• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

crank pinning

C
Dec 11, 2008
ontario
i have built a few low horse power cranks and had no problems but i just built a 1500 triple cat and it spun i have no problem welding cranks but i would like to pin this one as well could any one give me some ideas on what they do to pin them
thanks for any help

H

HDEMWET

Nov 19, 2010
i live in swastika, ont. canada
first make sure your crank is properly timed and balanced. Then a hole is drilled through the journal and into the crank. A solid pin is inserted which basically mates the journal to the crank, then the hole is welded over so that the pin can't come out. this can also be done from the end of the crank inwards. once it's all welded up, the welds can be ground flush and the crank rebalanced if necessary. You can run more boost, larger hp without as much worry of spinning your crank. Still a possibility though, and when it happens it's usually really expensive damage-wise

snownman

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 11, 2007
pinning...

the best way i've had them done is to bore from the end of the rod pin/crank journal centering on the seam between the two. drill in about 2/3 the thickness of the flyweight and pin it. pin size approximately 1.5-2.0 mm. you could run 2 pins if you have the access to drill/drive/weld pin.

Premium Features