• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Are Sled Prices Getting to High?

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
I bought a 2020 alpha new for 15,100ca otd 5 years later they are 26k. Wtf
The base model 2025 was under 20K cad otd at my dealer. If that model would have been available in a 165 I would have ordered one. Maybe the 154 is good and not to squirrely but I don't know that yet as the test rides are coming after the snow check. I opted for a 165 which I have now and some days that isn't enough (not lately though). My point is the base model is in line with Poo or Doo holdovers when you consider its 1 or 2 years newer with two years of warranty. It may not have the same level of accessories but its a viable option. Even compared to your 2020 its 1k per year which is still a lot but a little more understand able.
The manufacture's are not the total cause but they are getting their piece of the pie for sure. The suppliers are more to blame , during covid they learned to produce a little less product with way less people or cost. They are continuing on with this practice by producing just enough or just about enough product keeping the cost high due to the demand they have created. In the end we are all paying extra for everything. There is a lot more to this as we all know but this isn't the forum for it.

Griff

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Agree with Old and Slow. The base model was a reasonable buy, high yes, but in this market seemed fair. I ask myself how much performance and fun am I buying. Needed a demo ride so sat this round out, but ready to be on a Cat again. Hopefully 2026.

d1100t

Lifetime Membership
Nov 30, 2011
Saskatchewan Canada
The base model 2025 was under 20K cad otd at my dealer. If that model would have been available in a 165 I would have ordered one. Maybe the 154 is good and not to squirrely but I don't know that yet as the test rides are coming after the snow check. I opted for a 165 which I have now and some days that isn't enough (not lately though). My point is the base model is in line with Poo or Doo holdovers when you consider its 1 or 2 years newer with two years of warranty. It may not have the same level of accessories but its a viable option. Even compared to your 2020 its 1k per year which is still a lot but a little more understand able.
The manufacture's are not the total cause but they are getting their piece of the pie for sure. The suppliers are more to blame , during covid they learned to produce a little less product with way less people or cost. They are continuing on with this practice by producing just enough or just about enough product keeping the cost high due to the demand they have created. In the end we are all paying extra for everything. There is a lot more to this as we all know but this isn't the forum for it.
Agreed
I would have ordered the all black sled if it came in a 165.
I think cat would have sold a bunch of the all black sleds if they had some options like track length and electric start

Chewy22

Lifetime Membership
Oct 17, 2009
Montana
Agreed
I would have ordered the all black sled if it came in a 165.
I think cat would have sold a bunch of the all black sleds if they had some options like track length and electric start
Agree. I would have ordered the blk 165 ES without hesitation. I came real close ordering the base model as is. But I’ve been saying for a couple years now my next alpha sled has to be ES and 165. I do prefer 150s but with the alpha rail I liked the 165 over 154 on the ascender chassis. Sounds like the catalyst chassis works better and maybe would have been fine with a 154. Hoping to demo both on the 27th.

BIG64N

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Centralia WA
I personally have heard this debate as far back as the 70's when my father was a professional mechanic at a dealership and racing Skidoo's.
The new sleds where always too expense for some and the price of admission for others. I was a new sled buyer from my first new sled in 1997 through my last new sled in 2014 which I decided was my limit for paying new price. There are always so many good, slightly used, heavy with aftermarket parts, sleds available every spring and fall that I decided I no longer needed to purchase new. I picked up a 2021 this fall with every good upgrade money can buy for 10k that the seller had spent 25k on before tax and interest on financing. I am happy that enough buyers still pony up for the new sleds which I can then purchase at a huge discount when they see the next new thing. 😉🍻

P
Dec 15, 2018
I wonder that too. I mean after these few years the average rider can not tell much difference I wouldn’t think and so from here in out any make any year in good mechanical shape should be just fine. My dealer allways calls when his yearly guys trade in. So your right you can find perfectly great sleds for half price. Just have to know the o bees. Wouldn’t want to buy a rippers sled lol

kanedog

Undefeated mountain clutching champ of the world.
Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Even in Canadian pesos, $1845 in fees is ridiculous. Guess when there aren't many Cat dealers around, you probably don't have much choice.
$1,845 in fees is ridiculous.$2,924 in taxes is ridiculous. But hey, we have free medical and handgun sales are now illegal. Canada, land of the free!

A
Feb 22, 2022
Alaska
Most of the fees seem to be dealer discretion, I got my order for MSRP. I also checked similar sleds from Polaris and skidoo. Poo was a grand cheaper, but with shocks that I would immediately have to upgrade. The doo was almost the exact same price

kanedog

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
Most of the fees seem to be dealer discretion, I got my order for MSRP. I also checked similar sleds from Polaris and skidoo. Poo was a grand cheaper, but with shocks that I would immediately have to upgrade. The doo was almost the exact same price
Post invoice. I need a vision to dream about. Mmmmmm no fees

kanedog

Lifetime Membership
Oct 14, 2008
$110 tax. Whoooooooooa that’s orgasmic. 50% tax on wages, 12% tax on most purchases except food in Canadeh! Jello

Premium Features