• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

HANDY TRICKS AND TIPS

Minten

Lifetime Membership
Nov 6, 2010
Bozeman, Montana
Plastic zip ties and about 10' of thin wire are very handy in the backpack. You can fix almost anything good enough to get out if you have this.

Several years ago, we made a trailing arm out of a pine branch and zip tied and wired it good enough to get one of our guys out.......

I used zip ties to hold the piece of gauze on my leg after it was cut. Worked good in conjunction with some tape.

Pictures are a little hard to see but it's on there just fine.

http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd374/Minten46/IMAG0724.jpg
http://i1216.photobucket.com/albums/dd374/Minten46/IMAG0727.jpg

If you pause this video at about the :31 second mark you can see them better. It took 3 of them to get around my calf.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AdZ-vSzgKns

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
Be careful where you place gloves or other things under hood to warm up or dry them because any snow on hood will melt and drip thru the hood vents.

Duct tape - yes, wrap some around the shovel handle.
Strapping tape - very strong stuff, wrap some around the shovel handle.
Wire - electric fence wire or galvanized wire will not corrode like bailing wire

Candles - carry some of those little craft candles which are about 1.5" across and 1/2" deep and can also be used to start a fire because it is like a match that doesn't burn out right away. These are real inexpensive.

Zip ties - use one zip tie and zip the others onto it to keep them together, or bundle them and put a zip around them.

Foldable blade knife, magnesium block fire starter, a few snacks, handwarmer and/or footwarmer packs, a stainless steel cup - carry these on your person because you may need them if you get separated from your sled.

S

snow-seeker

Nov 26, 2007
Olds Alberta
Take an old flat head screw driver and use a parting tool to create a J hook near the blade. Also I put a V into the blade itself. You can still use it as a flat head screw driver if needed, but now it is a strong hook for exhaust spring you can either pull or push with.

I use safety wire on all my critical bolts. nsures they are there for the whole ride.

I also run safety wire through the centre of exhaust springs, connecting to both spring hoops. Great for turbo applications. If the spring breaks or pops off, it is not lost. Also the safety wire will hold the joint together enough to make it the rest of the day.

I replaced screw fasteners for body panels with Dzus fasteners with D rings on them. Then safety wire the Dzus fastener to the body panel. No more lost fasteners in the snow.

tomk

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2008
put hot pockets in you muff pot right when you leave in the morning, by the time you are hungry they are nice and toasty, or chicken pattys are good too:face-icon-small-win

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
as always..an oldie...if ya want an invisible second person drill a tiny hole in your throttle lever and have abit of fish line tied to a washer...
when ya sled alone and is stuck you can pass the fish line through the throttle lever and tug on it as you pull on the ski...as the sled moves forward the throttle relaxes..

you can do this to pop out of a hole and its like having that second person...or if there is two of ya,one on each ski and its like having the third person..

R

Ritfire73

Jan 5, 2009
Laramie Wy
Super strong and super cheap. I ordered five of them last year and gave all but one to my riding buddies.

http://www.amazon.com/Unknown-100-Mule-Tape/dp/B003Y58DL6/ref=pd_sim_sbs_misc_1

And the stuff works great!! We take it 4 Wheeling in the summer and ridin in the winter!! We used it to pull an 800 Can Am out of a mud hole, single strand, 150 feet (and the winch)!! Works good with your sled and 3 caribeaners too... make the first wrap to the tree and use the 'beaners to make a 2 to 1 or 3 to one and it will pull right out!

G

Geoff Kyle

Dec 14, 2011
Whistler
Nice info brotha,I like your ideas. I can tell you've gathered some good experience from your time in the backcountry

Ditto on the flares and mule tape. Got a couple hundred feet of it rolled up tight and zip tied under the hood. Carry a couple short lengths for towing duties so I don't have to break into the "stash" unless it's necessary.
ANother tip, get some plastic coated tie wire instaed of regular baling wire. It won't ever rust and make a mess. Bit thicker than std tie wire too.

I have to try the soup can/gas stove. Sure it won't blow up???
I carry a 5-6' piece of fuel line. Good for siphoning.
Carry a small hand axe. Haven't had to use it to chop down a tree, yet, the saw has always worked, but had to use it to do some frame straighteneing once or I wouldn't have been able to drive the sled out if I didn't have it to use as a hammer. Kepp it zip tied away too since it's not a day to day tool.

Those little cordura tool pouches from Occidental Leather, I think, make great tool bags. Have 2 for different stuff in the sled and they're waterproof (not the zipper).

Put a small spring loaded carabiner on the end of your tether. Much easier to get on and off with gloves on.

Best tip, let your wife carry the beer. Lightens your load and doesn't get a shook up. If by yourself, "sleeve" the beers in your spare gloves/socks. Keeps form puncturing the cans.

G

Geoff Kyle

Dec 14, 2011
Whistler
throttle cable repair

Just the other day I broke my throttle cable right at the lever where the cable comes to the head retainer. instead of limping it out I decided to try a more complex fix.
I striped the plastic sheathing and unwound the metal wrapping back approx 5 in. to expose the wire. I strung the wire back through the metal sleeve which secures the cable to the throttle housing. I then tied a small loop at the end of the cable and hooked it on the inside of the lever where the retaining head was once at. I used a couple of zap straps to take up the slack and presto I had a fully operational throttle and I rode the rest of the day with out troubles. Took 15 mins but it wasn't easy.--------GK

G

Geoff Kyle

Dec 14, 2011
Whistler
Ski mod

I found that cutting down or tapering the outside of some of the after market skis at thenlast 6 to 10 inches can help you initiate and carve a better turn in most cases. It allows your sled to roll over easier. This is not for every one because it is a dramatic change that can not be reversed.-------GK

G

Geoff Kyle

Dec 14, 2011
Whistler
Double Sled Double High

This is a tip my friend had told me about and I havn't tried it out yet. You secure the front of one sled to the tail of the other so there is no slack in either direction, forward or back. By using both sleds, one pushing the front sled and the other pulling the back sled at the same time you are able to get much higher. You might try this if it is too deep or steep for just one sled....

G

Geoff Kyle

Dec 14, 2011
Whistler
Poor mans Scratchers

If you want a cheap pair of scratchers or a back up pair, you can drill a hole in the tail of each ski and put a long bolt and wing nut combo through the hole. The bolt should stick down far enough to spray the snow up and on to your track.-----GK

C
This is a tip my friend had told me about and I havn't tried it out yet. You secure the front of one sled to the tail of the other so there is no slack in either direction, forward or back. By using both sleds, one pushing the front sled and the other pulling the back sled at the same time you are able to get much higher. You might try this if it is too deep or steep for just one sled....

That would make sense. I know from experience that if you have several Jeeps/Toyotas/Samurais or whatever 4x4 you run, and you all have tow bars on them, and you hook the tow bars to the hitch of the guy in front of you, there is (nearly) no mud hole you can't go through! It looks like a big caterpiller when you get four or five of them all hooked together. (Oh yeah, don't be the one in rear!)

We use the "short strap" method to tow a broken sled out. Take a short piece of mule tape, (or rope, tie down, whatever), and tie one ski from the broken sled tight to the grab bar of the towing machine, with NO slack.

Personally, I use just about everything mentioned so far except road flairs. I used to carry them, but they always seemed to fall apart. I carry three completely unrelated means to start a fire; #1 a small magnesium/flint/steel fire starter, and a chunk of old growth yellow fir about 2"X6". #2 four tampons (for gas and oil) and waterproof matches, #3 lighter and cotton balls saturated in Vaseline wrapped in aluminum foil, they all work.

I also have a para-tarp in my pack. It weighs next to nothing and doesn't take up any room to speak of. I also carry some twine with me. It's actually #60 gangion twine. I used to longline/crab up north and out west. I still have a net needle full of gangion material in every rig I own. Old habits die hard. All I know is it is strong and doesn't weigh much and is worth carrying.
I've made some good repairs with wire ties and mending twine. (Several trailing arms, one A-arm and one broken track).

In my opinion, the BEST way to learn what works for you, and what doesn't is to TRY it! Spend a night or two out there each year with what you normally bring with you. Even if you spend it next to the trail or even within walking distance of your rig. Try it all out, you may learn somthing. You do NOT want to be unprepared when it counts. We used to do it a couple times each winter when the kids were younger.

I think I'm going to try the track-winch thing next time I go out. I've been using a ratching tie-down for a mini "come-a-long" for years. This might be easier. (Not to mention a LOT faster). Thanks for that one!

Last edited:
G

Geoff Kyle

Dec 14, 2011
Whistler
That's a good call, much better to try these things out when it's not such an important situation, and to figure out the kinks ahead of time...

Premium Features