• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Digatron EGT probes coming loose

W

Wood

Dec 7, 2007
Has anyone had this problem? I lost one motor because of this.....bought new compression sleeves/nuts, used high temp retaining compound and checked them after only a short time and same problem. What is the deal??? Anyone?

T

TheBreeze

Jul 23, 2008
Sussex, Wisconsin
The problem sounds like you are not using weld in bungs. The clamp on bungs are NOT the way to go. Get the bungs welded on, and your problems will go away.

W

Wood

Dec 7, 2007
What's the diff? It's not the clamp that's coming loose...it's the compression nut/probe.

coyoteman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
carson iowa
Clamp on ones must get to vibrating or something, we have had the same problem. Weld on fittings cured our problems too.

R
Dec 2, 2001
Spokane WA
Heres what I think happens; the nut is about 1/2 inch wide and your wrench is narrower so after they have been tightened a few times the nut gets mushroomed and wont clamp against the ferule. Ive had this problem many times over the years so I keep extra nuts and ferules in the tool box. You can get them at Ace Hardware pretty cheap. I agree the weld ins are better, they are typically a little taller and steel instead of brass

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
also note that you get intense sound wave vibrations plus the high heat intensity in different locations through the exhaust...in a very very rare cases you have to move to a new location. VERY RARE

Just get weld on bungs and do it right...in almost every single occasion that will fix your problem.

I have clamp on style egt sensors and need to convert to weld on style. Does the clamp and stud on the clamp style sensor screw off so I can use the same sensors? Do you grab onto the square piece on the sensor and back off the sensor?

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
on the southland and egt probes the cap is universal..just weld on the bung and screw down just as you did with clamp ons.

When you remove your probes the ferel is pressed in place (normally) and holds to your egt sensor...the cap moves freely above. You have to buy the weld on fitting you cant just peel the base off of your clamp ons.

guys with coated pipes..sharpy draw a circle around a nickle with your intended PROBE PLACEMENT hole in the center...grind off the coating just to the circle...weld will run perfectly to the edge of the coating. Nice install

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
Where do you ground with the nickel method?

Clean a spot on the inside of the pipe or will the ground go through the coating?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Features