• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

has poo raised the hp up from last years sleds... 148hp

A
Jan 30, 2011
Palmer AK
Many of you have made my decision very easy and many of you guys have made it become harder. My issue is.. I have a 2008 m1000 that is basicly a 2010 besides the engine reverse. It has the full slp you guys know, it goes good... But i think i want a new sled now with all of your guys comments i catch my saying yes and no to a new 2012 pro. The skid is more advanced than the pro-climb everyone knows that and you can't argue,it puts more track to the ground period. But the engine is ok. So i want input how many of you guys have ridden both selds and in your honest opinions pro's and cons of both sleds. I guess what I'm saying is i cant afford both so i can only buy one. Thanks again

As soon as it snows you will know. Pretty dry here, it sucks.

440dart

Jan 5, 2008
montana
Not always. Sometimes you need to burn what you are using more efficiently. If its running rich it isnt burning the all the fuel. If you put a pipe on that more efficiently fills the cylinder than the stock pipe, you will get more power from that same amount of fuel.

With twins you are getting to the point that it needs more fuel to make more power, hence the numbers on the box.

I'd bet if you used that box to pull some fuel from the stock setup it would make power than it was in stock form.

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk

I use egts in coralation to wash and the plugs, my sled fouled plugs stock i did what everybody said not to and pulled out the intake baffels fouling gone it was still a c-hair on the rich side when idleing but damn near perfect at WOT, i put the slp pipe on and nothing changed i didnt run a fuel box when i was running the slp single. Maybe it was 5hp in the midrange well cool i pass the midrange in mili seconds iam either cruizing or WOT.

My point was that just because slp says it makes HP doesnt mean it does in the real world i really think when people buy the slp kit that there not feeling HP from the pipe but they are feeling it put down more hp to the track from better clutching that gos along with the kit. I have other reasons against slp but they do make some great products my twins have been the 2nd best purchase they make incredible HP and not finicky . I understand slp is there to make money but trying to sell someone on something they dont need that tells me there not 100% for the customers satisfaction

Last edited:

440dart

Jan 5, 2008
montana
Thought we were havin a paper HP race... My bad. Real world HP says stock for stock the pro runs with any mfg sled. Not callin you out just makin a point. Real world HP to the track is all that matters. If everyone is still keyboard racin that is. can we go ride yet?

I want a pro, i understand they pro is doing more with less i just want to have my cake and eat it too.

T
Nov 26, 2007
coeur dalene, idaho
as a nondenominational sledder. some of the stuff on here is pretty funny.
For whatever reason, the pro is the top stock sled out there today. It won't be tommorrow, but today it is. If you are on the fence, get one and than when skidoo or arctic is back on top switch to them.

jakey-boy

Lifetime Membership
Jan 10, 2009
Idaho Falls
instagram.com
There is no comparison between a stock pro with better clutching and a Stage 3 SLP pro. The pipe and fuel make a huge difference and on the mountain you can tell it is definitely 15-20 hp.

It really doesnt matter tho if you want the most powerful sled then buy any of them and boost it. If you want a fun sled that you wont stop grinning on get the pro and hope you aren't one of the unfortunate ones to lose a motor. Everyone I have talked to that rode that new cat chassis was very happy with the way it handled. It is very close to the polaris chassis so probably can't go wrong with either.

In the end the polaris chassis will be slightly more aggressive and the cat motor will be more reliable pick your poison. You will never have it all. Competition is to heavy between all the manufacturers to have the best of everything.

E
Jan 12, 2011
Is it just me or does our man fredw remind you of a Dr Suess poem?

I do not like it on the snow.
I do not like it where it goes.
I do not like it here or there.
I do not like it anywhere.
I do not like Pro-RMK.
I do not like it, Fred I say.

Would you ride one on a hill?
Would you ride one for a thrill?

Not on a hill.
Not for a thrill.
Not on the snow.
Not where it goes.

I would not ride it on the snow.
I would not ride it where it goes.
I would not ride it here or there.
I would not ride it anywhere.
I would not ride Pro-RMK.
I do not like it, Fred I say.

but then he'll ride one and be all

I do so like Pro-RMK!
Thank you!
Thank you,
Fred I say!
Thank you, a genius work that maybe fredw will understand.

Old Scud-doo

Premium Member
Dec 28, 2007
Middle Montana
Correct me if I am wrong, but a machine that has the skis up in a wheelie is probably getting better traction than a machine that has no ski lift.

I don't think that this statement is correct. I've ridden some machines that just ripped off the bottom end and felt fast but didn't really do much when you lined up to other slower feeling sleds. Hooking up but being coupled will not allow for the front end to climb on you. A lot of turbo's are running rear skids that don't allow the front end to wheelie...very much. They are definitely faster than a stock sled.

My father runs a complete stock 163 Pro. I ran the same sled but added a TIED secondary before I even rode the sled. Dropped it off when they were putting it together at the dealership. MY sled now has SLP stage III but at that time my sled felt quicker, and faster. Line up and virtually no difference. Just felt like it was though. So...I have to agree that sometimes higher HP or the illusion of higher HP means nothing on the hill.

Hurricane Tim

Lifetime Membership
Feb 4, 2009
I don't think that this statement is correct. I've ridden some machines that just ripped off the bottom end and felt fast but didn't really do much when you lined up to other slower feeling sleds. Hooking up but being coupled will not allow for the front end to climb on you. A lot of turbo's are running rear skids that don't allow the front end to wheelie...very much. They are definitely faster than a stock sled.

My father runs a complete stock 163 Pro. I ran the same sled but added a TIED secondary before I even rode the sled. Dropped it off when they were putting it together at the dealership. MY sled now has SLP stage III but at that time my sled felt quicker, and faster. Line up and virtually no difference. Just felt like it was though. So...I have to agree that sometimes higher HP or the illusion of higher HP means nothing on the hill.

Do you mean that the Tied clutch or the SLP made no noticeable difference compared to stock?

H
Dec 12, 2009
Polaris did their homework on this sled, and like it or not it IS the best mountain sled on the market. The design team realized that everyone spending big money on aftermarket parts is going for one of two things: weight loss and power gains.

It's far cheaper for a manufacturer to produce (in both the long and the short term) a sled with reduced weight when compared to trying to be the highest HP sled on the market (especially when horsepower doesn't always yield a direct correlation in performance).

They may not have made the riders that need the validation of having the highest HP sled happy, but they did make a group of discerning riders that know a good lightweight platform is the best place to start very happy.

I for one am glad they didn't make sled for people who are compensating for physical stature or intelligence... you know, the same group of people who list stupid things like sled modifications or current vehicles in their signature.

Last edited:
S
Oct 16, 2008
Polaris did their homework on this sled, and like it or not it IS the best mountain sled on the market. The design team realized that everyone spending big money on aftermarket parts is going for one of two things: weight loss and power gains.

It's far cheaper for a manufacturer to produce (in both the long and the short term) a sled with reduced weight when compared to trying to be the highest HP sled on the market (especially when horsepower doesn't always yield a direct correlation in performance).

They may not have made the riders that need the validation of having the highest HP sled happy, but they did make a group of discerning riders that know a good lightweight platform is the best place to start very happy.

I for one am glad they didn't make sled for people who are compensating for physical stature or intelligence... you know, the same group of people who list stupid things like sled modifications or current vehicles in their signature.

Lol

S
Dec 20, 2007
Correct me if I am wrong, but a machine that has the skis up in a wheelie is probably getting better traction than a machine that has no ski lift.

Ok, ill correct you. Your wrong. Traction can have that effect but skid action has more to do with it than anything. you take to sleds same track same same sled and change the rear suspension geometry and youll have completely different ski lift. Remember the old cats with the adjustable limit knob? You could twink that and make the sled walk on its tail all day long at 1/2 throttle. It wasnt a product of traction, rather weight transfer. (Correct me if im wrong.)

C

Clarke673

Somewhere between too dumb to quit and flat earth
Dec 2, 2007
Gardiner Montana
it's also kinda funny how much better my pro runs with some exhaust valve work, and better clutching. You can have your higher horsepower sleds. Out here in the real world, there are obsticles such as trees, rocks, crevices, cliffs, stumps, ETC. You can have 500 hp if your pockets are deep enough but your not getting to where i ride unless you can actualy ride your sled. The pro is simply the easiest sled to ride. It makes you better. It is a VERY good machine!

Premium Features