• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How many of you would pay more $$ for a USA built sled

Would you pay more $$ for a USA built sled over a sled built in Mexico??

• Total voters

mmsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Preston, Idaho
hubsperformance.com
To me its simple economics

I live in a small that is on the boarder Idaho and Utah with a Big city just 30 miles south of us it just kills local businesses. I just hate when we send money out of the country it does not help the economy at all.
Its like the local County That we pay all of our taxes to.They shop for all there ATV and cars and trucks out of the county. So they take the money the local business supply them with and go to Utah and buy there supplies. Now that makes no sense at all.

OK I am done that is my rant for the year.

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Everyone is out for themselves.we live in a world of me me me. It is one thing to go out of town once in a while but it sucks when you have to. I guarantee some of the people who want you to feel sorry for them for losing their job at polaris have done the same thing. I would imagine everyone is a little guilty. don't get me wrong. I don't like to see people lose their jobs. People don't think about stuff like this until the shoe is on their foot. I have seen a bunch of small dealerships fold up because of this and, to me, they are the ones you get the best service from. People would drive 500- 1000 miles so they could get the cheapest snowmobile but if something goes wrong they want the dealer in town to fix it. If people say they would pay more that is where it should be payed. Not to polaris or whoever the brand may be.

C

Clarke673

Somewhere between too dumb to quit and flat earth
Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
I live in a small that is on the boarder Idaho and Utah with a Big city just 30 miles south of us it just kills local businesses. I just hate when we send money out of the country it does not help the economy at all.
Its like the local County That we pay all of our taxes to.They shop for all there ATV and cars and trucks out of the county. So they take the money the local business supply them with and go to Utah and buy there supplies. Now that makes no sense at all.

OK I am done that is my rant for the year.

VERY well put. We operate a an automotve buisness/towing and we get murdered by the big city chaine stores that simply can do it much cheaper than we can. IT sucks!

Teth-Air

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Calgary AB/Nelson BC
www.specified.ca
Get used to it and don't worry too much. Reading this thread I can comment from a Canadian perspective. We Canadians, especially Western Canadians have never had much for manufacturing or manufacturing jobs. This said we are mostly doing well. We have had to exploit our natural resources, heavily relied on employment through sales, distribution, and service.

The U.S. Americans should be very proud that their home grown companies are successful enough to set up in foreign countries. It is much less to be proud of, when foreign countries set up their companies in your country.

Sure it doesn't help with low paid jobs but most large U.S. companies also sell into foreign markets and the money from the sales flows back to the U.S.

It bites that we have to buy all our products at U.S. based stores such as Home Depot, Costco, Wallmart etc. knowing that the revenue largely heads south. (These are all great stores, just wish we had more decent Canadian competition)

The U.S. people must pull back and look at the big picture, you have a huge market, and just must learn to be adaptable. You are largely well educated, realatively wealthy and are cultured to be competitive.

In addition, small manufacturing locally can never be competed against as freight costs from far off lands are just too high. It's only the large volume manufacturing jobs that will move.

Would you rather have a job on the assembly line when you should set your sites on a management career with one of these sucessful companies?

REKXP

Lifetime Membership
Jan 17, 2009
North Idaho
I bought a Canadian made sled and I am very happy with it. Before that was an American made Polaris with a Japanese "Fugi" engine. I was happy with that. I have had German made guns, Japanese made guns and happy with them. I have had "American" made cars/trucks and Japanese made cars/trucks and for the most part pleased with them. The list goes on and on.
Now when it comes to Chinese made products and Mexican made products, more often than not I am not pleased. However I still seem to buy on price alone for some reason. You almost always get what you pay for. You can go to almost any store and see stuff made in China that is really a waste of resources (junk). Mexico maybe isn't quite as bad but they are not the player that China is.
Polaris is a bigger outfit with a good name. I am sure they will keep making a quality product. It is too bad American jobs will be lost in the name of making more profits. (I don't know anything about the profitability of Polaris). I don't know if I would pay more for a snowcat made in America. I still shop on price and quality. I bought the Ski-Doo because that is what I wanted based on several things other than price and origin. Price is what got me to do it when I did though. If it had been made in Mexico I probably would have bought it as well if the quality was there. If it had been made in China I think I would have gone with a different brand.
I just don't think I would pay more for an American made snowcat unless it stood out from the competition. I am proud to be an American and proud of American made but price seems to get me every time.

C

catmanm8

Nov 12, 2009
Fort Collins, CO
I got to laugh....Skidoo guys bashing Polaris for parts made in Mexico...their sleds aren't USA and their ATV's were Mexico built years ago....lol....and Arctic Cat.....Suzuki sounds USA to me..lol...Yamaha nuff said....I don't like Polaris making parts in Mexico either, but it is what it is....Most of the more vocal bashers will whine about it, then jump in their Toyota and drive home...
Real is real....look in your garage, then speak....

REKXP

Lifetime Membership
Jan 17, 2009
North Idaho
I got to laugh....Skidoo guys bashing Polaris for parts made in Mexico...their sleds aren't USA and their ATV's were Mexico built years ago....lol....and Arctic Cat.....Suzuki sounds USA to me..lol...Yamaha nuff said....I don't like Polaris making parts in Mexico either, but it is what it is....Most of the more vocal bashers will whine about it, then jump in their Toyota and drive home...
Real is real....look in your garage, then speak....

Really!?. What are you reading? Come on man read it the way it is written! Don't make more out of it than it is.

D

diggerdown

Apr 25, 2004
Deer Park Wi.
All that foreign stuff is junk! My golf clubs had the head cast in China, shaft made in Indoneisa, grips made in Mexico and the damn things hit crooked.

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
Lets keep exporting our jobs. That way we will be too poor to be able to buy these products.

I know it is more complicated than that, but in this case it is not really.

Right now = Polaris is using Minnesotans to assemble snowmobiles
Future = Polaris using Mexican workers to assemble snowmobiles

Net result = Less Minnesotans assembling snowmobiles means less dollars flowing around the US economy to buy stuff.

Less ability to buy stuff, means other workers make less stuff to buy, they get laid off, and then they cant afford to buy stuff either, leading to more and more of a downward spiral.......

Whenever possible, buy American assembled/made stuff....... (Given similar product appeal-ability, quality etc)

E

EagleRiverDee

Dec 15, 2009
Eagle River, Alaska
I have to say no because sleds are getting so expensive now that it's almost as expensive as an economy car. Four wheelers are getting the same way. It's just gotten crazy and I hate seeing this sport turn into a "rich man's sport". That's not how it should be. I support America and will buy American when I can, but I have a limited amount of funds to use and this sport is tremendously expensive as is.

W
Nov 27, 2007
Eliminate domestic corporate / business taxation. Tax the individuals when they take profits from the business, and or the profits are taken off shore. (Stock options included) Companies from around the world would be banging at the gates to set up shop here. Companies do look at the quality of work force when picking a site. IMO this incentive would outweigh cheap labor.

J
Jul 21, 2008
Kirkland
Made in America

The only thing the average American company does well it screw its customers with bogus products i.e. 1st year Pro-climb (I am a AC/SKI Doo owner) and short changes its workers at almost ever turn. Bye pension, bye health care, bye full-time, no raises, etc.

All this buy American reminds me of the washed up superstar athlete always talking about the glory days. It's really sad but mostly annoying.

The best American companies are the small business (usually family owned) across this country who for the most part are just trying to make a living but also seem to care about their customers. Like Xtreme Motorworks in Preston, WA. They keep me riding when I don't have the money. I don't have many other companies examples like that in my life.

Those are the American companies I like to support. Even if it cost a little more.

Dartos

Lifetime Membership
Sep 6, 2001
Craig, CO
Why would you pay more?

Polaris already has the vast majority of their snowmobile parts produced in the USA and have the same or lower prices than their competitors.

P

Polaris pride

Apr 5, 2011
Hell yeah

I buy USA stuff as much as I can. I will (and usually do) pay more for it. If Polaris moves to Mexico, I'm goin to cats.. even though they weigh 9000 pounds..

Premium Features