• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Are Sled Prices Getting to High?

bobback

Lifetime Membership
Feb 21, 2008
"The Last Best Place"
It's a hard nut to swallow; a 20k+ sled. But on a normal snow season, these sleds are moving. I've been wondering for a few years how the heck all these people are coming up with that much money for a sled.

The older I've become; and I just turned 50 a year and a half ago; I realize life is short. If it's in the budget, and a person's finances are in align; well, why not get something you really want. Plus final payment isn't due till the fall. You'll forget about it soon enough and won't start thinking about it again till fall. Then once you pick the sled up, you'll be glad you pulled the trigger.

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
It's very hard decision for some especially when you pay cash as I generally do, yeah I am retired from my real job, but have seen and listened to a lot of people in my shop, asking where their cap is on a new sled.
A lot of us agreed that options (Like Polaris does) would have been great with tunnel and rail color options ect..ect- instead of a 1-2-or 3 and that it's with Cat.
$20K and over for a new sled is getting pretty high and can't really compare it to new car / truck as I can jump into them each and every day and get my thrill.
With fuel, lodging,-and eats... It's getting a bit out of hand to justify a $20K sled. I'll continue to ride, and be able to spend my money effectively, and admire the new shiny sleds ( and some behind a tow rope)

Me- I'll wait a year or two as we all know how the first year production can lead to a opps !!! no matter how many time pre-production models have (or at least stated) been tested for 2 years.
Glad I have passed the age when every year I had a new sled... My old 19 Alpha 165 is fine

D
Dec 16, 2009
Seeley Lake, Mt
I snow checked my 2019 Alpha. I got a 4 year warranty and a bit off of MSRP. Yesterday I planned on snow checking a 858. There was very little incentive to do so. Full MSRP and let AC use my $1,000.00 all summer and fall. The only benefit was a 2 year warranty vs a standard 1 year. AC needs to offer more incentive like a 4 year warranty then it makes it more palatable. I used the hell out of that 4 year warranty because they didn't get the bugs out of the new model. I'll ride the Alpha another year and enjoy it plus not have a sled payment.

cubby

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
I'm not sure the prices will ever stop going up, look at the price of SXS the new Expedition from Polaris is over 40k and my dealer here have lots of them already sold with some of them loaded with accessories that top out over 60k. For me I'm tapped out, I paid 16k for my 22 skidoo and for the 20 days a year I get to use it I can find better things to spend my money on then a item I don't use very often

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
$700 for their boards is too much, I wouldn't buy their Chinese made aluminum accessories. Aftermarket will do better.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I jumped over to the trail sled side of Cat's website for kicks. $22k starting MSRP for a thrundercat or ZR RR with a turbo 4 stroke. $19,500 for a ZR R-XC with 858 and G8 gauge as accessory. All that money for sleds you can't even take off the trail!

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
$700 for their boards is too much, I wouldn't buy their Chinese made aluminum accessories. Aftermarket will do better.
That is a good point. Still blows me away the hardcore boards are 4lb lighter than the stock composite ones. Aftermarket will probably be heavier than these.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
^true, but even if they are 4 pounds lighter (hmmm) I wouldn't likely spend $700 somewhere else to save 4 pounds, a little steep.

ratlover

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 6, 2021
Central IL
Were they not like 400$ on country cat before this new release? Now they are like 550$. 700$ is crazy.

I did see an evo front bumper in person. Much better than the old stamped garbage that was an option before.

tomx

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Bellevue, WA
www.youtube.com
My first sled in 2007 was $8k, Second in 2012 was $12k, third in 2020 was $16k. I'm looking at snow checking a new one this year, $24k is going to be hard to swallow and it feels like a big jump. For the first time I'm actually going to hold onto the old sled. Usually selling old one comforted the blow some. See how I feel in fall but my wife doesn't like it at all. Only sell I have is that she can now ride my old one. If they are $30k the time I go to buy one in another 4 years I'm probably going to start buying used. I really like having warranty though, it's come in handy many times.

There's got to be a ceiling, especially on powersports. How are they enticing new buyers? I can't imagine thinking about trying out something new and going in $20k on it. For now I'm hooked so I'll pay but I don't like it one bit.

Woody67

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 5, 2008
Bellingham, WA
That is where I'm at. I'm keeping my 19 elevated twin. Will update the top end and replace a few bearings this summer and ride it when the snow conditions are not great. Ride the 25 on the big pow days. Should get a lot of years out of both.
I rode my 24 M 600 154" 3.0 twice and sold my 22 M 8000 HDC 165 3.0 with SLP Stage 3 kit. You will never ride your 19 again after riding the Catalyst. Now the 154 or 165 for me for next year....that is the question.

Turblue

Lifetime Membership
Jun 11, 2004
Alberta
I’ve been riding in the mountains since 95….and I am truly passionate with the sport. Got my son and daughter into it also… I have to say I am completely done with buying anything new. It financially doesn’t make sense anymore..especially in Canada. I refuse to take on debt for toys.

I would really like to buy a new cat for next year….but at 24-26k and the amount of depreciation that’s going to be in the next few years it’s just not worth it.

Kudos to those that make it work.

Last edited:

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
The pricing is definitely getting out of reach for the average working guy. I am thinking Polaris and Skidoo will follow suit we haven't seen their 25 price yet. Andy Bevis had told me that AC costs had gone up 30 % so did everyone else's. I think the Catalyst will be cheaper to manufacture less parts and just simpler. It's the engineering and development is where the cost is at. Maybe in the future the costs can be brought back in line? Although it never seems to go down.

I feel for Turblue the cost for family fun is pricey. With trail fees, gas and oil you are around 75 bucks per day per sled depending on how much fuel is getting burnt. If his kids are like most they are coming home empty driving the cost higher. That is the problem with the cost a lot of guys that are buying are older and financially established for a young family its just not feasible especially in Canada.

Many of us have complained about the cost but bought one anyhow. What message does that send? AC will probably sell all they can manufacture so life will be good for them and for future development. If this sled is as good as everyone says no one will be riding next winter thinking man I would be having more fun if I paid a grand less. I hope AC realizes the leap of faith we have all taken for them, now they need to deliver a reliable awesome sled!

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
Christopher’s sled quote for insurance blew my mind.
I’m buying three good clean used no issue alphas for his one new doo. No reason not to, have yet to need warranty on any of them.

P
Dec 15, 2018
My dal t said on Tuesday he had allready ordered 18 catalysts. He said they garunteed he’d get what he ordered this week. I’ll call Saturday but I’d guess 25-30? @ 18-20k . That’s not to bad and it’s kinda crazy seeing as we have green grass and bear sightings right now. Better sell anything older than 24 soon or you’ll eat it pretty bad?

Turblue

Lifetime Membership
Jun 11, 2004
Alberta
I bought a 2020 alpha new for 15,100ca otd 5 years later they are 26k. Wtf

I have a 19 Yamaha sidewinder mtx bought used last year with elevate and belt drive
800miles on it.
21 mountain max for my son bought used this year with elevate and belt drive with 500 miles on it

16 m6000 for my daughter bought used 2 years ago. With 350 milea

I’m slightly over what a new turbo doo sled would be.

Last edited:
P
Dec 15, 2018
I was thinking when guy’s find out how much better the catalyst is why would anyone buy a ascender especially when used doos and ooos are so plentiful? I will say I sold my blast for more than I paid but that’s cause guys want them for little kids lol

X
Oct 8, 2009
I would love to have access to real #'s. Curious if any reluctance from consumers is offset by the increased MSRP. Unfortunately there is no way of knowing how many people didn't purchase based solely on the inflation. I do know if profits suffer, quality will diminish before the price does. In that scenario we all will be on junk.
The factory doesn't look at people who didn't buy. They look at the price elasticity of demand, which tells them the percent change in demand relative to the percent change in price. If the managers plot that curve over time, it gives them an idea of how the demand curve is shifting with changes in price. If elasticity is low, then the demand shock is inelastic, so keep raising price. If the demand shock is high, then demand was very sensitive to the price change. If that holds for a few years, stop raising prices. Essentially, prices keep increasing until there is a inflection point in prices. Given people are getting demotivated, it is a good chance they are at the inflection point. And, the assumption noted earlier is correct, you never lower prices because you want them to normalize in the market. To stimulate demand, firms offer rebates or attractive financing terms.

Personally, I stopped buying new 2014 because I could build better than what I could buy once the price broke through 15k. That use to be the price for a new sled with a turbo kit 10 to 15 years ago. At that point, I stopped buying new because I could assemble a better sled for less if I built it myself and each sled stayed relevant for 1 to 2 generations of a sled. That worked well for me because I never wanted the next year sled since mine was always better than next years option. The only time I have to reconsider is when there is an entirely new generation of chassis (not just a plastics update). Obviously, that isn't an option for everyone. I agree price are bad. But, until people stop upgrading every year prices will keep wratcheting up and it doesn't matter who is on the bottom end of the demand curve or the top.

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
Pc
I will continue to buy ascenders until the new sleds depreciate under 10k because they’re what we like and dependable.
I still have m5,m8 in original body and a couple 1990, 1972 sleds that have their place.
Number of available poos and doos sitting around at thousands off of too much won’t change that.

Premium Features