• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

AcmtnCat went for a ride.......(scary)

D

DragonFreak

Nov 29, 2007
Heber Ut
Yes that slide was crazy. The hill really isn't that big. I'm glad your okay Tim. I also slid a little avalanche of the weekend. It is a weird feeling

D

DragonFreak

Nov 29, 2007
Heber Ut
aefda0c8-1dbc-addc.jpg

Not huge but still it's an avalanche

W
Dec 31, 2009
Riverton area
Pretty Scary footage.....

That's incredible footage. These types of videos scare the crap out of me. I wouldn't think twice about climbing that hill. It didn't look like something that would slide, but obviously I'm wrong. You'll have to excuse me, I'm going out to do some beacon practice now....

J

JustinB

Dec 21, 2008
Judging from the vid, I too would have probably hit that hill. I consider myself cautious, but man that is a total eye opener. I hit hills like that all day and don't think they are dangerous. That video has really affected me and I will think twice about even the smaller stuff. Thanks for sharing and glad you're ok. Speedy recovery...

I know what you are talking about a couple of us up bountiful yesterday we on hills allot steeper than that. Im interested in what went though your mind Did you think to pull your av pack did you think to try to swim (looks like you started to) I have been thinking we practice and practice things till we do them with out thinking. But where we dont practice pulling the rip cord, did it even cross your mind? I noticed wireless bags being made now so others can pop your air for you.

Last edited:
A

ACMtnCat

Nov 26, 2007
Utah
Tim,
Glad your ok man. Ill drive, when your ok.....To Vegas. Not to offend anyone here. By all the time the invasion tour/u-crew dudes ride. Im not surprised by this. Im in no way saying your not safe or dont practice safe riding. You spend that much time riding sooner or later youll run into this. No matter how safe you are. Anything in particular you learned from this experience? Just curious. No, Im not one of those guys who thinks you shouldnt ride and live life.

This slope is steeper than it looks in the video. We have seen it slide on its own a couple of times. Don't climb over trees on a slope that you know has the potential to slide. This slope did look like it would slide. And gosh darn-it, it did!

A

ACMtnCat

Nov 26, 2007
Utah
I know what you are talking about a couple of us up bountiful yesterday we on hills allot steeper than that. Im interested in what went though your mind Did you think to pull your av pack did you think to try to swim (looks like you started to) I have been thinking we practice and practice things till we do them with out thinking. But where we dont practice pulling the rip cord, did it even cross your mind? I noticed wireless bags being made now so others can pop your air for you.

Reached for the ABS handle but had no time to pull it because I was using my hands to swing to the side and get away from the trees. The fall line took me directly at them.

If I was able to deploy the ABS I would have likely got stuck above the tree and got smashed and ripped apart by the huge chunks of snow that came through the tree's.

I truly feel like if I would have got the ABS deployed I would have still hit the tree's and been screwed with the bags acting like big anchors to rip me in half on the tree.

mtnpull

Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Heber City, Utah
www.uintarecreation.com
This slope is steeper than it looks in the video. We have seen it slide on its own a couple of times. Don't climb over trees on a slope that you know has the potential to slide. This slope did look like it would slide. And gosh darn-it, it did!

The slope is definitely steeper than it looks in the vid. We discussed it prior to getting on the hill, only had one person on the hill at a time and all of us had escape routes / plans in advance.

Tim, I would go as far as to say don't climb a slope that has potential to slide, let alone going above trees.

We don't know what would have or could have happened if you didn't get hung up in those trees. Could have been a complete burial, cpr or even a lost life?!?! We just don't know, those trees may have just saved your life!

There are a lot of scenarios that have played in my head over the last 24 hours and ultimately the outcome we had is one of the best possible IMO.

Glad you are okay. I can say after we got you out of that tree and knew there wasn't any life threatening injuries I simply just wanted to hug you cause I was so glad we didn't have other consequences to deal with. Sounds a little gay, but many people don't understand how you feel going into a situation thinking this may be a life threatening / saving situation and the joy you feel when you know that everything is going to be okay.

Dunatic

MODERATOR: Paid Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Jan 24, 2003
Plain City, Utah
HOLY CRAP!!! That made my stomach sink a whole bunch... You are very a lucky guy! Those trees came up insanely fast!! That kills more people in avys than being suffocated. Someone above was watchin out for ya :)

Incredible video, I am sure Craig would love to have that in his presentations.

J

JohnnyQuestUtah

Oct 30, 2008
Union Bench, Utah
Glad that slide didn't break all the way too the ground , We measured the snow depth in the same area yesterday, and in was 8 feet plus deep. Good chance its even deeper on that ridge line.

really great that your O.K. !!

Peace-

H
Dec 12, 2009
Nice to see this not turning into another forum members funeral.

@ about 14-16 seconds you had your hand on a branch, I know you had a lot going through your head at the moment but hanging on might have worked out.

H
Dec 11, 2007
utah
Glad everything turned out OK...and glad you were able to get out of there with only being banged up. I had a similar experience once...lucky to come out of that OK. When it happened, everything was in slow motion for me. This looks like it happened so fast, I was amazed you made it between the trees. Did you feel like things were in slow motion for you and thats what allowed you to get between the trees?

A
Apr 8, 2008
Bountiful, UT
Bone Chilling....

Glad you are ok, alot of bad things could have happened. Your number wasn't up that day. If your sled followed you, even with the way you ended up in the trees it woudld have been crushing, if you ended up being hung up across those trees and the sled followed you, would have been some serious injuries for sure...

I am positive I will see that video in the "know before you go" and any snowmobile related avalanche class for quite a few year.

That is my typical terrain, I never would have thought twice about playing around on that slope.

Did it break loose as you trenched down and came to stop or was it starting and that is why you got stuck?

BossRev

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2004
Pleasant Grove, Utah
Nice to see this not turning into another forum members funeral.

@ about 14-16 seconds you had your hand on a branch, I know you had a lot going through your head at the moment but hanging on might have worked out.

Those branches that he could have reached for ended up at the bottom of the debris pile. they were snapped by his helmet cam hitting them.

1MEX

Apr 19, 2008
915 to the 801
www.wr-products.com
WOW!! Glad you is ok man. Scary even watching it... Can't imagine if it would of been a bigger hill like the previous climbs and side hills I enjoyed watching you pull...

BTW, I got a m7 chasie that BB motor will slip right in :face-icon-small-win

Some :beer;:beer;:beer;:beer; and some time will heel you right... :face-icon-small-coo

P.S. I would of hit that hill too... :face-icon-small-hap

wjl

Lifetime Membership
Mar 29, 2008
Eden, UTAH
Holly crap, glad you are OK.
Just watching the footage make me want to clean my shorts.

Last edited:
A
Jan 3, 2008
Perry, UT
That video is incredible. Not only is it amazing to watch but it's also very benefital to actually see the hill, how it broke, and how it acted once it started sliding.

Get well soon and I'm glad you're still here on the forum posting.

Premium Features