• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Clutch won't come off with Water?

S
Nov 26, 2007
Craig Colorado
I don't think some of you are understanding this concept of using water pressure to push the clutch off of the tapered shaft. I was not trying to use the clutch bolt to push against the crank. The concept is that if you fill the hole in the clutch with water and use teflon tape to seal the threads that the added volume (bolt being threaded into the clutch) will create enough pressure to push the clutch off. Being that water is an incompressible fluid when the bolt is threaded in it creates a lot of pressure given that the water has already occupied any volume (space) that is available.

What I did not know is that the threads in the clutch are different from those in the crank.

What you don't understand is that you need to use a clutch puller along with water or oil to pull your clutch. If you are using the clutch bolt you are just creating pressure on your crank threads and exserting no pressure on your clutch. The threads on a puller are a bigger diameter and does not engage your crank at all. It pushes on the crank instead of pulling. Using a liquid compounds that push.
)I sure wish I could draw a picture):)
bottom line, you need a puller

A
Nov 26, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho
I understand that the threads are different between the clutch bolt and puller. I am not an idiot I know that threading the clutch bolt into the crank with water in it is not going to magically pop the clutch off.

So has anybody pulled their clutch without using a puller. Say I was to buy a bolt that had the same threads as a puller (14mm X 1.5) and filled the clutch hole with water and threaded it into the clutch. Wouldn't this provide sufficient pressure to push the clutch off? The reason I am asking this question is because I have read several posts about people taking their primary clutches off without a puller. The post above about skidoo's having the same thread on the clutch and crank clears up why I thought using the clutch bolt would work because most of the posts I have read say to use the clutch bolt. In the end I may end up buying a puller because I went shopping for a bolt today and could not find one but I have not given up as i think I located some all thead that is 14mmx1.5.

tundramonkey

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
MN
I understand that the threads are different between the clutch bolt and puller. I am not an idiot I know that threading the clutch bolt into the crank with water in it is not going to magically pop the clutch off.

So has anybody pulled their clutch without using a puller. Say I was to buy a bolt that had the same threads as a puller (14mm X 1.5) and filled the clutch hole with water and threaded it into the clutch. Wouldn't this provide sufficient pressure to push the clutch off? The reason I am asking this question is because I have read several posts about people taking their primary clutches off without a puller. The post above about skidoo's having the same thread on the clutch and crank clears up why I thought using the clutch bolt would work because most of the posts I have read say to use the clutch bolt. In the end I may end up buying a puller because I went shopping for a bolt today and could not find one but I have not given up as i think I located some all thead that is 14mmx1.5.

I don't think it will work with just a bolt (that matches the clutch threads) and water. The puller has a end that seats against the bottom of the hole in the crank to help push the clutch off.

JMCX

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Alberta
Yes you can use just a regular bolt. I have done it several times. You have to spin the bolt fast when using water. Grease works good but messy afterward.

The threads in my Cat clutch are 9/16" UNF

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
i have always just mounted a small fridge magnet 3/8 of an inch from my primary with the primary bolt removed and in the morning my primary is laying in the bottom of the sled nicely popped off...it has never failed me this system..still using same fridge magnet after 30 years...!!!!!

type_a_positive

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Mongo Norway
i have always just mounted a small fridge magnet 3/8 of an inch from my primary with the primary bolt removed and in the morning my primary is laying in the bottom of the sled nicely popped off...it has never failed me this system..still using same fridge magnet after 30 years...!!!!!

Uhhh....Criss Angel is a sledder??? Explains the helmet hair I guess.

B

Bubba700

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Nov 26, 2007
Rexburg ID
no offense, buy a clutch puller, its like 30$ plus shipping. Buy the right tool the first time then you will always have it. If you have one the water trick works like a charm. Thread till tight and give the end a lil tap and your done.

BigAir

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Montana
Yes you can use just a regular bolt. I have done it several times. You have to spin the bolt fast when using water. Grease works good but messy afterward.

The threads in my Cat clutch are 9/16" UNF
JMCX, is right. You do NOT need a clutch puller. Why buy a $30 puller when you can use a $2 bolt? He is right about it being a 9/16" NF bolt. I did not have luck with water, because I couldn't get a good enough seal. I have used both 20W50 motor oil and 80W90 gear oil with great results. The thicker the easier it is to get a seal. I haven't tried it, but you might not even need teflon using the gear oil when it is cold out. Fill to about half way up the threads and run the bolt in. Be careful not to overfill or you might not engage enough threads before it tightens up. I have pulled the clutches off my 800 RMK and M8 using this method. It does make a little bit of a mess, but cleaning a little oil out of the clutch bore and off the crank stub is not a big deal.

Last edited:

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
there are a million opinions but I'll throw mine in as its works like a charm every time.

get the puller or make yourself one with the right bolt...

put a good amount of bearing grease on the end of it and then tighten it down nice and tight. Wack the end with a hammer a few times, and it will pop right off. Water and tape, etc, etc - too much work. Dip the tip in grease and your set. Much easier. :D

A
Nov 26, 2007
Lewiston, Idaho

I am not calling BS on this but could you please eleborate a little on how this works and where exactly you are placing the magnet.

Premium Features