• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Did I buy the wrong snowmobile?

440revNL

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 7, 2022
Canada
Hey, so I picked up my 2023 spring order, Ski-Doo Expedition LE 900 ACE NA. I was happy to have a reliable 4 stroke machine that will last me for a long time. But after a few rides, I'm not satisficed with it. I miss the feeling of flying down the trails, corning fast, and hit the odd drift and get some air.

Our trails in my location are no longer groomed. So they are always non stop chatter bumps, small - large moguls. Also can get some large drifts after snowfalls. I've linked a YouTube video showing what the trails are like during a short ride today.

No doubt this is an amazing machine for even a casual trail ride like what I done today in the video below but I miss the fast going on the trails. Some extra info is I do not have a cabin, cut wood, haul anything, or hunt. So right now it's a glorified casual going trail machine right now. I will 2 up ride with the missus a few times a year. I'm also waiting on my snowcheck 23 RMK Khaos 155, so I will use that machine sometimes around here when the snow is deep and I go off trail exploring or make a road trip to the mountains. So because I will own a Khoas with a 2.75 lug, it is swaying me away from just getting a Switchback Assault with a 2" track. I'd like some separation between the sleds and their use scenarios.

Should I have gotten a Expedition Xtreme, Lynx Xterrain Brutal as machines that are marketed as the do it all sled and can be ridden rough? Or should I get a Indy XCR 136 or a Switchback Assault or XC and get a older used Expedition for the odd 2 up ride or day I might break a trail at the start of the year. Either way I go it's about $20,000CAD or more after taxes. Hell, did I make the right decision lol?

What do you think? Any thoughts would be appreciated that could help me make a decision! Thanks for your time and input!

hansenmac

Lifetime Membership
Oct 22, 2012
Deering ND
i have seadoo spark with the ace900 and an ecu reflash changes the attitude of the engine alot. that and some clutching to match would give it some more zip but probably void some warranty.

440revNL

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 7, 2022
Canada
freeride 146 would be the only machine i would use in your location
I thought about just getting a Switchback Assault 850 with the 2" track for do it all, but I like the separation in the use case of the sleds. No good for the month of January where it's anywhere from -25C to -55C.
I rode only a 2014 Summit 146 for a winter couple winters and it did not like trail use or going around town because of the hard pack snow.

C
Nov 29, 2008
Hey, so I picked up my 2023 spring order, Ski-Doo Expedition LE 900 ACE NA. I was happy to have a reliable 4 stroke machine that will last me for a long time. But after a few rides, I'm not satisficed with it. I miss the feeling of flying down the trails, corning fast, and hit the odd drift and get some air.

Our trails in my location are no longer groomed. So they are always non stop chatter bumps, small - large moguls. Also can get some large drifts after snowfalls. I've linked a YouTube video showing what the trails are like during a short ride today.

Yes ...wrong sled. Nice machine (we have one for taking my 85 year old mother for a ride) but not for flying down the trail and hitting drifts ...
Great utility sled but definitely other more playful rides available

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk

440revNL

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jan 7, 2022
Canada
Yes ...wrong sled. Nice machine (we have one for taking my 85 year old mother for a ride) but not for flying down the trail and hitting drifts ...
Great utility sled but definitely other more playful rides available

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk
For sure. I priced up some Xtremes and Lynx Xterrain Brutals but the price is about $2500 - $4000CAD more than I want to go with so I'm leaning toward a Indy XCR 650 136". Something that can take a beating over the rough trails. Thinking a 650 is a good motor to have a trail sled and the keep her pinned mentality hah. Being rated for 87 octane is a plus too since that's all we can get around my town.

Sled Solutions

SnoWest Forums Sponsor
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 3, 2007
Traverse City, MI
www.sledsolutions.com
For sure. I priced up some Xtremes and Lynx Xterrain Brutals but the price is about $2500 - $4000CAD more than I want to go with so I'm leaning toward a Indy XCR 650 136". Something that can take a beating over the rough trails. Thinking a 650 is a good motor to have a trail sled and the keep her pinned mentality hah. Being rated for 87 octane is a plus too since that's all we can get around my town.
You'll be shocked at the power the 650 puts out. You won't be disappointed!

Premium Features