• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

HANDY TRICKS AND TIPS

G

Geoff Kyle

Dec 14, 2011
Whistler
Duct Tape Shovel

I found that a good place to keep some Duct Tape is on your shovel handel down close to the blade. I usually carry my shovel on the outside of my pack and it's quick and easy and I always know where it is if I need some. I wrap the tape around its self 20-30 times and it unravels just like it does on the cardboard roll and it also gives some grip and insulation when your shoveling from the cold --------GK

the fix-it guy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
cottonwood,mn
Very important tip: When you start to date a woman, make sure you don't enter into a relationship with a woman who's birthday lands in the middle of a prime snowmobile month. Sure as hell it will screw up at least one of your trips every year. You will already screw up one trip by having Valentines Day in Feb. so be careful!

I have found this applies to my kid's birthdays also, fortunately the only winter birthday falls close to valentines day. Two birds with one stone.

A

acutah

Nov 27, 2007
Kaysville, UT
Two things I always do on those extra cold snowy days.

1. Open a pack of those little hand warmers and put one in each of my pockets when you leave the trailer. This way when you stop to eat, talk whatever your hands will stay warm in your pockets. The cold sandwich is bad enough, its nice to have warm hands.

2. When I take my gloves off I always stuff them in my coat. This will keep them warm. How many times have you taken them off, set them on the handlebars, and then they're frozen.

The Fourth Wolf

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2008
Anchorage, AK
If you have a problem that leads to a little unscheduled winter camping....move to where the wood is before starting a fire.

Also, the sled eating tree wells make excellent impromptu shelters.

R

rkaminky

Oct 8, 2009
Denver
Two things I always do on those extra cold snowy days.

1. Open a pack of those little hand warmers and put one in each of my pockets when you leave the trailer. This way when you stop to eat, talk whatever your hands will stay warm in your pockets. The cold sandwich is bad enough, its nice to have warm hands.

2. When I take my gloves off I always stuff them in my coat. This will keep them warm. How many times have you taken them off, set them on the handlebars, and then they're frozen.

Take your gloves, goggles, balaclava, etc. and throw them under your hood when you stop. Dries them out over lunch. I have found that when you put gloves in your jacket they warm up but stay super wet because of your sweat evaporating.

Just my experience. Hand warmers are always nice on those extremely cold days.

A

acutah

Nov 27, 2007
Kaysville, UT
Take your gloves, goggles, balaclava, etc. and throw them under your hood when you stop. Dries them out over lunch. I have found that when you put gloves in your jacket they warm up but stay super wet because of your sweat evaporating.

Just my experience. Hand warmers are always nice on those extremely cold days.

Not much of a hood to lift up on my Nytro. No spot for a muffpot either. There are certainly tradeoffs to everything.

thumper450

Premium Member
Dec 4, 2007
Bozeman, Mt
This thread is for any tricks and tips that you've learned over your sledding experience or even advice you might have heard.....

The Winch technique:
Say your in a deep creek bed hole by yourself with a 10 foot wall around you. You can start diggin or you can try taking a rope and tie it to a track driver window and then wrap it several times around your track to give it as much surface area pressure so as not to put to much stress on your track window. Attach the other side of the rope to something secure like a tree and then use your 160 hp sled winch to pull you up to safty. Can be used to lower as well. No promises but you might like the results....------GK

Love to see some video of this!

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
Plastic water bottles with the neck cut off make for great impromptu gas transfer devices when your buddy runs out of gas........

Also no need to carry your fuel jugs with you all day. When you get to the start of your riding area, top off your tank and then throw the fuel cans under a "findable" tree and put a few inches of snow over the top...... Retrieve them on your way out..........

Jeff C

Lifetime Membership
Jul 4, 2001
Mahtomedi, MN
Plastic zip ties and about 10' of thin wire are very handy in the backpack. You can fix almost anything good enough to get out if you have this.

Several years ago, we made a trailing arm out of a pine branch and zip tied and wired it good enough to get one of our guys out.......

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
Ditto on the flares and mule tape. Got a couple hundred feet of it rolled up tight and zip tied under the hood. Carry a couple short lengths for towing duties so I don't have to break into the "stash" unless it's necessary.
ANother tip, get some plastic coated tie wire instaed of regular baling wire. It won't ever rust and make a mess. Bit thicker than std tie wire too.

I have to try the soup can/gas stove. Sure it won't blow up???
I carry a 5-6' piece of fuel line. Good for siphoning.
Carry a small hand axe. Haven't had to use it to chop down a tree, yet, the saw has always worked, but had to use it to do some frame straighteneing once or I wouldn't have been able to drive the sled out if I didn't have it to use as a hammer. Kepp it zip tied away too since it's not a day to day tool.

Those little cordura tool pouches from Occidental Leather, I think, make great tool bags. Have 2 for different stuff in the sled and they're waterproof (not the zipper).

Put a small spring loaded carabiner on the end of your tether. Much easier to get on and off with gloves on.

Best tip, let your wife carry the beer. Lightens your load and doesn't get a shook up. If by yourself, "sleeve" the beers in your spare gloves/socks. Keeps form puncturing the cans.

05rmksteve

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Sep 5, 2008
Brainerd, MN
I Carry Some 1" aluminum flat and 1" alum angle about 16" Long and various sized hoes clamps under the hood. Works great to piece together an arm or trailing arm. I Used the flat and 2 hose clamps to piece together a busted steering post to get a sled out of the back county this year.

B

bwylde

Mar 19, 2011
Vancouver Island
also, with the 10' of thin wire, and Duct tape, makes a good jumper wire. 3 wks ago, had to bypass the wiring harness on a buddy's turbo sled for the fuel pump(broken wire that we couldn't find) so i ran Duct Tape along a 4' piece of mechanics wire, folded it over, presto! instant insulated jumper wire, and think ahead and twist a loop on each end before the tape for the terminals, instead of wrapping the wire around.

W
Nov 27, 2007
When riding with the family we like to get in the middle of a good riding area, set up a base camp , start a fire, and ride in that area. (A good method for really cold days.) Doing this a few times a year helps hone your survival skills & lets you know what would be handy to have.

Goinboardin

Premium Member
Nov 15, 2009
Laramie, WY
Ditto on the flares and mule tape. Got a couple hundred feet of it rolled up tight and zip tied under the hood. Carry a couple short lengths for towing duties so I don't have to break into the "stash" unless it's necessary.
ANother tip, get some plastic coated tie wire instaed of regular baling wire. It won't ever rust and make a mess. Bit thicker than std tie wire too.

I have to try the soup can/gas stove. Sure it won't blow up???
I carry a 5-6' piece of fuel line. Good for siphoning.
Carry a small hand axe. Haven't had to use it to chop down a tree, yet, the saw has always worked, but had to use it to do some frame straighteneing once or I wouldn't have been able to drive the sled out if I didn't have it to use as a hammer. Kepp it zip tied away too since it's not a day to day tool.

Those little cordura tool pouches from Occidental Leather, I think, make great tool bags. Have 2 for different stuff in the sled and they're waterproof (not the zipper).

Put a small spring loaded carabiner on the end of your tether. Much easier to get on and off with gloves on.

Best tip, let your wife carry the beer. Lightens your load and doesn't get a shook up. If by yourself, "sleeve" the beers in your spare gloves/socks. Keeps form puncturing the cans.

A few backpackers use a tuna can and white gas for their camp stove (extremely light & cheap). I've never used gasoline, but I've also never seem gasoline blow up unless compressed/under pressure.
If you leave the lid partly on the can and punch holes in the top it will be more efficient too. This setup probably would be better for boiling water (could use your SS water bottle if that's what you use) then huddling around, but good to know.

Premium Features