• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

I don’t get it, axys plug fouling

M
Feb 21, 2016
Bend, Oregon
if it's the same plug fouling every time i doubt a tps will help
No, it will foul both sides. It might foul the mag side more but I wouldn’t say that it for sure does.

I’d say it fouls two plugs every 100 miles. I don’t ride without carrying 4 spares.

I hit it pretty hard with injector cleaner last spring and it fouled with the cleaner on a powder day even.

mtncat1

Lifetime Membership
Oct 19, 2008
south jordan ut.
No, it will foul both sides. It might foul the mag side more but I wouldn’t say that it for sure does.

I’d say it fouls two plugs every 100 miles. I don’t ride without carrying 4 spares.

I hit it pretty hard with injector cleaner last spring and it fouled with the cleaner on a powder day even.
i just had to have my tps replaced due to chaffed wiring and they said a bad sensor . they said the wire was chaffing on the head . possibly something to check . a tps would affect both cylinders

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
So coil packs can go bad intermittently? Or cause a overly rich condition? Pretty sure I’ve swapped coils twice. 3 different wiring harnesses. Tons of relys.

It always runs rich and idles low. It will foul plugs wfo sometimes other times it will do long pulls ok but doesn’t pull like it should. It’s not strong at all, has full slp stage 2 and fresh top end.

Yes. When the spark system is not firing (for milliseconds) the fuel is still being injected. It’s hard to tell for the average person due to the design and operation of high energy coil pack systems.

When this occurs, fuel is still being injected and eventually loads up.

Like I said, there can be many different causes for this symptom, many more than I listed previously. But the coil packs causing this have become normal around here. They’re junk like most of Polaris’ electrical.

M
Feb 21, 2016
Bend, Oregon
Threw some new spark plug wires and caps on tonight. I think I might idle cleaner smoother, still is low 1200-1300.

Will ride it tomorrow, doubt it fixes the richness but we’ll see.

I found a set of coils in one of my parts boxes, I think they’re from a 2008 dragon that I parted out(low mileage, hit a tree) any reason to not try them?

M
Feb 21, 2016
Bend, Oregon
Runs noticeably better, got higher peak rpm’s then I’ve seen in a while.

But…

Fouled 3 plugs in about 10 miles… looks oil fouled to me.

Smokes more then my duramax, smoke is very dark, eye watering, nostril burning like no other two stroke. Leaves the snow dirty everywhere I go.

So we can rule out plugs and wires. Guess I’ll try coils next and work my way down?

B2966934-CB43-441B-A3BF-C0B7E59BDB7E.jpeg

BigAir

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Montana
I am far from an expert, but are you sure it is running rich and not over oiling? Is it possible that the electric oil pump is just pumping way too much oil?

HECKS

Lifetime Membership
Dec 21, 2007
Sylvan Lake, AB
No codes coming up regarding exhaust temp ? Have you cleaned your exhaust temp sensor at all ?
Oil pump is still the original ? Or has it been changed out ? Ohm out your oil pump plug, should be 1.8 ohm +/- 15%.

1670255148016.png

M
Feb 21, 2016
Bend, Oregon
No codes coming up regarding exhaust temp ? Have you cleaned your exhaust temp sensor at all ?
Oil pump is still the original ? Or has it been changed out ? Ohm out your oil pump plug, should be 1.8 ohm +/- 15%.

View attachment 396658
No codes that I know of, the check engine light isn’t on.

I have cleaned the exhaust probe before but not recently, I will do that and report back.

509_Colton

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 30, 2012
Yakima wa
Okay not that then on some turbo kits they mess with the clocking on oil pump thought that might be it

M
Feb 21, 2016
Bend, Oregon
Threw a MAF in, cleaned the throttle body’s and cleaned the EGT probe(caked up) plus swapped some differnt coils on.

Ran great, way less smoke and was actually not a total dog, seemed stronger then ever. I think it was the egt probe, it was not throwing a code but would take a unusual amount of time before idling down, the last time my cat did that it the next ride it threw the egt code so I’m assuming this probe needs to be replaced.

Unfortunately on my ride back to the pickup tonight it started acting like it was going to drop a cylinder and did. Thinking it fouled a plug I pulled them but instead of finding a fouled plug I found some plastic like debris jammed into one of them, smashed the tip down. Assuming it’s from the wrestling match I had with a down tree resulting in the sled being upside down living a less then glamorous life till we got free. I’m hoping whatever it was didn’t tear up the cylinder, it was dark and I was alone so I just wanted to get to my pickup.

T
Nov 21, 2020
Hope you're making some progress with your fouling issue. I solved mine with fresh plug caps, trimming the end of the plug wires 1/4" and some BR9EYA plugs.

Premium Features