• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Fix this fix that ?

polarisfornow

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jun 2, 2008
Beautiful Colorado
I would like to stick up for the midwesterners out there and say that I know that we prob mod our sleds more than the mountain guys for 3 simple reasons.

1) disposable income
2) too much time
3) no snow at home

The years we have some ride able snow back home my sled stays basically stock. In 08 when we had almost no snow back home I built my 800bb van amberg mod sled. :face-icon-small-sho

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
What he really got at was not about modding it, its about not making excuses for your lack of ability. Modding for fun is different.

To put it in different words

There are many that complain and say "my sled is not like yours it wont do that" or this sled just wont do that. The truth 90% of the time is you can't do it but the right rider can, so work on yourself first, extinguish every possibility that it may be you and not the sled and at that point mod the sled.
Being in shape helps you get to that point, instead of getting tired and avoiding the hard stuff.

I see it a lot and have got on that guys "old or stock" sled to prove its not the sleds fault. When I was learning and moving up I used to have another guy that is one of the best riders around, do just that. So when I couldn't do it or thought I couldn't, I would tell him my sled wont do it (just to get a response) and he would say something sarcastic or BS, so then I would challenge him with a bet or say prove it, or your full of it until he got pissed. Usually he would jump on my sled and half the time pull it off. (which is what I wanted) at that point it took away my excuse in my own mind and I knew it could be done and then within a few rides I was doing it at some level.
Most guys will get butt hurt and quit riding with ppl like that. I know, most of my chit talkin riding buddy's are no longer riding buddy's because they can't handle someone eliminating there excuses.

But since MM said "everyone" I just couldn't help but throw him some chit.

IMO being in shape and mods is not the issue for most, its there thinking. The first 80% or more is all about the thinking, then after your thinking is right and only after, its about your skill level and the shape your in to maintain skill level. But like he is doing, Being in shape increases your thinking because you are more confident, which in effect the thought plays a larger role than anything.

If you drop your pride, eat your words and take responsibility you learn fast.

A

aksnopro

Mar 11, 2008
Palmer, Alaska
www.mtfak.com
Wow, well said. When i first got my sled i was like holy cow i cant ride this pos! After 400 miles i felt confident, after 800 i knew i could do anything i could do on my old m and more,

I had both sleds sitting there at the Valdez hill climb, i was looking at the ol 10m going man i know i can hold you on your side no matter what should i just run you....

Then i told myself...you have ridden the piss out of this proclimb and know its
more capable, adapt!

Went out there and me and my buddy on his proclimb rocked it got 1st and second place times first run!!!

I made it up the hill almost every run, and let me tell you this course is an accomplishment to just make the course! The steep and deeeeep holding a carve past ruts!

I have adapted my riding it took a while, but handling wise, i can now look point and go anywhere i want.....

Adapt!!!! Its funner then complaining.

Good post!

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
hmm, first ride, needs fixed.
Like to the point I wont ride it until it is,
did steering mod, WOW, huge difference but still sucks on the downhill sidehill. and kept going from there. Today, stock PC, still needs fixed.
AND I can prove it.

Lifetime Membership
Apr 27, 2002
Spooner, WI 54801
www.4seasons.com
Well what if I like blaming it on the sled!

Everytime I get stuck "Huh the dang thing just cut out on me" or "I tried and the wide front end just kept pulling me down" or some lame excuse!

NEVER that I just ran out of talent.

KJP

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
wyo,

when you first got on the 05 M chassis did you want to reinvent its wheel too?

The first time I stepped from my ZR chassis to an M, I went out 3 days later & bought an M. It was CLEARLY superior, just needed power.

If you really think the move from ZR was the same as the move from the M, you're nutty. The M was a HUGE move in the right direction for mountain riders, the PC was CLEARLY a step back, but it was obviously a compromise to put the trail sleds ahead, and keep them all in the same chassis.

Got to be honest, on the snow as well, I don't remember hearing people bitch about the M7 like they do about the PC. All last year there were guys I rode with complaining about their PC's. (mostly belt issues though)

I'm not wanting to bash the thing, but I'm not going to sit here & let people say that this thing is so awesome without some rebuttal. It's a good sled in some ways, and it stepped backwards in some other significant ways, while the competition is LEAPING & JUMPING forward.

H

Highmarker

Nov 20, 2004
In the west!
Guess everybody's opinion is different. I might be a minority here, but I could not stand the M cassis! Felt like a boat to me. I have always rode a Doo and thought people were just crappy riders who complained about the XP's handling. I really like it.
However I have always wanted a Cat for the motor and reliability. No Way I was buying an M, but then came the Pro Climb. I bought one, and although I do not think this sled is even close to perfect, I like it way better than the M!
Still thinking its time to go back to Doo though with the XM. Cat wasn't what I hoped it would be. And that XM rips!
As for Polaris, chassis feels pretty good. Bars suck, motor sucks, track sucks. Would be my #3 choice. I know that is not popular opinion, just saying that some sleds fit some people better than others. That's like saying my Ford is better than your Dodge and I can PROVE it. Nope...

Thank god we all have a choice.....well except for Wyo....he is sooo talented, that no sled manufacturer can keep up with his skill! :)

Last edited:

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Said like a true flat land ditch banger! lol

Any XP rider is in heaven on the PC.
Come ride with me and you will know very quick why we like the M or the pro, its a matter of rider style.

H

Highmarker

Nov 20, 2004
In the west!
Said like a true flat land ditch banger! lol

Any XP rider is in heaven on the PC.
Come ride with me and you will know very quick why we like the M or the pro, its a matter of rider style.

Nope actually lived in and rode the Wyoming mountains my entire life. Probably some of the same country you ride. Although my keyboard is not quite as fast as yours! LOL.

N

nort10

Oct 8, 2010
Lolo, MT
Nope actually lived in and rode the Wyoming mountains my entire life. Probably some of the same country you ride. Although my keyboard is not quite as fast as yours! LOL.

haha you only have 9,372 post to catch up with Wyo...he is a pro at posting on here too...just saying!

mmsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Preston, Idaho
hubsperformance.com
Thank for hacking thread

Its amazing how fast a simple thread about reminding guys to not only get there sleds in shape and serviced for the year but to remember to get them selves in shape. Turns into a bash and this is whats wrong with the PC .

What happened to our Moderator O ya I got fired.

I am slowly getting in shape running 2 miles a night working my way to 10 miles I am hoping to drop 20Lb by December.

Good luck and see you on the hill.

R

RCR3

Nov 14, 2009
Lava Hot Springs, ID
The M was and still is my favorite chassis! But the 800 and 1000 are under powered and heavy (1000) but put a good running 900 stand up engine in it and the power delivery is second to none!

I HATED THE M FOR THE FIRST YEAR I RODE IT UNTIL I STARTED RIDING THE SLED AND NOT THE SLED RIDING ME!

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Its amazing how fast a simple thread about reminding guys to not only get there sleds in shape and serviced for the year but to remember to get them selves in shape. Turns into a bash and this is whats wrong with the PC .

What happened to our Moderator O ya I got fired.

I am slowly getting in shape running 2 miles a night working my way to 10 miles I am hoping to drop 20Lb by December.

Good luck and see you on the hill.

Then why not start a thread that says, "Are you riding your sled or is it riding you"

Your post was pretty specific on the fact that some mod for lack of ability and agility.

I'm not arguing that point either, just sayin.

If you where having any kind of issue with riding your sled, and I quoted your first post to you at that instant I think you would understand why my response was what it was. Although I see both sides

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007

Then lets ride, you can report back on the results.
Where do you normally ride.
P.S. the Big Horns are pretty much flat.

H

Hillclimbpro

Feb 11, 2010
Gillette, WY
I think we should just pick a place time and date. Then we can all meet and ride together and can all take lessons from Wyo. it would be like free riding lessons. SMH

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
I think we should just pick a place time and date. Then we can all meet and ride together and can all take lessons from Wyo. it would be like free riding lessons. SMH

Only thing I require is you bring an attitude.
I can
I will figure it out
If anyone can do it I can do it

In other words if your one of those ppl MM talks about that blames the sled or snow or whatever you will not be happy.

H

Hillclimbpro

Feb 11, 2010
Gillette, WY
Only thing I require is you bring an attitude.
I can
I will figure it out
If anyone can do it I can do it

In other words if your one of those ppl MM talks about that blames the sled or snow or whatever you will not be happy.

I'm being serious. I would say centennial (snowy range) I know it's not the best but it would be kinda in the middle for people to meet. I would say sometime in January. Wyo you should start the thread to see where people would like to meet and when.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
I am too, not in a cocky way either but get together and learn, I want a challenge more than anything. Weather there is a challenge or not, I still really enjoy helping others excel, thats why I said what I did about attitude, which is basically what MM is talking about. If you want to dominate you have to have the mentality that you can.

There was a thread about that once and it got pulled, it would almost have to go to the general or foulded plug section.

Premium Features