amazing all week outside of a damn broken pull rope... gotta get that buttoned up before next year.

Rode the entire time with 12'-14' model year pro's in various states, from stock to stage 3 and 155 and 163's. This big bore, weight loss combo just flat our WORKS. Adjusted a bit for what I thought was going to be spring type conditions, let limiters all the way out, upped pressure in the rear to 130 and the front floats to 45 lbs. Also worked on sealing up the panels to the hood to prevent snow ingestion. Rode in fresh everyday of the trip with Wednesday being the deepest at over 2 ft in the trees.

Ride quality is still second to none on the way in and out. The sled just flat our works in the bumps on the way to the deep. Not the most important feature, but certainly important.

The 925 + 3" combo just works so damn well in the trees it's silly. I was pulling up stuff, even in the fresh, at 2/3-3/4 throttle that the 155 stage 3 I was with was WFO. Another amazing part is with the weight off the sled it pulls itself up on top of the snow very well. The limiter's all the way out definitely cause it to trench more then up one notch and it carried the ski's in more situations then I'd like.

Fit and finish- with the bottom panels pulled in, its just terrible fit and finish on the top of where the side panels meet the hood. I have temporarily solved this by removing the middle screw for the hood attachment and drilling a small hole in the side panel and then screwing down through the panel into the hood for a better attachment. This allows me to suck them together tightly and prevents 95% of all snow come getting in.

I have really enjoyed the lower bars as well, it is much lower then a comparable pro, but makes it so easy to roll on it's side in the woods. It is very low for the trail in and out, but much better for the back country IMO.

Lastly is the track, it's a digging son of a bitch. Digs a HUGE hole and just grabs. You have to ride the 3" different, as it doesn't spin like anything else I've ridden. You need to plan ahead as it grabs and propels you forward. This has to be accounted for on both one ski and two skis. It is almost dangerous on one ski, as it makes you get the sled on edge quickly cause you can't spin the track and dig in an edge.

I've had great luck with several items that I would buy again FOR SURE
- BDX front end- I know other people have been bending spindles, but mine has been amazing all winter long.
- Air frames- I don't even want to imagine ever being on another sled without something this good. They just flat our work and have been bullet proof.
- Trail tank- I didn't worry one time all winter about fuel and I never had to carry it with me. One of the things I HATED the most about my turbo is always carrying fuel everywhere and every time. Never got close to running out once. I ran out of fuel before the sled.
- Big bore- after coming off the turbo for the past 3 years it was really fun to be back on the quick revving, high torque of the big bore. Super fun, pull the rope and go. Didn't explode a belt the entire season, and only went through one that was caused when I got stuck in a creek and we had to smoke it cause it was so buried in order to get out.

Overall I couldn't be happier with the sled, Jeremy has been very helpful and I'd love to see this sled on another 15-20 lbs diet, that would make for a serious back country weapon for sure. Enjoy the rest of the season boys, time to finish the basement!

Keith517

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Well.... final ride report for this guy....

Just spent 6 straight days riding just amazing snow here in Colorado AGAIN. 2 days at the ears, and then 4 more at Steamboat Lake (Hahn's Peak). Sled ran amazing all week outside of a damn broken pull rope... gotta get that buttoned up before next year.

Rode the entire time with 12'-14' model year pro's in various states, from stock to stage 3 and 155 and 163's. This big bore, weight loss combo just flat our WORKS. Adjusted a bit for what I thought was going to be spring type conditions, let limiters all the way out, upped pressure in the rear to 130 and the front floats to 45 lbs. Also worked on sealing up the panels to the hood to prevent snow ingestion. Rode in fresh everyday of the trip with Wednesday being the deepest at over 2 ft in the trees.

Ride quality is still second to none on the way in and out. The sled just flat our works in the bumps on the way to the deep. Not the most important feature, but certainly important.

The 925 + 3" combo just works so damn well in the trees it's silly. I was pulling up stuff, even in the fresh, at 2/3-3/4 throttle that the 155 stage 3 I was with was WFO. Another amazing part is with the weight off the sled it pulls itself up on top of the snow very well. The limiter's all the way out definitely cause it to trench more then up one notch and it carried the ski's in more situations then I'd like.

Fit and finish- with the bottom panels pulled in, its just terrible fit and finish on the top of where the side panels meet the hood. I have temporarily solved this by removing the middle screw for the hood attachment and drilling a small hole in the side panel and then screwing down through the panel into the hood for a better attachment. This allows me to suck them together tightly and prevents 95% of all snow come getting in.

I have really enjoyed the lower bars as well, it is much lower then a comparable pro, but makes it so easy to roll on it's side in the woods. It is very low for the trail in and out, but much better for the back country IMO.

Lastly is the track, it's a digging son of a bitch. Digs a HUGE hole and just grabs. You have to ride the 3" different, as it doesn't spin like anything else I've ridden. You need to plan ahead as it grabs and propels you forward. This has to be accounted for on both one ski and two skis. It is almost dangerous on one ski, as it makes you get the sled on edge quickly cause you can't spin the track and dig in an edge.

I've had great luck with several items that I would buy again FOR SURE
- BDX front end- I know other people have been bending spindles, but mine has been amazing all winter long.
- Air frames- I don't even want to imagine ever being on another sled without something this good. They just flat our work and have been bullet proof.
- Trail tank- I didn't worry one time all winter about fuel and I never had to carry it with me. One of the things I HATED the most about my turbo is always carrying fuel everywhere and every time. Never got close to running out once. I ran out of fuel before the sled.
- Big bore- after coming off the turbo for the past 3 years it was really fun to be back on the quick revving, high torque of the big bore. Super fun, pull the rope and go. Didn't explode a belt the entire season, and only went through one that was caused when I got stuck in a creek and we had to smoke it cause it was so buried in order to get out.

Overall I couldn't be happier with the sled, Jeremy has been very helpful and I'd love to see this sled on another 15-20 lbs diet, that would make for a serious back country weapon for sure. Enjoy the rest of the season boys, time to finish the basement!

Did you end up running the 83 belt or the 84?

B

bradburck

Jan 13, 2008
Colorado
Ran both during the season but I can say I honestly prefer the 083 for sure. Seems stickier then the 084 and gives me the few rs I need up top when we get above 10k feet.

jbusch

Premium Member
Feb 10, 2009
To do the 3 inch track did you change the drivers?

Sent from my SGH-M919 using Tapatalk

B

bradburck

Jan 13, 2008
Colorado
I stayed stock drivers. At first I was nervous and ran the track very tight. Towards the end of the season I loosened the it up and it was that MUCH better. I ran the anti-stab and just ran it man. No worries on my end. Getting it back out might be a pain in the *** though.

CO 2.0

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Fort Collins, CO
Depends on what ski rubbers you use. 14s are bigger. Different nubs on the bottom of the rubber need to be cut off depending. Upper raised edge might also need trimmed depending off if using bdx front end

Premium Features