• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Holy frickin Proclimb buying frenzy!

S

Shortcut

Feb 27, 2010
You've got a sandy clam for some reason, I spent most if not all of my time on this side of the thread until I finally got sick of feeling I was being jerked around by AC and bought a poo.

I'm not here to stir **** on this side of the forum, I just saw this obviously wrong thread and tried to come over here and keep it from getting even more ignorant than it already was.

I could walk into any UT dealer and get one tomorrow, that's not a buying frenzy. If anything its a product shortage as result of manufacturing problems,not as a result of high demand.

I'm saying that from the very start of this flop AC screwed it up every chance they got. The launch was late, the sleds they had on display the year prior were cobbled together, no demos available and THEN the natural disaster that screwed everyone.

So just in case you missed it the first time and third times, the Tsunami wasn't the cause of AC's problems it only compounded it.

Stop then. You don't have a sled from AC that your waiting on, and you've already picked-up your Poo. Stop whining about something that has no effect on your life. That is stirring ****!

madmax

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Salt lake city
You guys are funny. Some are complaining their Cats are late and others complaining about not enough.
They can't build them any faster or in larger numbers and get them to you before winter.
It is what it is. Cat plays it low key and is a profitable company. Live with it.
I don't even think there was an engine shortage. They are gettin all they asked for and all they can put in sleds before winter. There is a shortage compared to demand, but that's a good thing for them. No hold overs. Maybe next year you can get one.

Owen

Couldnt have said it better myself.

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
Not controlling your parts sourcing, or having a back up plan is also a sign of lack of planning. In either case Arctic Cat was late to market with production ready sleds for demo, and they have and continue to be behind in delivery of pre-sold sleds.

P.S. I love how sensitive some of the people in this part of the forum, whats even funnier is that you actually took the time to leave bad feedback.

Duc:

Back up plan? For a chassis that can only fit in THIS four stroke engine? What would your back up plan be?

Prior to the disaster, a tsunami threat to production probably was not on the minds of our friends up in Thief River Falls, MN at Arctic Cat, nor Suzuki for that matter.

I guess in your mind, every potential natural disastor should be planned for and contingincies made up for everything.

I can see a production manager at AC telling his/her subordinates:

Production manager: "Hey Joe, I need your meteorite impact disaster plan on my desk by 8am Monday morning"

Joe: "What the..........."

Production manager: "And then I want you to plan production alternatives if the earth is sucked into a black hole......."

Joe: "I need a cocktail..........""

Give me a break Duc!

Last edited:
T

Turbo11T

Nov 26, 2007
Lake Crystal, MN
For me it is not so much the sleds coming in late as it is that cat keeps pushing back my build date. I can only get stranded on third base so many times before I get pissed.

But back on task. . . The sleds are selling because turns out they are badass!

T
Mar 12, 2011
...There is a shortage compared to demand..

I humbly disagree with this part of every comment I have read on every forum for the past two months. The shortage is on the supply side and that may seem like splitting hairs but it is not.

We know it is a supply shortage because no good company takes orders (not talking about snow check, but DEALER stock orders, in Mar/Apr for a seasonal sales item), and then waits until October to tell its seasonal dealers that "by the way your stock order is cut, (and the profit you thought you would be making is therefore being reduced)" because we screwed up on demand and took six months to figure that out!

If dealer orders hadn't been cut in October and there was still a shortage then yeah, that's a demand shortage. They then further cooked their goose by issuing a press release early on (as it was snow check season) that "We do not believe that Japan will effect our delivery" or something to that affect.

Last edited:
K

Kruchy

Sep 30, 2009
Goodsoil, SK
Didn't believe it would affect delivery because they did not expect the spring order demand? I do not know but I do think this whole thing is stupid. If you do not have a sled coming or want one than beat it. Guys trying to figure out what the problem is and have no intentions in buying a Cat or have money invested in the company is plain stupid.

T
Mar 12, 2011
Didn't believe it would affect delivery because they did not expect the spring order demand? I do not know but I do think this whole thing is stupid. If you do not have a sled coming or want one than beat it. Guys trying to figure out what the problem is and have no intentions in buying a Cat or have money invested in the company is plain stupid.

I did order, am waiting, long time Cat buyer! (Glad I kept one to ride)

It took them six months to add up the spring order and dealer order numbers and realize they couldn't fill them all? Doubt it. They wouldn't let their dealers go six months thinking they would receive product the factory would have known it didn't have capacity to build in May.

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
I did order, am waiting, long time Cat buyer! (Glad I kept one to ride)

It took them six months to add up the spring order and dealer order numbers and realize they couldn't fill them all? Doubt it. They wouldn't let their dealers go six months thinking they would receive product the factory would have known it didn't have capacity to build in May.

The tsunami absolutely affected the ability of Suzuki to produce as many 1100's as Arctic wanted.

I think both Suzuki and Arctic Cat thought the rationing of electricity in Japan would not be as long or as severe as it turned out to be.

Those are the facts.......

A

aksnopro

Mar 11, 2008
Palmer, Alaska
www.mtfak.com
arctic cat produces 250 to 300 sleds a day depending on model. Americans building them in America. impressive this day and age where everyone is moving plants to Mexico ect. im proud of what they can do and the engineering marvels that us, as Americans are bringing to the sled industry. same with the sxs industry look at these long travel rigs cat and Polaris are making so sweet!

soon all the fingers will be pointed at cat no matter what when there plant comes up, being a brand new facility with suzuki still being part owner i have high hopes for this new facility it will be all new cutting edge motor building equipment!

go America!!!

-Aksnopro

Last edited:
T
Mar 12, 2011
I agree Jeff and ak, they are doing production as best they can and Japan DID have an effect. That was the point of my first post "this is not a demand issue it is a supply issue".

For more than two months I watch people post all over the internet saying what a great product cat has and how they can't keep up with the demand and the shortage PROVES it. I am as happy for Cat as anyone, have bought, am buying, will buy many more of these products. But that theory is WRONG. It just finally got to me that this wrong theory of why there is a shortage/delays is perpetuated. Rant off. I'm calmer now.

M

miko

Nov 28, 2007
So. Dak.
With the terrible snowmobile sales the last few years compared to 12 years ago do you think that maybe Arctic Cat wasn't prepared for the number of orders they recieved?

Also I have another question. I heard that AC will be making their own motors soon. Is this correct?

I have only owned AC and probably never change brands and would love to afford a new one but not the case yet. But if I could, I think I would be chomping at the bit to get mine in my trailer. I feel for you guys.

G

Going West

Nov 30, 2007
Canada
Call it what you want but our dealer has sold more this year then ever in his 20+ years with cat, so seems like demand is up quite a bit as well.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
So even if the disaster did effect they should just send us the chassis with no motor, would be pretty much the same as a pro rmk except towing it out would be a little easier. lol

Plenty of sleds around here if anyone wants one, and my local dealer knows how to set them up to not have failures.

I kinda thought the 4 strokes where built by cat.

T
Mar 12, 2011
With the terrible snowmobile sales the last few years compared to 12 years ago do you think that maybe Arctic Cat wasn't prepared for the number of orders they recieved?
I think they were completely prepared for the number of orders they received, that is why they allowed the dealers (like Harv at OK Tire in Biggar) order so many in the spring (Mar-May) and didn't say "Whoa we can't handle that!"

What they weren't prepared for was a shortage in parts/engine supply in October to fill the orders they already were aware of and prepared for. Thus even though dealers are having a good year in sales, they could have sold more if the units they had ordered in May could all have been supplied now. Remember dealers got their orders cut late, meaning Cat was ready and willing to provide units but at the last minute had to accept their supply chain issues could not be overcome.

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
...............I kinda thought the 4 strokes where built by cat.

The quad and side by sides (Motors) are built in Minnesota at their St. Cloud, MN facility, with the exception of the little 90 quad (Motor and quad frame). That one is entirely supplied and built in China......

Woody67

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 5, 2008
Bellingham, WA
The quad and side by sides (Motors) are built in Minnesota at their St. Cloud, MN facility, with the exception of the little 90 quad (Motor and quad frame). That one is entirely supplied and built in China......

Actually the 90 is built for Arctic Cat by Kymco in Taiwan. Also the 150, 250/300 utility, 250/300 DVX, 350/366 and 425 4x4 are all built by Kymco. Arctic Cat says they designed the 4x4 ATVs in their entirety and then had Kymco build them but I don't know if I believe it.

Kawasaki youth quads and now the new Brute Force 300 are built by Kymco

Many multi line dealers can have 4 or 5 of basically the same quad with different branding and body work on it.

Yamaha youth ATVs are now built by Eton in Taiwan. The OEMs say they can't make money on the small stuff building them in the US.

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
Actually the 90 is built for Arctic Cat by Kymco in Taiwan. Also the 150, 250/300 utility, 250/300 DVX, 350/366 and 425 4x4 are all built by Kymco. Arctic Cat says they designed the 4x4 ATVs in their entirety and then had Kymco build them but I don't know if I believe it.

Kawasaki youth quads and now the new Brute Force 300 are built by Kymco

Many multi line dealers can have 4 or 5 of basically the same quad with different branding and body work on it.

Yamaha youth ATVs are now built by Eton in Taiwan. The OEMs say they can't make money on the small stuff building them in the US.

Taiwan is considered to be part of China......

Sorry for the nitpicking

Premium Features