• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

You're 20 miles into the back country and somone detonates an EMP device...

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
...what do you do?

Am I nuts? Every single time I rode last year I was constantly thinking about that. Like if some piss ant third world country detonated an EMP device over the rockies and we were out sledding .... our sleds, GPS', phones, everything would be dead.

And nobody makes a true set of collapsable snow shoes.

THis was driving me nuts last year and now that its the season again its driving me nuts again. I wasn't ever worried about it riding dirt last summer.

Odd.

I don't know. Paranoid delusions are wild.

BossRev

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2004
Pleasant Grove, Utah
What the fawk have you been smoking? You have a better chance of getting laid..... Oh wait, maybe not. :boxing:

He must still be loaded from that contact high he got at the spring fling.....
Obviously making him paranoid and a bit delusional.

I'm positive Dogmeat, you are much more likely to burn down your sled or get stuck down in some nasty ravine and lose all battery power on your GPS, SPOT or cell then what it is you're worrying about. But good news! I hear H2snow is coming out with a new line of EMP proof clothing and backpacks..

H
Nov 9, 2001
Lincoln Nebraska
I have thought of this line of thinking more and more. Installing a generator hooked to the ole house this winter with my remodel. I figure I have 600 gallons of diesel in the tank and 10,000 rounds of ammo loaded at all times. Yep dont come knocking on my door.

S
Jun 11, 2006
Graham, Wa
strong solar storms can end up doing the same thing on a large scale, and thats a highly possible event comin up here soon....

what would i do? well now that u mention it... if i get me a new sled this year, a set of snow shoes might fit comfortably on the rear half of the tunnel? they dont weigh that much... and come to think about it... snow shoes wouldnt really be that bad of an idea as far as survival goes...

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
strong solar storms can end up doing the same thing on a large scale, and thats a highly possible event comin up here soon....

what would i do? well now that u mention it... if i get me a new sled this year, a set of snow shoes might fit comfortably on the rear half of the tunnel? they dont weigh that much... and come to think about it... snow shoes wouldnt really be that bad of an idea as far as survival goes...

Yeah I've been wishing somone would come out with a collapsable set of snow shoes forever now.

IDK, maybe the local hippi chapter has been draining their bong water in to the stream that feeds Vernal latley, idk.

throttlejocky316

Lifetime Membership
Feb 10, 2009
Bickleton, Wa
Am I nuts? Every single time I rode last year I was constantly thinking about that. Like if some piss ant third world country detonated an EMP device over the rockies and we were out sledding .... our sleds, GPS', phones, everything would be dead.

Thinking like that is gonna make people start packing more beer in their backpacks.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
...what do you do?

And nobody makes a true set of collapsable snow shoes.

THis was driving me nuts last year and now that its the season again its driving me nuts again. I wasn't ever worried about it riding dirt last summer.

Odd.

I don't know. Paranoid delusions are wild.

If this is a subject that interests you, then I suggest you read this book.
it is the best written "Primer" on the subject out there.

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/w/one...9780765327253&itm=1&usri=one%2bsecond%2bafter
88780477.JPG

Overview

New York Times best selling author William R. Forstchen now brings us a story which can be all too terrifyingly real...a story in which one man struggles to save his family and his small North Carolina town after America loses a war, in one second, a war that will send America back to the Dark Ages...A war based upon a weapon, an Electro Magnetic Pulse (EMP). A weapon that may already be in the hands of our enemies.

Months before publication, One Second After has already been cited on the floor of Congress as a book all Americans should read, a book already being discussed in the corridors of the Pentagon as a truly realistic look at a weapon and its awesome power to destroy the entire United States, literally within one second. It is a weapon that the Wall Street Journal warns could shatter America. In the tradition of On the Beach, Fail Safe and Testament, this book, set in a typical American town, is a dire warning of what might be our future...and our end.

Publishers Weekly

In this entertaining apocalyptic thriller from Forstchen (We Look Like Men of War), a high-altitude nuclear bomb of uncertain origin explodes, unleashing a deadly electromagnetic pulse that instantly disables almost every electrical device in the U.S. and elsewhere in the world. Airplanes, most cars, cellphones, refrigerators-all are fried as the country plunges into literal and metaphoric darkness. History professor John Matherson, who lives with his two daughters in a small North Carolina town, soon figures out what has happened. Aided by local officials, Matherson begins to deal with such long-term effects of the disaster as starvation, disease and roving gangs of barbarians. While the material sometimes threatens to veer into jingoism, and heartstrings are tugged a little too vigorously, fans of such classics as Alas, Babylon and On the Beach will have a good time as Forstchen tackles the obvious and some not-so-obvious questions the apocalypse tends to raise. Newt Gingrich provides a foreword. (Mar.)

A

ACMtnCat

Nov 26, 2007
Utah
Yeah I've been wishing somone would come out with a collapsable set of snow shoes forever now.

IDK, maybe the local hippi chapter has been draining their bong water in to the stream that feeds Vernal latley, idk.

Wing Enterprises made a snow shoe called the PowderWing. Totally collapsable and fits in a hip sack. I have 2 pair and have never taken them sledding with me.

ruffryder

Lifetime Membership
Aug 14, 2002
watching the movie "The Road" will get you in the right mindset for what might happen.

turbolover

Enduring the heat till Braap Season
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Rigby, Idaho
First off they aren't going to drop one where it would seriously effect you if you are 20 miles out.
The population base isnt dense enough to bother dropping one in the middle of nowhere. You cant sled in New York, anywhere up and down the West coast, St Louis, Kansas City, Denver(maybe).
These population centers are the prime targets for an EMP bomb. Effect as many people as possible. Dont piss em off and bring the wrath of the US by dropping a bomb on some poor sledder in the middle of nowhere.
Honestly with the disruption that that snow and the terrain we ride in causes to radio and cell signals, the EMP hit wont hurt you, the blast would have to knock you off the sled before I would worry about it.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

Premium Features