• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Has anybody had problems after installing high compression head?

tdblakes

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2010
Im having a hard time believing more clutch wt, will cure DET issues.Ordered the clutch kit from Carls today. Chris at Carls seemed to somewhat agree. But I will try it and see.

Think of it like this... At 50% throttle your ECU gives your motor X amount of fuel. If your over reving (maybe 7200RPM) at half throttle your motor needs more fuel or it will DET. If you're clutched correctly you will rev correctly at 50% throttle (maybe 6500RPM) and you won't DET... Thats how clutching fixes DET. That's how it was explained to me and those numbers I listed are just for reference but that's the general idea. My .02
Let us know how it works for you

2mileshigh

Nov 26, 2007
I hope thats true, i really would not want to deal with mixing fuel all the tme.The other thing that amazes me is, stock sled had 100lb of compression, with head now has 115lb. Just does not seem like I should be having DET issues at that #. Thanks for all the helpful ideas.

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
I hope thats true, i really would not want to deal with mixing fuel all the tme.The other thing that amazes me is, stock sled had 100lb of compression, with head now has 115lb. Just does not seem like I should be having DET issues at that #. Thanks for all the helpful ideas.

Static compression and running compression are two totally different things. Yes, these Pro's have very low STATIC compression, but not running. All in the porting and head design. Btw, yes, I had serious det issues with mine until I got it clutched right. I havent seen the det light since. Always in the midrange.

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
2mileshigh It's not more weight! It's the correct weight at the correct time in your power curve. Correct application of weight and the reason why you can't just get the same results from throwing more 10 series weight at your sled. THAT IS NOT HOW THINGS WORK. Also the reason why so many people are chasing their tales with variable clutch weight combo's at various altitudes. TINY variances of springs make result changes and what we are now realizing is large performance variations.

2mileshigh

Nov 26, 2007
Wow, i used to think that all that clutching stuff was overrated. How much can you really gain. But it seems like the more advanced these sleds get , the more it becomes a factor. I should see the Carls kit tomorrow.. Cant wait to try it.

2mileshigh

Nov 26, 2007
Update. Put the clutch kit in and DET issue was reduced but still there. Talked to Brad (1200PSI) He said to check TPS setting. Went through thread on TPS by AK.. My tps base was .731... set to .700..Problem solved. Running clean 91gas with no eth.. and no eth resistor.. all good..Thanks for all the help guys..

1200psi

Nov 26, 2007
logan ut
www.poweraddictionracing.com
Update. Put the clutch kit in and DET issue was reduced but still there. Talked to Brad (1200PSI) He said to check TPS setting. Went through thread on TPS by AK.. My tps base was .731... set to .700..Problem solved. Running clean 91gas with no eth.. and no eth resistor.. all good..Thanks for all the help guys..

Awesome go tear it up know . Glad everything worked out. Brad

Premium Features