• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Another perspective

Sage Crusher

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Rock Springs,Wyoming
Wow^
IMHO - It would have been nice to put Cat under the water torture, shine a light in there eyes, and ask the certain questions as alike to what Geo pointed out.
A treat like that should get some excellant returns- not that most if not all the CAt sleds were trouble free- but it is almost MARCH !!!!!!- and they are doing the washer ( cheap) fix to bandaid the problem.
Now to only bring us a HIGH dollar Kevelar belt that will take heat- - (Yep said HEAT!!!) but denting the pocket book at the same time- Cat will still make the 083- it's a good belt they just made something to take the HEAT from their end product.

800 miles on a belt / should be checked for tolerances- it is a wear out item- as to why some of us change out in the field switch belts back and forth at least once a day- wearing the belts the same- getting the sled to respond consistenly- having two belts exactly the same.

Some of us would not be asked to return cause we might be a bit harsh on them- but for $12K and most cannot afford a sled every year- I wish they would address some of the quircks this sled has- cause it appears that they kept most of the good ones for themselfs.

I have no belt problems in 780 miles -like the sled- Who loves their binding stock secondary???

Good review though Dave- thanks for stepping up:face-icon-small-hap

S/C

Last edited:
G

geo

Dec 1, 2007
Kamloops B.C.
And that's the dilema here.

It's not so much about if or if not the PC is a great sled ('cause that will never be not debated), it's more about the complete opposite ownership experiences.

Why the difference in experiences? That's my perspective.

H

hatchers

Nov 26, 2007
North Utah
www.snowestonline.com
I've got 200 miles on my HCR 800 and no problems with anything, and the belt looks brand new! Love the sled!

thats great news and good to hear bro......Q: would you have the nards to discredit a hundred dudes whom all have belt issues on this sled? oh wait i forgot, cat sold 8000 units and only a hundred are his complining about said belt issue....wait a sec, if cat sold 8000 units im guessing 2500ish of those units are still at a dealership, lets account for the weak season and the fact that most bros dont post on this stupid forum...my math shows the prime number of bros is down to 115 bros, thus 15 out of 115 bros are not having problems, oh wait now things look pretty bad for cat.....i better revert back to 8000 bros and only a handful are here to complain, yes that sounds right:light::face-icon-small-con

Last edited by a moderator:

backcountryislife

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Dumont/Breckenridge, CO
I'm not quite going that far, I don't think he's completely trying to say that the issues didn't happen (and he did offer up the few issues he did see) but to ME... it's more important to get a fix & help for the ones with issues, than to make the ones without them feel all rosy about their purchase.

Now, while said engineer was there had Dave taken a sec to ask him about how cat was planning to help the people WITH belt issues... I'd be giving him WAY more credit right now.

I'm not wanting to paint DD as some kind of bad guy here, just mostly saying he rides like a girl...:face-icon-small-win :face-icon-small-ton

Last edited by a moderator:

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
Wow^
IMHO -
800 miles on a belt / should be checked for tolerances- it is a wear out item- as to why some of us change out in the field switch belts back and forth at least once a day- wearing the belts the same- getting the sled to respond consistenly- having two belts exactly the same.

Good review though Dave- thanks for stepping up:face-icon-small-hap

S/C

I normally rotate my belts just as you say, adjusting deflection as they wear, but I decided to see just how long this belt would last, I washed it when new and at about 250 miles I cleaned the belt and clutchs but since then I havent done anything to it:face-icon-small-coo

Dam Dave

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Oct 27, 2001
Montrose
I can assure they are aware of all the issues and they are listening, but not sure I will continue to share in the future :face-icon-small-con

L
Dec 13, 2008
Dave isn't coming on here talking about HIS sled & how he's happy with HIS sled, he's claiming that this entire group (huge group) was problem free, so that should mean that everyone else is fine as well.

My only issue with Dave's post... most of us don't exactly have some cat engineer hanging around our riding area... so it makes it seem a bit like a planted post to me. Just like how you don't expect a sponsored rider to start talking negatively about a product, I don't expect that I'll hear that from a guy who is hanging out with one of their engineers either.

I rode in a group of 4 last week & 1/2 of them had BIG belt issues, to the point that they were planning on selling (before talking to me) so to tell me that the issues are super rare or something like that is BS imo. (btw... that ALSO means that we had two in the group that ran GREAT, no issues...which is a good thing!)

As to personally hassling Dave, if he' can't figure out I'm being sarcastic about the riding thing... he's not nearly as bright as I think he is:face-icon-small-win

(People have talked about how possibly riding style is the difference between the ones with issues & the ones without. In YOUR case, I'm sure that's the situation, but not in Dave's:face-icon-small-sho)

I've got 38's going on this week, if that changes the downhill handling significantly, you'll soon see a glowing positive report about that, you're welcome to post about how terrible that is as well.

Btw logchain... got a challenge for you.

Come on here this week, and post ONE useful thing, help ONE person instead of bickering about what someone else has to say on here & creating more drama.... and your credibility will go way up around here.

All a person has to do is look at some of your old posts, that tells your story. buy the way do you get your drinking water from clear creek?

K

knifedge

Dec 20, 2009
Colorado
It seems to me that most cat riders on this forum have better knowledge/ability for tuning engine/turbo/chassis than most that are riding other brands. My opinion but maybe that speaks for the qualities and potential of the late m chassis and the present pc.

Premium Features