• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Black hills snow conditions--February--

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
J
Aug 14, 2001
Black hills snow conditions--Feb--pics

Trying to clean up the tread a little so we can see with ease. Going out in a couple of weeks. Any snow last night?

Joe

Last edited:
K
Dec 15, 2007
good snow

Been out 2x. The snow is holding up great.....trails in good to excellent shape. Planning on going back in couple weeks and not worried at all about the snow. Happy sledding

P

prairiebound

Dec 3, 2007
Snowed in the hills Monday and today. Not much. Maybe 6" in Lead. Was back down the hill by noon. Looked liked it snowed all day up there. Trails are good up north. Dropped off at Savoy on Sunday. Rode to Trailshead. Off trail is not as good. If you want to go fast off trail you will spend money fixing things. Rocks and stumps don't forgive much. Supposed to snow some all week and stay cool. Doesn't look like a big amount of snow. Just what they have been getting lately. Have not been south of Trailshead much. Deerfield Lake had snow 2 weeks ago so you can sled into Deerfield Lake Resort if you want. Probably a good idea to stay off the highline till the snow gets deeper. Going to ride the Mallo Camp area this weekend.

J

jr_amsoil

Dec 6, 2007
bismarck, nd
we found the most snow in northern part of the hills. we unloaded at big hill. and rode in the trees all day and firetrails.

D
Jan 4, 2008
MN
plenty of snow

Just got back Tuesday from out there. 5 days of riding and best snow I've seen out there, but theres no base so you'll feel the stumps, rocks, and logs but you kind of float over them unless you land on them like I did. Found spots that were over 3ft deep. If you want unmarked deep snow, go north of Trailshead and take a sharp turn off the trail and go up in the trees and find meadows on the otherside of them. Found a ton of unmarked snow and deep.

R

rookiesldder212

Dec 13, 2007
Redfield, SD
ditch pickle i think i saw you and some others on sat. right north of trailshead headin back in. I was on a 144 rev, with a green m7 and a short track polaris and arctic cat. Kinda cool to see someone riding who i recognized from the forums!

P

prairiebound

Dec 3, 2007
Snowing in the hills. My rideing friends are either in the big horns or broke down. Anybody riding on Sat. let me know. Does not really matter where I drop off at.

S
Dec 2, 2007
Sergeant Bluff
Great Snow conditions

Rode Friday and the trails were great, not one mogul even at 6pm riding back to Latchstring. The Black Hills have the best grooming schedule than anyone, better every year. Snow cover every where. Good snow in untracked meadows can easily be found right along the trails. It was a blizzard when I left last night. Saw many sleds headed west on I-90 in South Dakota.

C

crapchaser800

Jan 28, 2008
Sioux Falls, SD
Couple of us were in the Hills Feb 3-6 and was awesome. Trails best I've ever been on. Snow got trampled from weekend traffic, but you can explore and find lots of untouched areas. Dropped off Cement Ridge and found great stuff, buried my 144 quite a few times (might be operator skill too :D). Heading out again in 2 weeks, so I hope they keep getting snow.

snow_knight

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Black Hills,SD
Few pick of the hills from last weekend.. and the last couple are from yesterday.. :D.. best the hills have been in awhile.. found many of draws and little meadows with 4-5 ft. :D

100_1446.jpg

100_1450.jpg

100_1459.jpg

100_1455.jpg

100_1461.jpg

100_1520.jpg

Sturgis Sledder

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2003
Sturgis, SD
Snowing like a mutha grabba, schools out in Deadwood, Lead all day 1/2 day in spearfish and Sturgis. Supposedly about 8" in Lead.

S

shortstop20

Nov 26, 2007
South Dakota
We might come out next weekend again, if we don't go to Laramie.

We had a blast last weekend, all except for one of our riding partner's breaking his leg when he hit a stump and flew off his sled. :( I've only been to the Black Hills 12 times or so but I think last weekend was the best riding conditions I've seen there.

V
Nov 14, 2001
Huron, SD
We might come out next weekend again, if we don't go to Laramie.

We had a blast last weekend, all except for one of our riding partner's breaking his leg when he hit a stump and flew off his sled. :( I've only been to the Black Hills 12 times or so but I think last weekend was the best riding conditions I've seen there.

Where did your buddy break his leg? The reason I am asking is about noon on Saturday a buddy was driving back down to spearfish and ment the ambulance followed by search and rescue with two sleds and at about the same time we ment the game wardens with their lights flashing headed east by cement ridge. Hope your buddy is alright and yes the snow was very good. Still no base and miss more lugs after every ride but ohwell I get tired of trails.

S

shortstop20

Nov 26, 2007
South Dakota
Where did your buddy break his leg? The reason I am asking is about noon on Saturday a buddy was driving back down to spearfish and ment the ambulance followed by search and rescue with two sleds and at about the same time we ment the game wardens with their lights flashing headed east by cement ridge. Hope your buddy is alright and yes the snow was very good. Still no base and miss more lugs after every ride but ohwell I get tired of trails.

Yes, that was for our friend. It happened about 2 miles off of Trail 3, about 5 miles total from Big Hill Parking Lot. It took Search and Rescue 2.5 hours to get to us from the time we called 911. In the meantime we gave him all the coats we could, an emergency blanket, and built a fire next to him so he could stay warm while he layed in the snow the whole time. Not a fun experience. :( We couldn't put him on the back of a sled and ride out because his leg hurt bad even when we were just barely touching it.

Premium Features