• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Used mountain sled recommendations

J
Mar 2, 2024
Creede, CO
New to the forum and looking for some advice. I currently have 2 skidoo Summit Everest sleds, a 2009 800 154 and a 2010 600 143. I live in Colorado and ride deep powder at 10-12,500 feet elevation. I ride pretty aggressively and both of these sleds are adequate for the conditions I ride in.

I am looking to pick up 2 additional sleds for my kids to ride next season. I will also be purchasing a 4 sled trailer so budget is a priority. What machines would you recommend? There are tons of machines in my market area and I am going to be shopping this spring and summer when everyone is upgrading.

Most of the sleds I see in my price range are from 2006 and older. I am not brand loyal but do not ride with anyone who runs arctic cat so fill me in on any machines I might be missing out on.

Is there a minimum track length or lug size that I need to stay above to maintain the performance I am looking for? By performance, I mean not getting stuck constantly. When I ride with our club, we are constantly digging out the Indy and Yamaha touring type sleds.

Thanks, James

BeeDoo

Premium Member
Feb 12, 2008
UT
For some perspective... my kids (12 and 11) started on smaller sleds -- Yamaha XL-V and Yamaha Phazer, but those are only decent on the trail/road. Now they can handle and ride a 2010 Skidoo Summit 600 144". Anything less than that and they'd be stuck off the trail.
IMO the XP models are pretty good mountain sleds and pretty reliable too. There are also millions of them out there, so it's pretty easy to come by parts if you need to replace anything.

P
Apr 5, 2019
La pine, Or
How old are the kids? Budget for sleds?

An m7 in that era was a dam good sled for that year range and are pretty cheap. Big thing for them is to change diamond drive yearly as most don’t have a sight glass or dipstick and they will strip gears so fast with no lube unlike a normal chaincase that requires loss to keep that chain alive(don’t actually piss in a chaincase as it will not work great but you get the point)

C
Nov 29, 2008
Not sure re your budget but here 14-15 -16 pro & summits are going for 4k-6k Canadian...not worth going older to save a grand .....

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk

B
Nov 11, 2010
Salmon Arm BC
13/14 XM is best older used mountain sled going right now. Very reliable and capable machines. Choose your track length and lug depth as there are a ton of options. the 2015+ T3 was a big improvement on those sleds for deep snow performance.

A
Mar 9, 2008
Definitely agree with you getting some "newer" sleds for you and giving the old ones to the kids. 15/16 Summit T3 are available for 4-5k ready to ride. 13/14 Summits would be around 3-4k, both are a nice upgrade from what you have.

Premium Features