• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Clutch won't come off with Water?

F
Mar 22, 2009
Littleton
I just went through this on an '01 1000 that had never been removed. Tried most of the tricks mentioned above with success and have two thoughts:

If you don't want to use a torch, use a small 1100watt fan heater, turn it on facing down on top of the primary and wait an hour or so. It will heat the aluminum up slowly and avoid any potential damage from overheating witha torch. The steel crank won't heat up at all so the aluminum will expand and help free itself. As said before, pump grease in, grease the threads on the puller good, a few layers of teflon tape and get a good cheater bar. It will sound and feel like you broke something when it gives. Smile, you won.

And don't be fooled by the "cheaper" clutch pullers out there. I twisted one of the cheaper ones up, so save yourself some time (and $$) and make sure its high grade metal. good luck,
oZ

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
I am not calling BS on this but could you please eleborate a little on how this works and where exactly you are placing the magnet.

Well the magnet i set on a block of wood so that the magnet is centered to the primary...what happens is that the manufacturer sizes the pto end of the crank after imitating the polorization of the protons/nutrons that the flywheel magneto does to the crank mass when the unit is in normal operation..what the magnet does is reverse this overnight affecting the diameter of the taper...hence the primary just falling off...the falling primary knocks the fridge magnet off the wood block and the residual magnetism in the flywheel then resizes the taper to operational standards for suitable reinstalling of the primary...hope that helps..ok i have to go...i have a tooth to put under my pillow..

S
Nov 26, 2007
Craig Colorado
Well the magnet i set on a block of wood so that the magnet is centered to the primary...what happens is that the manufacturer sizes the pto end of the crank after imitating the polorization of the protons/nutrons that the flywheel magneto does to the crank mass when the unit is in normal operation..what the magnet does is reverse this overnight affecting the diameter of the taper...hence the primary just falling off...the falling primary knocks the fridge magnet off the wood block and the residual magnetism in the flywheel then resizes the taper to operational standards for suitable reinstalling of the primary...hope that helps..ok i have to go...i have a tooth to put under my pillow..

LOL - That's some high quality bs there!:beer;

P
Jan 28, 2009
usk
for the best seal take and wrap it with tape so all threds are covered then take pipe dope (liquid thred sealant) and go over the tape it seals and you can not worry if you get some in the crank. this is what is used on water fittings so it seals and seals well ask a plumer

A
Nov 26, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
So who sells a good puller? As mentioned above there must be some bad ones. I called the local dealer and they told me $54 which is more then I really want to pay. I did a quick search on google and didn't really turn up any pullers stating they were for an M1000. The only reason I am now resorting to a puller is due to the problem of finding a 14mmx1.5 bolt long enough and with enough threads to work properly. I know several of you have posted that the threads on the clutch are different then 14mmx1.5 but I stopped at a local dealer and they looked up the puller and it showed 14mmx1.5 so if you still disagree please enlighten me.

K
Jan 19, 2008
Utah
The only ones I have had good luck with were the cat pullers.
The aftermarket ones "that I have used" were junk.
I have still bent a cat puller though.
I would think that someone makes one better than cats.
I know at the shop I worked at, we went through a few of them per season.
I think what would help is a sleeve that would support the smaller diameter of the puller... It seems that the small diameter always bends.

mmsports

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Preston, Idaho
hubsperformance.com
Puller

Why do you need a puller. I look at it like this you should only need a puller if you need a new clutch or crank witch one is it?

I have seen guy's take the clutch off to put a new spring on or weights just makes no sense.

K
Jan 19, 2008
Utah
Or its because you run a cat based 900 to 1150 and go through 1-2 billet spiders a year!
I know my pa does, so he needs a puller... 2-3 simons billet spiders and I beleive he is running a billet D&D now.
If someone has a fix, let me know.

KSH

Steering Wheel Holder
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Mar 22, 2005
Larkspur, CO
So who sells a good puller? As mentioned above there must be some bad ones. I called the local dealer and they told me $54 which is more then I really want to pay. I did a quick search on google and didn't really turn up any pullers stating they were for an M1000. The only reason I am now resorting to a puller is due to the problem of finding a 14mmx1.5 bolt long enough and with enough threads to work properly. I know several of you have posted that the threads on the clutch are different then 14mmx1.5 but I stopped at a local dealer and they looked up the puller and it showed 14mmx1.5 so if you still disagree please enlighten me.

Buy a good puller!!!!
My dealer just warrantied my M1000 clutch
"never been off since new"
They had to use a new puller with heat, then still had to tap it to get it to pop off.

C

cobbycat

ACCOUNT CLOSED
May 15, 2008
salmon arm, b.c.

that is some "car salesman" quality b.s.!! are you sure you are a plumber?:)

D

duc848

Dec 3, 2007
Brooklyn, New York
I am amazed that a thread can go on for days about pulling a clutch with a bolt and water. Just take it to the dealer and pay the half hour minimum and install the new clutch and its done.

Premium Features