• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Mechanical reverse questions

S
Jan 15, 2014
Hello Polaris gurus kind of a long question....

I recently acquired two 2001 RMK700s. I swapped into one of these 01 sleds a complete mechanical reverse which I removed from a 1999 RMK700 that I bought cheap (bad engine) and had reverse. The install went smoothly and is working well. So I'm fairly familiar with how these reverse systems works and what it takes to install them etc..

I'm now wanting to install reverse in the other sled and am probably going to buy a complete used reverse assembly on ebay (or Als snowmobile, etc). The issue I'm having is none of the complete assemblies I see have the proper gearing and it's not clear to me what gear type is needed. The stock (non-reverse) chain and gears in my 2001 sled are Hyvo (I believe that is what they came with anyway). Will my upper 19T gear work with the reverse chains that were offered of that era? In general I should only have to replace the upper small gear, I can generally find complete reverse assemblies that come with lower (large) gears that would work.

Most of the sites like Babbits that have exploded views of all the parts don't show the optional reverse assemblies of sleds of that era so it's hard to determine what parts are what.

For Example, right now I'm looking at an used reverse assembly from a 99 XC500 that has 22/41 gears. I know this assembly would fit, the chain cases are the same, but I would want a 20 tooth upper gear to give me the correct gearing and I'm not sure what 20T gear I would need? I could probably also use a 19 or 21, but 20 would probably be ideal.

I don't want to buy this used reverse assembly and then find that 20T gears that are a correct fit for this reverse chain are impossible to find. I'm also not sure about the chain length being an issue with a change in gearing? Again, finding information regarding the specifics in these optional reverse setups has proven challenging.

In anyone could shed some insight on what chains and gears, and what is an isn't interchangeable it would be greatly appreciated! I understand the bottom gears are not at all interchangeable between reverse and non-reverse setups. The bottom gears with reverse have the reverse "cogs" and standard bottom gears do not. My question is more about the chains and upper gears.

Thanks!

H
Nov 26, 2007
Top gears and chains are the standard issue parts. Only the bottom gear assembly and the middle gear are specific for mechanical reverse. The chain length depends only on number of top gear teeth and number of bottom gear teeth (same as non-reverse chaincase). Should be able to find Polaris chart online. Also need to know which length chaincase (length = distance between jackshaft and driveshaft, e.g. 7.92"). If the lower gearset is 41 teeth then the chaincase should be a 7.92". Then a 20/41 setup will give you 2.05 gear ratio and use a 74 pitch Hyvo chain.

Premium Features