• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How many of you would pay more $$ for a USA built sled

Would you pay more $$ for a USA built sled over a sled built in Mexico??

• Total voters

Bubba

Lifetime Membership
Sep 19, 2008
turkey ridge sd
move

My two cents, i seen what happens when the move manf to mexico i was part of it back in the late 90s, i will not say who it was but they were down there for tax breaks and chep labor, they were there for three years sale started going down in the ****er the finished product was bad, they went down with pepole from up hear to try and show them what to do but it did not help, so the big boys made the call to shut it down and come home before the went broke, it took some time to get there reputation back, so i know its all about taxs breaks and labor rates there's no benifits pakages paid for workers down there, thats my two cents.

likkerpig

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Business is business, any company that's saying it's not about the bottom line is lying. It always come down to profitability and with the world economy sucking there are a lot of companies struggling to hang on. I support the US every chance I get. How about a president stepping up and taxing the snot out of outsourcing to bring jobs back to the US?

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
it is interesting reading these responses while this year I am buying a Polaris after being on a Doo for 16+ years. I am in Canada and prefer to buy Canadian as I always found the fit and finish to be second to none. I will buy US if the product is superior or costs less and that is what I am finding this year for the first time, for my type of riding. The E-tec is the best but US Engineers have found my sweet spot for light weight and handling. Would I buy it if it was built in Mexico? No problem as long as it was not designed by a Mexican who never has seen snow.

S
Dec 10, 2008
Blades are still in production,never stopped.I believe they used to be totally US made when they were using liberty twins..They are using Rotex 800s now.Their extremely durable chassis and suspension are still USA made for those willing to pay for that kind of quality.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Canada and the US are on a much more even playing field. Labor, EPA crap, legal issues etc are much more even than shipping production to Mexico. Mexico wins all those categories and only loses on the corruption and crime measures. I wouldn't want to be a Polaris exec working in Mexico. Having to live in a compound and travel with security would suck. Couldn't bring your family, too dangerous. There is a great article in Outside magazine Sept 2012 issue about outdoor gear companies bringing production back to the US from China and the advantages of that. Called insourcing. I agree with the poster above who talks about the unions ruining business in the US. Unions ran Boeing out of the NW. They got so militant and threatening that Boeing moved their headquarters to Chicago(one reason), they were actually being threatened. It is so bad they didn't even want to be near production in all the new facilities in the south. Our unions up here are trying to stir crap up in the south. They will be in China soon too. If my employees were in charge of my business I would be bankrupt in less than 2 years and my business is rocking right now. Doing a huge expansion as we speak.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
From a prev post..

Correct me if I'm wrong... but all this Hoo-Ha over unions... they only account for about 11 - 12% of our total workforce in the USA.... That leaves about 90% of the USA workforce.... NON UNION... The trend continues downward.

Certainly not the reason our economy is having trouble... but certainly a "smoke and mirrors" reason that some are giving...

Back to the topic...

Has ANY of the sled motor production of BRP or PI moved to Mexico??? I don't think so but prove me wrong.

Jan. 27, 2012 Union membership in the United States slipped last year to a record-low percentage of the workforce. (click here)

Data released Friday by the U.S. Bureau of Labor Statistics showed that a slight rise in private-sector union membership was offset by a loss of unionized government jobs.

The bureau said labor unions represented
7.6 percent of private-sector employees in 2011. The percentage who were actually union members was 6.9 percent, which was statistically unchanged from 2010.

Meanwhile, 40.7 percent of public-sector employees were represented by unions. The percentage of government workers actually in unions was 37 percent.

All told,
the U.S. union membership rate was 11.8 percent of the total workforce in 2011, down from 11.9 percent a year earlier.

plumnuts

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Right side of Washington
short answer, no I would not pay more... but on the other hand if I like it and it costs a lot more, like a BMW motorcycle or Mustang GT I buy it

Premium Features