• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

HEATING An Enclosed Trailer ???

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
F
Nov 26, 2007
Airdrie AB
Are these heaters ventless (no propane smell) and can you run them with the sleds in the trailer, are gas fumes an issue? I have a conventional MR Heater and it will put you out of the trailer but do not like to run it with the sleds in the trailer and you get the smell from the propane need to leave the roof vents open for fresh air.

B
Nov 5, 2008
the downside to infared is it doesnt dry the water off the floor... unless you put a fan in your trailer... any ventless type heater will also create moisture.. the combustion of fuel creates moisture and without venting it you also have to be carefull about your oxygen levels...... wanna do it cheap??? pick up an old camper from some farmer and use the heater out of that... well your at it grab the fridge and stove... a pickup camper heater is about 10,00btu vented non-forced air... if you need more heat add another or find a wrickety old holiday trailer with a forced air heater... i just put together 2 free campers, stuck it on my goosneck and now have a warm place to sleep in the mtn.s :)

R
Mar 20, 2003
Great Falls MT
Firecat how you been still have the 07 interstate, I still have my 08 interstate. Yes these heaters can be run with the sleds in the trailer. Plcalnan has had one in all the trailers he has owned since Interstate first come out with there snow sport back in 1999. And they work great, He has had the infrared, and now as he was saying he is putting a blue flame in the back. Im just going to put a blue flame in the front of the trailer. We have used both 100 lbs mount outside and just 20lbs tanks inside of the trailer and no prolblems. the heatet barley has to work when you come off the hill and put the sleds in the trailer cause the heat off the engine works great also.

R
Mar 20, 2003
Great Falls MT
YES Every one that says that a forced air heat out of a trailer is great. you are right. I personally do not want to have to be worried about having a dead batteries and not being able to use the heater in the trailer if i don't have my pickup hooked up to it. I don't like the looks of the forced air heat, with the ducting. I am HOPEFULLY never going to have to sleep in my trailer. BUT thanks for the info

Last edited:
A
Jan 10, 2008
I have both forced air heater a suburban 20K I believe, and a Pro Com Blue Flame 30K. I have to say the pro com works just fine i hardly ever turn my suburban on. I do like not having to start the duramax just to heat the trailer for a couple hours. But you guys do what you want. Cause that is how USA works Just my $.02

bakininthesun

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Roy / StarValley Wyoming
Heater

I have a 5 brick Rani infared in my trailer,I put a 12 volt computer fan behind it to make it forced air. This fan rocks and I can only leave 2 bricks on or it will roast you out. I got the fan at Radio Shack for around 12 or so dollars.This set up dries out everything quickley.

M
Jul 5, 2001
Wyoming
I run forced air AND ventless

I have had my Ranni for 4 years now ( 5 brick also)30,000 btu- and let me tell you you CANNOT or SHOULD NOT run the ventless heaters running down the road....I used mine to heat up the trailer after I push the 1st two sleds out the front V door of my 28' Mirage.

These will ignite gas fumes as so will the blue flame heaters.
I run a 20,000 forced heater down the road to dry the trailer and clothes out- but trying to use it to get the trailer warm quick just doesn't work. This is where the ventless heater warms up quicky to get dressed...

The ventless WILL create moisture- and I have had the 12v radio shack computer fan on it with a turbo shroud- and it just doesn't spin hard enough to do any good-
Want a real air mover that works and heats the entire trailer with the ventless and the forced air?:rolleyes: I went to Flying J and picked up a 12v in cab fan ( for the semis) the one with a shroud around the blades. It has a hi/low/off and its chrome-and can be mointed any position.. for $28.00 this thing MOVES the Air :)

ALso get them propane tanks out of your trailer cause I can show ya pic's of whats left of an enclosed running a ventless down the road- fumes ignite not the liquid.. Propane or the fuel venting from your sled
just my 02

MD

bakininthesun

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Roy / StarValley Wyoming
heater

You are very right on the don't turn on the heater with sleds in it. I take my sled and all gas cans out be for turning on the heat. The sleds go in to the shop to dry off and the heater drys the trailer. TO ALL WITH OPEN FLAME HEATERS REMEMBER TO REMOVE YOU GAS CANS,that is of course unless you want to look like fire marshal bill ( yak yak yak yak)

T
Dec 15, 2007
Calgary
I have a 27 foot v-nosed enclosed trailer. I am running a 40,000 btu wall mount propane furnace that is mounted on the wall. It sticks out about 13 inches has 3 vents on the inside and vents directly to the exterior wall. The propane line runs down the inside of the wall along the bottom and to 2-30lb propane pigs on the front. It has a thermostat. This was the best money ever spent! Nothing neats coming back to the hotel at night cranking the thermostat full blast and let it go till morning. Sleds are totally dried off. It is essential to put a charging unit on the trailer hook-up so when the truck is running it charges the batteries in the trailer to run the furnace. If you want any emailed photos I would be glad to send them your way. I tried a norseman radiant in a smaller trailer years back and dont wast your money. If you want the chill off, buy a radiant heater. If you want a sauna, get a forced air furnace, be aware you will have everyone wanting to put there sled in your trailer,
Townzy

S
Dec 11, 2007
Milwaukie Oregon
propane tank location

I run a forced air only because we sleep in the trailer and I was unclear on fume issues with the other ones. If no sleep over night the simplier the better.
regarding tank placement, I put mine right in the front of the trailer inside the rounded nose. I made an aluminium cover to seal the tank from the inside of the trailer. was a pretty easy install.
good luck and for the record some sort of heat source is a must.

how about the mr heater 30000 blue flame with the built in blower? i just picked one up and plan to mount a 30lb tank up front outside... how did you guys mount your tanks? is there a mount kit available anywhere? i can mount 2 if that is what is needed to do. i am also installing a 800 watt 12v to 110v converter to run the blower and any trouble lights or whatever down the road. gonna put a deep cycle battery mounted up underneath the front that it will be tapped into, will run the electric jack also. will this charge off the truck going down the road?

any other pointers or tips when doing the install?

thanks and great thread

Last edited:

bakininthesun

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Roy / StarValley Wyoming
tank

The best thing I did was find a motorhome tank and install it under the trailer,the motorhome tank never needs to be recertified like the stand up tanks do. Check the junk yards around your area they always have wrecked or beat up motorhomes around. Here is a thought,I ran copper tube and no hose from the tank to the heater,i also put a quick connect for my BBQ in the same line.I ran all copper out side in a thick garden hose to keep from rubbing on the frame if something should happen like semi road rubber hitting under the trailer.

bakininthesun

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
Roy / StarValley Wyoming
tank

The best thing I did was find a motorhome tank and install it under the trailer,the motorhome tank never needs to be recertified like the stand up tanks do. Check the junk yards around your area they always have wrecked or beat up motorhomes around. Here is a thought,I ran copper tube and no hose from the tank to the heater,i also put a quick connect for my BBQ in the same line.I ran all copper out side in a thick garden hose to keep from rubbing on the frame if something should happen like semi road rubber hitting under the trailer. I just sold the trailer but you can see the tank in my ad under 2001 charmac 7000 dollars.

Premium Features